Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Bageland2000
On another adventure

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (2)
RyJ Army (Active)
Bageland2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about humidor and humidity

Morning guys,
I have a little bit of time here due to the third day of no going into work due to the storm. I wanted to take the time to explain a situation and ask for some advice. My girlfriend was the one who got me into cigars when she bought me a small 75 count humidor. Now I have the standard little sponge puck with PG and distilled water in addition to a Xikar humidity beads jar. Now I am planning on getting a digital hygrometer later today, but i wanted to ask a few questions. First, I just received and insane amount of cigars from Ranger_B. When I opened up the package, a few of the sticks had a very strong, very pleasant aroma. Now three days later in the humi, and they've lost a great deal of their aroma. Also, I bought a 10 pack of CAO brazilias and took 3 out of the cellophane. The sticks that are out of the cello do not have a strong smell, but I took one of the others out of its cello and it has a MUCH stronger smell. Is this an indication that the humidity is off? Also, the humi was an inexpensive one that my girlfriend got from who knows where. Is there a possibility that it doesn't have Spanish cedar in it? Anyway I could tell? Lastly, I just got a MASSIVE tax return and want to buy a new humidir. I was thinking about going the vino route, but will be training with the Army for the next 4 months and would have no time to set it up. Is there an interim humi that I could get to protect my sticks before I settle down and have a stable place and can set up a vino? Or should I just get that hygro and pay close attention to the humidity in my current humi? Thanks for the advice fellas! for the long post! Want to make sure that I protect my cigars!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Question about humidor and humidity

Andrew, just grab a cooler (ice chest) for the time being until you are back and ready to set up a full time humidor. Heck, a lot of people use just a cooler and do perfectly fine.

Inexpensive, easy and just about any size you need.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
Andrew, just grab a cooler (ice chest) for the time being until you are back and ready to set up a full time humidor. Heck, a lot of people use just a cooler and do perfectly fine.

Inexpensive, easy and just about any size you need.
Cooler & 65RH Beads Work Great For Me!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

If you are looking to splurge on a humidor, wait until you return.

What is your budget for the humi?
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

IDK, 400 MAX. Again, really leaning toward the Vino option. Though I would like to spend enough to make it a great vino Any ideas regarding the symptoms I'm describing?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bageland2000 View Post
IDK, 400 MAX. Again, really leaning toward the Vino option. Though I would like to spend enough to make it a great vino Any ideas regarding the symptoms I'm describing?
The smell, in and of itself, is not an indication of RH.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I Would Go With A Cooler, At Least Temporarily. Then You Have Plenty Of Storage & Time To Decide Which Vino You Want, Custom Drawers, Etc.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

First Name: Frank
Trading: (31)
Montecristo Army (Active)
Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Andrew the comments above are right on. The smells of the cigars where concentrated because they where sealed up in a bag while shipping. The smell really isnt an indication of your humidity that I am aware of. As far as the cedar on the humi check to see if there is a change in the wood along the edge when you open the humi up. On the cheaper humis there is normally a thin veneer on the outside then some cheap wood and then a veneer of cedar on the inside. If the edge is unfinished when the box is open you should see this. On better humidors you normally see about a1/4 in piece of cedar that forms the seal on the humi. Hard to explain but if you look at waxingmoons threads you will see the seal made by the cedar on his boxes. Getting a hygrometer is good but even the digital ones are not 100%. I would not jump right into a humi first. I would get a cooler up and running so you have time to find what you would like to have. You will see that a desktop is just an ornament for many here and the majority of storage is in either a cooler or a vino (in some of the ballers cases they have awesome cabinets). The desktop is for either smokes you are smoking or singles. Just my
Ranger_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 PM   #9
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Ok, I just got two Acu-rite hygrometers/thermometers and did the 24hr salt test on them. Both have been fluctuating between 74-75% Rh while inside the Tupperware so it seems that they are right on! Put one inside the humi so we'll see tomorrow what it reads...
Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

This morning the hygro read 50%!!! OMG that's low. I put more PG in the sponge to see if that affects the humidity. We'll see when I get home...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This morning the hygro read 50%!!! OMG that's low. I put more PG in the sponge to see if that affects the humidity. We'll see when I get home...
Save yourself alot of grief and get some beads. I gave up the PG solution years ago.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
Save yourself alot of grief and get some beads. I gave up the PG solution years ago.
I Even Ruined Many Cigars With That Stuff! Kept On Adding More & More PG Solution To Get The RH Up & My Cigars Tasted Awful!
Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GTFan View Post
I have beads in there as well and they're as bloated as hell! It's a small container of Xikar RH beads...
Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

Ugh 52%...I'm going to go get more beads tomorrow.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
76GTFan
Full Blown Section 8

Trading: (9)
RA
76GTFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ugh 52%...I'm going to go get more beads tomorrow.
It will get right. Worth every penny.
76GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Get some Heartfelt or Shilala's beads and never worry about humidity again. It's so much piece of mind knowing your stash is safe at all times.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

Ranger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the roughRanger_B is a jewel in the rough

Are you talking about the xicar crystal gel. When we are talking beads we mean Shilas or Heartfelt. There are others however the general feel here is that these are the best two products out there. Your mileage may vary. Best of luck man.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Bageland2000
On another adventure

RyJ Army (Active)

So will this be enough to maintain my small humidor for now? Cool that it's free shipping to military..

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...?prod=HT_05_65
Old 02-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
So will this be enough to maintain my small humidor for now? Cool that it's free shipping to military..

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/p...?prod=HT_05_65
For sure. I have used same size in a 100ct without issues for 3 years.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
Ranger_B
Have My Own Room

For sure. If this doesnt get your humidity up then just find a cooler and use the small humi to dry box.