Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
gray8188

Default Re: building a coolidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbright View Post
Those appear to be the 70% Heartfelt beads.

I'd go with the 65% beads over the 70% but some people like their cigars better around 70% so it is all personal preference. If you want the 70% just go with what your local B&M has as they do appear to be the exact same. If you want 65% just order online. They are shipped in a padded envelope priority mail and only take a few days. In all honesty the box would be fine in the cooler without beads while the beads are in transit for a few days. Just don't open the box or if you do just put a moist sponge in the coolidor. This is not really good for long term storage but for the 3 days it takes for the beads to get to you it is no problem.
Excuse my ignorance I'm still learning lol. But what would the advantages be with the 65% over the 70% beads? And anybody recommend a good cooler brand that tends to have a good seal?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #22
gray8188

And say I just put a half pound of beads in there does it matter how many cigars i have in there? I'm kinda slowly building my selection up. And will probably only have a box in there with 20 and maybe another cigar box with some random singles.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Most guys tend to overthink this process. I had five coolers up and running before I moved into my cabinet, and this is basically what I did:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
Coolers are very simple to set up.

1. Buy coole
2. Air out cooler for a couple days
3. Buy beads (or other humidification device)
4. Put beads in cooler
5. Add boxes and a hygro
6. Sit back and relax
A couple of other points;
  • I would rinse the cooler out with very hot water to help it outgas the plastic a bit. I found that if you rinse it out and let it stand open for a couple days (in the sun helps too) they pretty much lose the plastic smell. Not that I think the smell would be that big of a deal, but some guys really worry about it. I am one of the guys that do not believe the plastic smell will "permeate" your smokes. I had tons of cigars in more than one cooler for years and never had a problem.
  • I would NOT use chlorine bleach to clean out the cooler...!! Some guys recommend using a weak bleach solution, but I think the use of ANY chlorine in a cigar container is a very bad idea. Chlorine is an incredibly powerful oxidizer and just doesn't strike me as the right stuff for the job. Very hot water, a couple of days to outgas, and you will be good.
  • I also would NOT line the cooler with any cedar. You'll be occupying valuable humidified space and there is simply no need. Every one of my coolers held humidity flawlessly (and I used Heartfelt beads as well). Use the space for cigars, not linings.
  • If your cooler isn't full when you start it up, I always had good luck filling the unoccupied space with bubble wrap. No need to humidify airspace that isn't being occupied by cigars, I think.
A very famous cigar cabinet maker once posted that "....anything other than a cooler is an extravagance...." and I have to agree. Coolers are the best storage for the money there is....period.

Good luck - don't worry.....

N.F.H.

Last edited by BlindedByScience; 08-10-2011 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #24
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray8188 View Post
Excuse my ignorance I'm still learning lol. But what would the advantages be with the 65% over the 70% beads? And anybody recommend a good cooler brand that tends to have a good seal?
From what I have gathered based on other responses in this forum it is personal preference.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #25
Tyler

Quote:
As far as a coolers go I have a Coleman and am really pleased. Like I believe I said before it was $16 for this 48QT. In all honesty just go ahead and buy one like this because a) it is dirt cheap b) you will need a bigger one before you realize. I thought I would never fill this one up and I am almost at maximum capacity.

I have the red but they also make it in the blue as shown here.

If you buy your cooler in person let the lid drop shut from like half way open. If you hear a swoosh when it closes or feel it push air when it shuts closed then it has a good seal. You can also do a dollar bill test I guess but that is more for wooden humidors.

As far as the beads go, the benefit is that with the 65% beads your cigars stay around 63-65% versus the 68-70%. (The ranges are as the beads start to need recharging but in my experience they hold about dead on for a while). Now this next part is just my opinion and I am sure some others agree and some disagree. In my opinion anything above 67% makes my cigars too moist for how I like to smoke them. I prefer around 63% to be honest. So the benefit of 65% beads is that they keep your humidor at a slightly lower humidity. It comes down to personal preference, like I keep repeating like a broken record haha, on how moist you prefer your cigars. Like anything in life people may tell you that one way is the sure way to go and others tell you the exact opposite is the way to go. It ultimately comes down to your preference really. It also isn't that big of a deal as all this makes it seem. Just buy a cooler and some beads and you are set.

Last edited by Tyler; 08-10-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added cooler info and picture
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #26
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
I see you guys all referenced the Heartfelt beads, are the Heartfelts better than the Shilalas? Just trying to decide which ones to order when I am ready.

Heartfelt Link

Shilala Link

Both websites have a lot of information as to which product is "best". Although I am biased both are good products. There is also a lot of info on Cigar Asylum about these products; Search is your friend

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #27
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

Quote:
  • As has been mentioned, 65% vs. 70% beads is personal preference only. Get a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them what their preferred RH is. You'll probably get answers from 55% to 75%. Most guys run 65% as their set point, which actually means the box will be 63-63%. My cabinet runs about 68% during the summer months. Honestly I can't tell a whole lot of difference....
  • For coolers, I found the type with the "loose" lid, rather than a lid on hinges typically seal better. With these types, if there's a seal issue, you can line the lip of the lid with weatherstripping tape (thin adhesive backed foam) and that will take care of it. I never had to, FWIW.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #28
gray8188

Awesome guys thank you so much for all the quick responses. I'm pretty excited to do this hopefully ill get the cooler this weekend, and I think I'm going to go with the 65% beads. and just one more question is it okay to use trays like the one in this pic :http://www.cigargadget.com/spanish-cedar-cigar-trays/
And does it matter where the beads are placed?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #29
Tyler

Trays are perfectly fine and, again in my opinion, actually ideal for singles (most guys use old empty boxes or plastic little bins) but the cedar will probably help with the humidity and add that nice smell. Basically the trays will make it easier, look nicer, and smell better but are not required. Just another add on but I have been thinking of buying some myself. I like seeing my singles as I often forget what I have haha. If they are in old boxes I forget what is in which box and end up taking all of them out and opening them when I go to get a cigar. I recently switched to bins which helps but the ones I have are awkward dimensions for the cooler and don't stack well.

No it doesn't matter too much where the beads are placed really. Some might argue it does but for me it hasn't really changed anything if I move them around inside as I play tetris with the boxes haha. They are on top of the boxes right now though right next to my singles bin and I have had no ill effects.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #30
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
As far as a coolers go I have a Coleman and am really pleased. Like I believe I said before it was $16 for this 48QT. In all honesty just go ahead and buy one like this because a) it is dirt cheap b) you will need a bigger one before you realize. I thought I would never fill this one up and I am almost at maximum capacity.

I have the red but they also make it in the blue as shown here.

If you buy your cooler in person let the lid drop shut from like half way open. If you hear a swoosh when it closes or feel it push air when it shuts closed then it has a good seal. You can also do a dollar bill test I guess but that is more for wooden humidors.

As far as the beads go, the benefit is that with the 65% beads your cigars stay around 63-65% versus the 68-70%. (The ranges are as the beads start to need recharging but in my experience they hold about dead on for a while). Now this next part is just my opinion and I am sure some others agree and some disagree. In my opinion anything above 67% makes my cigars too moist for how I like to smoke them. I prefer around 63% to be honest. So the benefit of 65% beads is that they keep your humidor at a slightly lower humidity. It comes down to personal preference, like I keep repeating like a broken record haha, on how moist you prefer your cigars. Like anything in life people may tell you that one way is the sure way to go and others tell you the exact opposite is the way to go. It ultimately comes down to your preference really. It also isn't that big of a deal as all this makes it seem. Just buy a cooler and some beads and you are set.
This is exactly the cooler I have (i got mine from Bass Pro) with 1lbs of 65% heartfelt beads (overkill) and an accurite digital hygrometer from Walmart. I was planning on a nice cabinet but Im more than happy with my cooler setup.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #31
gray8188

Awesome thank you so much guys! I'm in love with the forum already. The responses are so fast. I can't wait to get this done. And ill be sure to post some pics!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #32
Tyler

Quote:
Awesome thank you so much guys! I'm in love with the forum already. The responses are so fast. I can't wait to get this done. And ill be sure to post some pics!
Haha well we are pretty damn good at enabling, and quick too! Good luck and for sure post up some pictures. You can also check out the show us your humidor thread to see some of the guys setups. But like we have all said just buy a cooler, air it out or whatever, throw some beads in it, put your boxes in and fugetaboutit.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #33
Tyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
This is exactly the cooler I have (i got mine from Bass Pro) with 1lbs of 65% heartfelt beads (overkill) and an accurite digital hygrometer from Walmart. I was planning on a nice cabinet but Im more than happy with my cooler setup.
I think with the dimensions we only need like 4oz. That thing must get back to 65% AS you are closing the lid with that amount of beads. You can never have too many beads on hand though and now if you buy another cooler you can just do 1/2 and 1/2. Wait I think I should probably get some more beads. Hm.....
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #34
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

For singles, I would recommend stopping by your local B&M and picking up a couple nice cedar boxes. Or, PM me with your address and I am sure I can find a couple to send along....

Good luck with your project...!!....if I can pull off five of them, it ain't exactly rocket science.....

Cheers - N.F.H.

Last edited by BlindedByScience; 08-10-2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: typo
BlindedByScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #35
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think with the dimensions we only need like 4oz. That thing must get back to 65% AS you are closing the lid with that amount of beads. You can never have too many beads on hand though and now if you buy another cooler you can just do 1/2 and 1/2. Wait I think I should probably get some more beads. Hm.....
Haha that was pretty much my thinking. Now I have enough beads to spread em out a little bit if need be.
Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #36
gray8188

Alrite I'm looking at a few coolers at my local wallmart. These are the 2 I'm considering.
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-M...6437965?pos=30
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-I...ooler/16437961
Any thoughts? I like the marine one I think it would be a little easier to kinda hide in my closet and I'm thinking the seal might be better because there meant to not leak or allow odors out.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #37
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Alrite I'm looking at a few coolers at my local wallmart. These are the 2 I'm considering.
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-M...6437965?pos=30
:http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-I...ooler/16437961
Any thoughts? I like the marine one I think it would be a little easier to kinda hide in my closet and I'm thinking the seal might be better because there meant to not leak or allow odors out.
I think the marine cooler is a better unit, but the red one is larger and cheaper.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #38
gray8188

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
For singles, I would recommend stopping by your local B&M and picking up a couple nice cedar boxes. Or, PM me with your address and I am sure I can find a couple to send along....

Good luck with your project...!!....if I can pull off five of them, it ain't exactly rocket science.....

Cheers - N.F.H.
I just might have to take you up on that. Thanks man! This forum gets better amd better lol.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #39
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
I just might have to take you up on that. Thanks man! This forum gets better amd better lol.
If you do get some boxes from Notfromhere make sure you get a copy of the CA newsletter, I really learned alot from it.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #40
Tyler

Quote:
Just NEVER EVER ask for Cigar Asylum stickers or to be added to the newsletter list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
If you do get some boxes from Notfromhere make sure you get a copy of the CA newletter, I really learned alot from it.