Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Gophernut
Have My Own Room

First Name: Steve
Trading: (15)
Diplomatico
Gophernut will become famous soon enoughGophernut will become famous soon enough
Default MSN.com article on the dangers of cigar smoking

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...0277&gt1=31036

We all know that cigarettes have an image problem these days. You don’t see them very much in films anymore—even the villains seem to have kicked the habit. But when it comes to cigars, that’s not the case. Many people still think cigars are cool. The notion is helped by pictures of elegant men in tuxedos and a few famous women puffing away at their cigars—think of those much-circulated photos of Demi Moore and Madonna. Cigars even show up in films made for younger moviegoers. Iron Man, The Dark Knight, Quantum of Solace, and Wolverine all feature cigar-smoking.

Indeed, the American Cancer Society notes that cigars are especially popular today among adolescents and young adults. That includes all manner of cigars: hand- and machine-rolled, stogies and cigarillos.

Cigar smokers may think they’re taking less of a risk than cigarette smokers. That’s wrong, mostly. While it’s true that most cigar smokers do not inhale all the way, smoking cigars is linked to cancers that develop along the route the smoke travels—from the lips to the tongue and through the mouth and throat to the lungs.

Beyond that, smoking cigars has been shown to increase the risk of pancreatic cancer, bladder cancer, heart disease, and lung disease.

Secondhand cigar smoke poses another danger—even more so than with cigarettes. As the National Cancer Institute points out, cigars contain greater amounts of tobacco simply as a result of their bigger size. It also takes longer to puff your way through a cigar, meaning that the exposure time to toxic chemicals lasts longer.

Finally, because of the way cigars are wrapped, the smoke has higher concentrations of toxins and irritants than cigarettes. A Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology study found higher levels of the toxin carbon monoxide at two cigar social events in San Francisco than on a busy California freeway.

As for nicotine—the chemical that gets you hooked on smoking—cigars contain greater concentrations of it than cigarettes. For a large cigar, it can be up to 200 milligrams. That’s 23 times the amount of nicotine in a typical cigarette. The difference is that cigar smokers—most of whom don’t inhale smoke into their lungs—absorb the smoke through the lining of the mouth.

About a third of new teenage smokers start after being exposed to smoking in movies. Talk to your kids. Remind them that smoking cigars isn’t cool.
Gophernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation
Default Re: MSN.com article on the dangers of cigar smokin

That is an editorial, passed off as "news". Typical of MSN. Blah blah blah..........

The only fact cited:

A Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology study found higher levels of the toxin carbon monoxide at two cigar social events in San Francisco than on a busy California freeway.

Big deal.

Last edited by NCRadioMan; 06-18-2009 at 09:02 AM.
NCRadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I will take my chances.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

"About a third of new teenage smokers start after being exposed to smoking in movies. Talk to your kids. Remind them that smoking cigars isn’t cool. "

yes it is! :P LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Smoking Cave Out

Enjoy cigars and life as much as you can, so many things are bad for us.
Life is to short enjoy every minute of it!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
That is an editorial, passed off as "news". Typical of MSN. Notice there are no facts cited. Blah blah blah..........

The only fact cited:

A Journal of Exposure Analysis and Environmental Epidemiology study found higher levels of the toxin carbon monoxide at two cigar social events in San Francisco than on a busy California freeway.

Big deal.

I wonder how much actual NEWS we are exposed to each day through traditional outlets.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Tomorrow there will be a "The dangers of sitting down" in its place. lol

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

Written by a three-year veteran who graduated from the Georgetown University School of Medicine. She's largely unpublished and looking to get articles (scholarly or non) out there.

I have yet to see the article supporting these kinds of statements:
"...smoking cigars has been shown to increase the risk of pancreatic cancer, bladder cancer, heart disease, and lung disease."

"Finally, because of the way cigars are wrapped, the smoke has higher concentrations of toxins and irritants than cigarettes."

And this just doesn't make sense...
"While it’s true that most cigar smokers do not inhale all the way, smoking cigars is linked to cancers that develop along the route the smoke travels—from the lips to the tongue and through the mouth and throat to the lungs."

I can appreciate that this is just a non-scholarly article written in a magazine, but I still wish that it would have some support for its claims. If there is a scholarly article or research showing that cigars increase the risk of pancreatic cancer, bladder cancer, heart disease, and lung disease, and cigar smoke has higher concentrations of toxins and irritants than cigarettes, I'd very much like to see it.
mikeyj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
ActionAndy
Dayman, Master of Karate

First Name: Andy
HdM
ActionAndy will become famous soon enough

That line at the end is so stupid. Remind them that it isn't cool...

First off, first off buddy, nothing is "cool." "Cool" is an idiot's concept. That's what I'll be teaching my (probably accidental) child. Second, it's a completely biased opinion and has nothing to do with the article.

I could write an article on how snowboarding results in X amount of accidents per year with Y percentage of those accidents leading to severe injury. Would I be right to then end it with one pussilanimous sentence about reminding your kids that they're "uncool" if they snowboard? No, I'd be a fool and I'd get fired.

There's a cancer in mainstream "journalism." The piece cannot simply persuade or present, it must enflame. Take a look at all the talking heads: do they want you to agree with them, or do they really just want you angry at their enemy?
ActionAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Fishbeadtwo
Another nut j0b

First Name: Charlie
Trading: (9)
Bolivar
Fishbeadtwo will become famous soon enough

Maybe someone should tell the author that writing bogus, opinionated articles about cigar smoking "isn't cool"............
Old 06-18-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cave Out View Post
^^^ I Agree ^^^

Chris.....
Old 06-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
SchizoFilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophernut View Post
About a third of new teenage smokers start after being exposed to smoking in movies. Talk to your kids. Remind them that smoking cigars isn’t cool.
This is the same dangerous train of thought that results in video games being blamed for violence and The Beatles being responsible for the Manson Family murders. There is no rationale and there is no common link.

"Hey, your kid is shooting meth a half dozen times a day."

"Oh, that's ok. At least he's not smoking cigars."

Kind of reminds me of an e-mail I just got containing the following newspaper clipping.....

"To all you hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you; you ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed."

Just makes me wonder.....if ignorance is bliss, why are there so many unhappy people? /rant
Old 06-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

There is also a study about the dangers of 3rd hand smoke out there....and it is (of course) just as dangerous as second hand

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/he...h/03smoke.html
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
newlifetaxidermy

This fact just in......1 out of 1 human beings will die at least once. The truth is that something is going to kill you...be it cancer, heart disease, car crash, lightning strike, etc. I choose to not live my life in fear of death. I will enjoy to the fullest every minute God allows me to live on this earth.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #15
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Enjoy life and don't worry about things being "bad" for you. Do what you like. Life is too short to worry so much.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
trader1974
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Austin
Trading: (4)
trader1974 is on a distinguished road

I figure that I'm going out one way or another, I'd rather go out smokin' a cigar!
trader1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #17
blooz4u

Everytime I see articles like that, I turn into Charlie Brown trying to listen to the teacher

"WAH WAAH WAH WAAH WAAH WAA"
Old 06-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
TriStar
Smokes, let's go.

Trading: (1)
TriStar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cave Out View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGodX View Post
Enjoy life and don't worry about things being "bad" for you. Do what you like. Life is too short to worry so much.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #19
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizoFilly View Post
Kind of reminds me of an e-mail I just got containing the following newspaper clipping.....

"To all you hunters who kill animals for food, shame on you; you ought to go to the store and buy the meat that was made there, where no animals were harmed."
I'd like to light up a CC and ask that author to explain how meat is made in a store!
Old 06-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Frankly, I will take the slightly heightened cancer risk associated with cigar smoking. The stress relief it gives me reduces my risk of my head exploding, so I feel I will live longer smoking cigars than I would if I did not.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote