Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Does it upset you if new cigars smell like smoke?
Ya. Seriously. 21 91.30%
No, not at all. 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Smoky cigars.

I wanted to hear what you guys think...
I've ordered cigars from a couple different places that when they arrive, they smell like old, stale smoke.
I'm not sure why a place would stink up their humidor, or why they'd allow smoking inside the humidor, or why they'd think someone would want cigars that stink of old ashtray, but it happens regularly from these vendors. I've stopped ordering from one place altogether because the packaging smells so bad I don't even want to bring it in the house.
I've been gnawing on this for a long time and wondered why I'd even care. Cigars smell like smoke as soon as I start smoking them, why would I even take exception?
Today I finally figured it out, cause I'm kind of slow.
I like my cigars to smell like a cigar when I get them.
I always smell my tobacco. I've smelled enough cigars that I can easily tell when they're ready, how wet they are, and whether or not they'll likely be a good smoke. Sniffing them up and analyzing them and imagining how good they'll be is a big part of the fun. If they arrive all stinky, I lose the opportunity for all that and I get the sense that my new cigars are "worthless" or "gross".

How do you guys feel about "stinky cigars"?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
SmokeyJoe
Chief Wannastogie Lounge

First Name: Joe
Trading: (28)
VR
SmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud ofSmokeyJoe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Smoky cigars.

Gotta say... I prefer them to smell like tobacco - not stale smoke. That happens soon enough.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I have had that happen.

A smoke shop I know of, the humidor smells like smoke - pipe smoke. I have never bought a cigar there, for just that reason.

I want my cigars to smell like cigars, and when I pick a pipe, I don't want it already broken in by someone else's favorite blend - unless I buy an estate pipe - in which case I expect it.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
smokeyandthebandit05
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rich
Trading: (1)
smokeyandthebandit05 is on a distinguished road

The B&M I sometimes go to allows people to smoke in their walk in. At one of the parties they had, the entire place was packed inside and out with the humi door open and at least 10-15 max in the humi either smoking or talking. I always thought it was bad to smoke in a humidor (kinda like puttin a half smoked stick in your desktop home) but I guess some shop owners dont mind.

Oh and I answered yes
Old 02-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

I prefer that my cigars smell like nice tobacco, not stale smoke. I agree with you...it kills the pre-smoke ritual and can detract from the smoking experience.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
michael88n
Finger Sniffer

First Name: Michael
Trading: (3)
Punch Army (Retired)
michael88n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
...it kills the pre-smoke ritual and can detract from the smoking experience.
+1

I wouldn't smoke in someone's humi, just as I wouldn't fart in someone's kitchen when they were cooking.
michael88n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
The B&M I sometimes go to allows people to smoke in their walk in. At one of the parties they had, the entire place was packed inside and out with the humi door open and at least 10-15 max in the humi either smoking or talking. I always thought it was bad to smoke in a humidor (kinda like puttin a half smoked stick in your desktop home) but I guess some shop owners dont mind.

Oh and I answered yes
I've heard of guys putting half smoked sticks back in their desktop.
Man, that's gotta get rank. Fast.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Hmm, can't say I have ever thought about it or noticed it before. I know cigars do smell up a place (I just cleaned up my riding vest as it was "strong") but never noticed old smoke smells on a cigar. I examine new smokes for damage and into the coolador they go regardless from where they come from. I never smoke wet cigars so I don't really smell them at the time of purchase or reciept. Maybe it has dissipated by the time I get to them.

I guess I would have to vote neither if you had the option.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
pit bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I prefer that my cigars smell like nice tobacco, not stale smoke. I agree with you...it kills the pre-smoke ritual and can detract from the smoking experience.
Thats my vote to no smoke!