Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road
Default Preferred Shave

So, in my hiatus from the board, I picked up on a new form of shaving that most of you probably do already, but I thought I'd post this up because I'm always up for new ideas in this area.

I started using a safety razor--and doing away with my Gillette Mach 3 and some other razor that had like 25 blades, and I love my razor and the shave that I get from it. It was my wife's grandfather's old razor--so, it's an original Gillette. I use Astra blades that last a good while.

What I'm looking for is recommendations for saving soaps and cremes. I have been using what I can get at Rite Aid, and I didn't know if there were things better.

I would like to try straight razor shaving, but I am trying to decide if the up front cost of a good straight razor, honing stone, strop, etc. is worth it if I find that I am unable to get the technique for shaving with a straight razor or if I find that I don't like it.

I have found that the single safety razor blade is more than adequate and I get closer and smoother shave than with any other razor that I had used before.

Also, what about aftershaves? Are there any recommendations? I had just been using Dollar Store stuff until now.

I am always interested in learning new things in this area.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Preferred Shave

This should help.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ighlight=shave
Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
Ed M
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Ed
Trading: (0)
Ed M is on a distinguished road

Check out badger and blade.com. Lots of great info.
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #4
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Thanks. I did a search and I'll bet this popped up first--that's what happens when you're on the boards while dressing your children for church...
Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #5
badbriar

Try TOBS Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams. IMHO, best bang for your buck. About an almond size will give more than you will need and lathers up like magic.
How are you set for brushes?
For blades, look on ebay. You can buy in bulk and save a lot. Interestingly, the Russian blades are probably the highest quality.
Get yourself a nice shaving bowl with ridges or texture inside, if you bowl lather.
Enjoy!
Old 11-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #6
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Art of Shaving has a great line of shaving products (go figure).
Old 11-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

PRORASO green, and good shave brush
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Try TOBS Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving creams. IMHO, best bang for your buck. About an almond size will give more than you will need and lathers up like magic.
How are you set for brushes?
For blades, look on ebay. You can buy in bulk and save a lot. Interestingly, the Russian blades are probably the highest quality.
Get yourself a nice shaving bowl with ridges or texture inside, if you bowl lather.
Enjoy!
I'll have to try that shaving cream. I have a boar brush because I wasn't sure how I would do or if I would like it. Once my current brush wears out, I'll get a new one.

I got my blades on eBay, they're the Astra ones in the green box, and they do a fantastic job and last me a while.

The bowl is where I need to get something better, mine isn't so much a bowl as it is a literal mug.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
nayslayer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Larry
nayslayer is on a distinguished road

Have you tried lathering on your face? I did and didn't look back
Posted via Mobile Device
nayslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine View Post
I'll have to try that shaving cream. I have a boar brush because I wasn't sure how I would do or if I would like it. Once my current brush wears out, I'll get a new one.
Brushes should never wear out. Make sure it is badger hair.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:38 PM   #11
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Brushes should never wear out. Make sure it is badger hair.
I know the brush I have is a boar brush. I got what I thought was practical at the time because I wasn't sure whether or not I would like shaving the "old fashioned" way.

Turns out I loved it, and now I am hooked on it. I may just get myself a badger brush for Christmas, now!
Old 11-14-2015, 06:08 AM   #12
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Erskine View Post
I know the brush I have is a boar brush. I got what I thought was practical at the time because I wasn't sure whether or not I would like shaving the "old fashioned" way.

Turns out I loved it, and now I am hooked on it. I may just get myself a badger brush for Christmas, now!
What's not to like about a brush. It's not that old fashioned. Not like you are using a straight razor; that is "olde" fashioned! No way I am going for that style shave.

Have you invested in a traditional safety razor? If not, that should be next. I like them as they are sharp and don't get clogged like a Sensor, but are less forgiving than the modern stuff.

I only shave about once a week or two unless I am seeing clients or need to look clean cut so the Sensor, Mach, Quattro... are not up to the task.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #13
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
What's not to like about a brush. It's not that old fashioned. Not like you are using a straight razor; that is "olde" fashioned! No way I am going for that style shave.

Have you invested in a traditional safety razor? If not, that should be next. I like them as they are sharp and don't get clogged like a Sensor, but are less forgiving than the modern stuff.

I only shave about once a week or two unless I am seeing clients or need to look clean cut so the Sensor, Mach, Quattro... are not up to the task.
I have an original Gillette safety razor. My wife's grandfather still had one and he gave it to me. I offered to pay him for it, but he said, "Nope--it's yours now."

Yeah, I only shave once a week because I get such a good clean shave, and my beard doesn't grow very quickly, thanks to my grandmother's genes on my dad's side, (she's Blackfoot Native American). I also like it because If I wear a beard, I can shape the edges much more easily with the ssafety razor without guessing where my lines are.