Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Wotje Manila

Wotjes is a brand especially made for tobacconist W. Otten in Maastricht, a beautiful city in the south of The Netherlands and I heard a lot about those cigars that is a robusto size, which is an unusual vitola for a dry cigar and they are made with 5 different wrappers. Java, Sumatra, Brazil, Manila and Havana. They are sold in dress boxes of 25 and in samplers of 10, with 2 of each wrapper. I had to go to Maastricht for work last week and decided to treat myself to a sampler. This is the review of the Manila wrapper.

The wrapper is a nice color brown, with some nice veins. The predraw is just fine. When I light the cigar I taste a nice sweet musty flavor, not an unpleasant musty flavor but warm and familiar. The mustiness disappears soon and the sweetness sticks around. The flavor is mellow and after 1/3rd I can taste some liquorice. After 2/3rd I taste spices with a peppery finale. The aroma is quite peppery.

The draw is fine, the cigar produces a nice amount of smoke and the ash is light colored and firm.

Would I buy this cigar again? Probably not, for less money I can buy a Jose L Piedra petit cazadores, which I prefer over this cigar, although if you like dry cigars this Wotje is good.

Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Appearance: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
Old 07-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wotje Manila

Don, would love to see a review of the Brazil wrapper since the Brazilia is in my top five cigars. Also, it was awesome to meet you in our country.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I will review all of them this week, Brazil might be up tomorrow. And I'll be back, trust me
Old 07-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice review Ferdie!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
GHC_Hambone

Thanks for the review. Very interesting!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Good to see you reviewing smokes again,thanks for showing us something new.I will try to get some goodies together for you,there are a few new items you may enjoy...Thanks too for the link to the herf pics,it was a treat joining up with all the great folks at Skills house in Fayetteville.We must do it again.....Garbandz

Last edited by Garbandz; 07-05-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Garbandz
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tom
Trading: (53)
Garbandz will become famous soon enough

Maybe I can find a Gorilla Finger to toss in the package....
Garbandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
Or some wonderful Grape Swishers!!!!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbandz View Post
I already reviewed that one, it's on my blog and on the board.