Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about
Default finding your cigars of choice

When yall were first getting into the cigar scene how did you find the right cigars for you? Was it just buying sampler packs online, or swapping with buddies, or just taking advice from the local shop?

I don't have buddies who smoke so for now I'm just being 5 stick samplers.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation
Default Re: finding your cigars of choice

I have been smoking everything i can find to see what I like. I have found a few out of the whole bunch that i can smoke regularly. With time your taste will change and you might not like what you do today in a few months.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJarv View Post
When yall were first getting into the cigar scene how did you find the right cigars for you? Was it just buying sampler packs online, or swapping with buddies, or just taking advice from the local shop?

I don't have buddies who smoke so for now I'm just being 5 stick samplers.
All of the above. Check out the Newbie Sampler Trade thread.
Also, read reviews and discussions here.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuceone View Post
I have been smoking everything i can find to see what I like. I have found a few out of the whole bunch that i can smoke regularly. With time your taste will change and you might not like what you do today in a few months.
Absolutely true.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Big Maduro
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (14)
Army (Served With Honor)
Big Maduro will become famous soon enough

As said, all of the above. I will vist my local B&M when I can and try something new.
Big Maduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

I just went to the B&M and bought singles, and tried everything I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Check out the Newbie Sampler Trade thread.
This is a great way too!

I also agree with G that your tastes are likely to change over time.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

I just researched a lot on this site on where to start and then starting smoking. Still working through a lot. Most are ones I do not care for but you may find, like me, that many others could love them. Then you have someone to trade or gift them to
Old 03-19-2012, 03:25 AM   #8
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Just buy singles and sampler packs and try everything that you can. Def read the stickies here, tons of info.....welcome.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

As Others Have Already Said, Buy A Lot Of Singles & 5'ers. Your Tastes Will Definitely Change Over Time. Don't Buy A Box Until You "Can't Do Without" That Particular Stick!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #10
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

I've been smoking regularly for the past 6 months. Just now starting to figure out what I like. Only bought 2 bundles, the rest have be singles and 5'ers. Enjoy Tony!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
Gooner
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Gooner is on a distinguished road

When I started I found a reviewer that shared the same taste profile as I did (in general) and tended to try that he enjoyed with great results. I often purchased what was the rave at the time with mixed results.

I think the "discovery" of the hobby is what is most fun.
Gooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
tengel78

I found a B&M that pointed me in the right direction without trying to make me think the most expensive cigars were the best. After I found this place, I found many other things to try. I'm just now to a point where I know what I like.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
shopkins82
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
shopkins82 is on a distinguished road

Starting out mostly blind (coming from smoking Swishers on the golf course and nothing else) and being really cheap, I basically printed the list form the Cheap Smoke thread, started reading reviews of those on another site, and tried singles of pretty much any of those I could find locally (surprisingly few). I've now branched out to 5-packs and samplers from CigarBid, mainly for sticks I can't find locally. I'm also currently in the middle of my first NST trade, so I'm excited to see what comes out of that.

I started to learn that I like full-flavor but mild-body, a hard combo to find on the cheap. This particular taste profile has lead me to smoke a lot of Maduros that were stronger than I cared for and/or quite harsh by the last 1/3. The bigger challenge for me has been slowing down as I smoke. The last 1/3 of ANY cigar is a lot more enjoyable if you haven't sucked down the first 2/3 so fast that the end is hot and the tip is all tar.
shopkins82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Islayphile
Wee Dram Hunter

First Name: Mike
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Islayphile is on a distinguished road

As has already been stated, I smoked everything that looked appealing to me for the first few years.

After I got a handle of what I liked in general (Nicaraguan), I focused on sticks that on paper at least fit the bill of what my favorite smokes were.

That didn't always work out however.

You can read reviews, listen to what folks have to say about cigars but in the end you'll only really know if you like a cigar if you actually smoke a few.

That's the fun part anyway isn't it....trying them out?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #15
the jiggler
ˇtaste my pirate paddy!

First Name: Craig
Trading: (24)
the jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura aboutthe jiggler has a spectacular aura about

One thing I have found that has been really helpful is to smoke new sticks blind. Buy ten singles that you want to try and then have someone else pick one out of your humidor and remove the label before they give it to you. Smoke it and see what you think. A buddy of mine (Scorched) and I traded ten cigars and we get together once a week or so and he brings me one of mine without the label and give him one of his without the label and we smoke them together, rate them and then give each other the label. It's been very interesting as I am swayed way more by name and label appearance than I thought I was. After about a week I had forgotten what I had given him so the surprise is that much better. I know you said you dont have buddies who smoke but maybe one of them can help you out. Either that or buy 'em some Kuba Kuba Maduros and get em hooked!
Old 03-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Hitagain
Bomb'n relocation program

First Name: Allen
Trading: (7)
SCdlH
Hitagain is on a distinguished road

I always tried 2 before I desided if I like them or not sometimes the first may have just been a bad stick. I had a good collection going and then had sinus surgery and now my tastes have changed, so I'm starting over myself after having all my cigars mold because of a uncalibrated Hygometer. Long story that would make most cry.....I know I did.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
TJarv
In it to win it

First Name: Tony
Trading: (58)
HUpmann
TJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura aboutTJarv has a spectacular aura about

Went to the store up the road and bought a Nub Cameroon as my first good smoke.

Enjoying it as I type.
TJarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #18
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

Something that I found helpful was to smoke a cigar to see if I like it, then find some reviews of that stick and see what flavors other people were pointing out. As a new smoker I could not decipher woody, nutty, leather, cream, etc. I just knew if it was tasty or not. Then find reviews with similar flavor descriptions and try those. Many will have similar characteristics, but vary in flavor and will send you down the right path finding new sticks that you may enjoy even more. But for the first year basically just try a lot of different stuff - take some notes and see where your preferences lie. Between reviews and suggestions from a B&M you should begin to find some sticks that stand out as exceptional to you. 8 years after I started smoking, one of the things I find most enjoyable is that there is always something new to discover with this hobby.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #19
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I started with one of the Motherlode samplers from CI, it comes with 40 different cigars and covers a broad range of strength, taste, and prices. Lets you kind of narrow down what you like. From there I bought samplers of similar type and found more favorites.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, all that stuff. One other note. For your first year or so, smoke it all. Don't get caught up in collecting cigars. You don't even know what you like. Smoke everything you buy or trade for. That favorite stick you are saving? Smoke it. You may love it or you may hate it.