Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:34 AM   #1041
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Felt like making today a speed day, today, for chest & tris. Dropped the weight a little and, after my warmups (crunches to tighten core, barbell rows to prime the lats, pressdowns to prime the tris, and super light bench presses for the pecs) grabbed the stopwatch and hit the following

115 -- 10 sets of 5 reps each, 45 seconds rest between sets
135 -- 5 sets of 2 reps each, 45-60 seconds rest between sets

The first 7 or so sets were very fast. I got a little sluggish in a couple of sets toward the end of the 115s. I *probably* could have done sets of 3 on 135; but given no spotter and that I was already getting sluggish, I decided to just hit 2 fast each set. All about the fast-twitch, right Dave?

Followed it up with some 190 decline presses (on a Hammer Strength plate-loaded) -- 3 sets of 6. Then did some standard tri exercises: skull crushers, pressdowns, behind head rope extensions. I'm beat.
Thats sooo much volume I just threw up!

Awesome workout! Great to see the shoulder isn't holding you back
Old 02-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #1042
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ View Post

You're freakin crazy!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #1043
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
You're freakin crazy!
What is your AM Routine like? What time do you wake up compared to gym time? Do you eat? Do you shower? these are all things that concern the CNS. If we figure it out it might help you with your AM lifting sesssion

For me I have to eat something. I would go with 2-3 granola bars. The weight room was only like 2 and a half minutes away for me, but this could be ideal pre workout drink time/coffee....I would get up and take a contrast shower.....Jump in when its cold stay under for some time and then turn it up hot repeat twice dry off go lift. The changes of hot and cold help increase blood flow to all extremeties etc.

Im sure others have some little tricks they use before they go to the gym
Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #1044
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

First Name: geRRy
Trading: (7)
ERdM
The Professor has disabled reputation

Quote:

It's totally strange ... I can do flat bench and decline bench; but incline bench and shoulder presses/military presses effin kill. Go figure. I still need to see a doctor. Next week, I think I'll do 135 x 3 x 10 on a rack with boards. Now ... where do I find boards.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:37 AM   #1045
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
What is your AM Routine like? What time do you wake up compared to gym time? Do you eat? Do you shower? these are all things that concern the CNS. If we figure it out it might help you with your AM lifting sesssion

For me I have to eat something. I would go with 2-3 granola bars. The weight room was only like 2 and a half minutes away for me, but this could be ideal pre workout drink time/coffee....I would get up and take a contrast shower.....Jump in when its cold stay under for some time and then turn it up hot repeat twice dry off go lift. The changes of hot and cold help increase blood flow to all extremeties etc.

Im sure others have some little tricks they use before they go to the gym

Oh sorry...I realized my last post could have been taken the wrong way but I meant I agreed with you and Dokk was crazy for doing that workout...

Honestly...I am not an AM person and even in the gym I tend to favor the machine in the AM versus free weights.
Quote:
What is your AM Routine like? What time do you wake up compared to gym time? Do you eat? Do you shower? these are all things that concern the CNS. If we figure it out it might help you with your AM lifting session
My routine is whatever BigFrank wrote out for me but it looks like it'll end up being Chest/ Tri/Biceps...Sets = 3 for chest but 2 for tri/bi and the number of reps depends on the week I am at.

I am usually up by 7 on weekdays and at the gym by 7pm..My usual weekend is reserved for long runs...I didn't eat Sunday till after except for a banana and no I didn't shower. I'm hoping to make the sunday AM workout a common thing but it depends on my running schedule. Honestly though I couldn't beleive how sore I got/am doing much lighter weights. The CNS made me feel like a girl.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:05 PM   #1046
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
For me I have to eat something.
For me, eating something -->

I like your other tricks, though. I usually just get up about 1-1.5hr before I want to be lifting. I take an energy/NO supp about 15-30 minutes before lifting. The shower thing is one I might try. Hmmmm....
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #1047
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

I used to workout early in the morning. It would go something like this.
Wake up
Eat Full Meal
Shower
Pre-workout Drink
Gym

Deload week for me. Well needed.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #1048
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Back from the gym nothing special. Thinking about hitting a new gym later this week.
Also word is two big time powerlifters in my area, are planning on coming out of retirement ( couch potatos ) and training again. They have a full setup in one of the guy's garage, monolift, bands, chains, texas bar, deadlift mats u name it they got it. the works. If they did I would most likely be able to train with them. Hopefully they start to train again. If not, I will continue on. Downloaded the application for a meet in march. So far if all holds well I will compete.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #1049
ChicagoWhiteSox

done lifting time to relax

Old 02-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #1050
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Back from the gym nothing special. Thinking about hitting a new gym later this week.
Also word is two big time powerlifters in my area, are planning on coming out of retirement ( couch potatos ) and training again. They have a full setup in one of the guy's garage, monolift, bands, chains, texas bar, deadlift mats u name it they got it. the works. If they did I would most likely be able to train with them. Hopefully they start to train again. If not, I will continue on. Downloaded the application for a meet in march. So far if all holds well I will compete.
Awesome, Frank. I'd love to be able to train with someone else serious about lifting. You'd better post vids of your best contest lifts, Brother. If you come in every PR you break at the meet gets you one cigar (max 3 -- 1 per major lift). Come in 1st, and I'll throw in a couple more. All Habanos, of course.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #1051
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

I guess that is a bet. If I do not compete this march this there is a big contest in early summer I could do too.
As for setting PRs in competition, its hard to say. I have only done 1 bench only local comp and normal meet,which was also very local. It was weird, I hit my bench numbers than bombed out hard going for new weights. For the deadlift I hit a 40 pound PR and the squat I bombed out on also.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #1052
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
I guess that is a bet. If I do not compete this march this there is a big contest in early summer I could do too.
As for setting PRs in competition, its hard to say. I have only done 1 bench only local comp and normal meet,which was also very local. It was weird, I hit my bench numbers than bombed out hard going for new weights. For the deadlift I hit a 40 pound PR and the squat I bombed out on also.
I didn't mean to infer it would be easy.

Don't think of it as a bet ... think of it as motivation, a reward for a job well done. And your doing well is motivation for *me* to try a little harder, too.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #1053
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Just back from a leg day. Things are a little cloudy right now, which is good I guess. Was planning to rep out 225 again; but something came over me and I got curious. I just started back on squats a couple of weeks ago after a 2-2.5 month hiatus because of my shoulder injury. Before I got hurt, my 1RM was 315. So today went something like this (though I can't be positive about the details -- cloudy):

135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 7
275 x 3
285 x 2
295 x 2
315 x F (dropped to my knees ... big crash )
315 x F (got under it, stood there, knew I just didn't have it ... the intensity wasn't there)

The first 315 attempt was *very* close. I think I can hit it soon. It's clear from this, though, that there are 2 things I need to work on:

1. Explosiveness out of the hole (that's where I barely failed out on attempt #1)
2. Core stability (315 is harder for me to just hold up than it used to be)

Followed the squats up with several sets of stiff-legged deadlifts. Went to do some leg presses and my energy was simply shot -- 8 pies was a struggle (and that's my warmup weight). It had been over an hour at this point; so I called it a day. I'll probably take tomorrow "off" (just cardio).

So Dave, Frank, Gerry, and Tom (and others): what are your two favorite support lifts for getting out of the hole?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #1054
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

You ever have one of those nights where you come home from work and just crash? I fell asleep last night at about 9 and didn't wake till about 730 today...Dead tired..maybe the running + gym is catching up to me?

Dokk,
It looks like you had fun at the gym
Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #1055
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
You ever have one of those nights where you come home from work and just crash? I fell asleep last night at about 9 and didn't wake till about 730 today...Dead tired..maybe the running + gym is catching up to me?

Dokk,
It looks like you had fun at the gym
Yes ... it was fun.

I've totally had days like that, too. The body needs rest to repair from your workouts. If you're not getting enough, your body will eventually tell you to eff off (like yours did last night).
Old 02-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #1056
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
So Dave, Frank, Gerry, and Tom (and others): what are your two favorite support lifts for getting out of the hole?
Box Squats. A lot of them. Also with the heavier weight your form tends to crap out first.
Putting 315 on your back is just as good as squatting it sometimes. I know when I start to get into the uncharted weight range I usually try to stand out of the rack with it a week or two before I actually try to squat it. That way I am less concerned about how heavy it feels and more concerned about squatting with proper form.
I would replace leg presses with box squats after squatting. Lighter weights focus more on explosiveness out on the bottom. And ditch any hamstring work on leg day.

Quote:
I get like that a lot. If you feel like its catching up with you I would recommend a few things. 1-2 times per week try to have a high calorie day. With your new level of activity you are probably not taking in the amount of nutrients that you should be. This is the most common thing I always see. Guys take on a new routine or start pushing themselves but continue to eat next to nothing, or still practice poor nutrition. Or take a week off and rest. Also some extra sleep doesnt ever hurt. The thing to watch is how you feel in the gym. If you are getting stronger or performing better every week than you are fine. Watch for signs of overtraining.

note - it could be the weather too, personally during the winter I have trouble staying up past 8.

Here are some articles on overtraining.
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fawnia33.htm

Last edited by BigFrank; 02-03-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:12 AM   #1057
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:
Yes ... it was fun.

I've totally had days like that, too. The body needs rest to repair from your workouts. If you're not getting enough, your body will eventually tell you to eff off (like yours did last night).

Quote:
I get like that a lot. If you feel like its catching up with you I would recommend a few things. 1-2 times per week try to have a high calorie day. Or take a week off and rest. Also some extra sleep doesnt ever hurt. The thing to watch is how you feel in the gym. If you are getting stronger or performing better every week than you are fine. Watch for signs of overtraining.
Besides that fiasco Sunday AM...I'm getting stronger each week. My legs feel fine from the running/training too..maybe I just needed rest.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM   #1058
The Professor
i wish i was geRRy...

ERdM

Quote:
Box Squats. A lot of them. Also with the heavier weight your form tends to crap out first.
Putting 315 on your back is just as good as squatting it sometimes. I know when I start to get into the uncharted weight range I usually try to stand out of the rack with it a week or two before I actually try to squat it. That way I am less concerned about how heavy it feels and more concerned about squatting with proper form.
Yeah -- I was planning on both of those things. When you do box squats, do you do 65%? 75%? 85%? Below, at, or above parallel?

In terms of getting under the weight, one thing I was going to do was add standing smith machine calf raises back in. That gets me under 315+ in a working kind of way. The smith will take out some stabilizers, though; so maybe I should just get under it on the rack and lift off, step back, re-rack, and repeat. My calves don't really need to get any bigger, anyway.

Quote:
Besides that fiasco Sunday AM...I'm getting stronger each week. My legs feel fine from the running/training too..maybe I just needed rest.
Rest and, like Frank said, consume more calories.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:23 AM   #1059
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

Quote:

Rest and, like Frank said, consume more calories.
Well I like this idea but my problem is making sure it's calories and not just fat! Oh how I love the fatty foods.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:30 AM   #1060
BigFrank
5 3 1

Partagas

Quote:
Yeah -- I was planning on both of those things. When you do box squats, do you do 65%? 75%? 85%? Below, at, or above parallel?
I do them right at parallel. I havent been using %'s when box squatting. Its usually 225-315-365-405. But I would work around 60-70%.

Quote:
Well I like this idea but my problem is making sure it's calories and not just fat! Oh how I love the fatty foods.
Eat out twice a week problem solved. Nothing better than on the way home from leg day to pop in taco bell!!!