Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
abby

Default Smoking culture

Smoking a cigar means a lot to me.
Sometimes it is the best bonding when with friends, sometime, when I'm alone it is a good buster for my thoughts, a good companion for a book.

Once in a while, expecially if it is the first time I smoke that kind of cigar I try to concentrate technically on the cigar.

I've been told (please thake this as a discussion point) that the approach to this is different all around the world.
At one side cuban people. They say tobacco tasts only of tobacco. On the other side Americans and French that can find a lot of flavours while smoking.

So I'm corius to know what do you think about cigars.
Do you prefer a thoughtless smoking with friends? When alone you don't pay attention to flavours and perfume? (mybe using a check list or kind of)

Thanks
AB
Old 12-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Smoking culture

I would rather smoke with a friend than solo, but even solo i try to relax and clear my mind rather than try to discern flavors.

I dont know if my palate will ever be as refined as some of the BOTL here... they can pick up the slightest nuance...

I can only tell if I like a cigar or think it sucks.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
I would rather smoke with a friend than solo, but even solo i try to relax and clear my mind rather than try to discern flavors.

I dont know if my palate will ever be as refined as some of the BOTL here... they can pick up the slightest nuance...

I can only tell if I like a cigar or think it sucks.

I am the same way Moe, especially that last sentence.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #4
Ace$nyper

It's all the mood to me, sometimes I just want to relax with a smoke, other times I study and try to enjoy the craftsmanship as well as the taste.

It's really just a mood by mood basis.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
Vitis

I try to pay attention either way if possible. As for the Cubans, they smoke very fresh cigars compared to us and our vinotemps, active humidifiers and 10yr+ old sticks. Fresh tobacco is going to be the primary flavor IMHO

~Vitis
Old 12-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

I have a rotation of smokes that I use as everyday smokes (Taboo, Siglos) and honestly I smoke them while driving, on the ferry, etc... Non-herfing situations and most times I enjoy the "known" flavors and use it as a way to think or escape the present for a bit.

If I am at home or with some friends I do concentrate on the smoke (usually a PAM, had a Tabby recently or an unknown stick) alot more and try to discern what´s going on with the smoke.

I hope this answers your question from my perspective - this is one of the great parts of our passion IMHO.

Travis
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

It depends, when I try a new stick I always try to discover the flavor and write a review. Sometimes I am not in the mood to do that and I grab a stick I reviewed in the past. When I am smoking with friends I don't review, then its all about the company.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
It depends, when I try a new stick I always try to discover the flavor and write a review. Sometimes I am not in the mood to do that and I grab a stick I reviewed in the past. When I am smoking with friends I don't review, then its all about the company.
Spot on Fer.
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #9
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Although I do like smoking with friends and family, I prefer smoking by myself.

I don't get to smoke often so it's more of a chance to be alone and reflect on things in my life or just an hour to read a good book. Then let the flavors find me. If I try to think about flavors too much I don't enjoy it as much.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #10
BlackIrish
MassHole Militia

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (55)
LGC
BlackIrish has a spectacular aura aboutBlackIrish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Mexico View Post
Spot on Fer.
+1. I enjoy smoking with others, but I do most of my smoking alone, and I try to focus on flavors and craftsmanship.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #11
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

South Shield will become famous soon enough

My favorite place to smoke is at a Raiders tailgate and its usually with the worst cigars I have since I'm busy cooking, drinking, preparing for the Raiders to get killed, etc.

but it is the perfect atmosphere for smoking.

I love smoking good cigars at this great new cigar lounge where I live
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Hey, where is the cigar lounge?

And are you herfin with us on the 27th?

And I've come to the conclusion that I'm just addicted. I'll smoke with buddies or alone, happy either way.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

Its in Walnut Creek called O'Sullivan Cigars, its about the size of your living room but its very cool
Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Is that the hole in the wall place on Locust? Didn't look large enough to have a lounge. I'll have to check it out.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
Is that the hole in the wall place on Locust? Didn't look large enough to have a lounge. I'll have to check it out.
Thats the exact one, there are only 5 chairs but the place is great, I have a bottle of bourbon there for me while I watch sports on the tv.

Liston bought the place in September and completely remodeled it
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #16
Cigary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace$nyper View Post
It's all the mood to me, sometimes I just want to relax with a smoke, other times I study and try to enjoy the craftsmanship as well as the taste.

It's really just a mood by mood basis.
I enjoy cigars period whether it is with others herfing, or at the B&M and even alone. Cigars relax me and gives me time to clear my head of things and at the end of the cigar I usually have answers to a lot of questions I had before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
If I concentrate enough I can pick out flavors but that's not why I enjoy cigars,,,I don't want to make a job out of it as I just want to enjoy the flavor and time spent. If I want an in depth analysis of a cigar I will send it to a lab and they can tell me what hints it has.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
hsmunoz
Still Watching My Back

hsmunoz is on a distinguished road

I know enough to pitch a stick I don't like and nub one that I do.
But you never really know what your going to get. I have had a great stick and a crappy one sitting next to each other in the same box.

I don't know about all these "flavors" etc, but there are differences I pickup from one to the next.
what I don't do, is let having a cigar turn into work,

Last edited by hsmunoz; 12-20-2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: more info
hsmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:31 PM   #18
schnell987
Grateful to the 11

First Name: Kevin
Bolivar
schnell987 is on a distinguished road

Due to my schedule, I usually smoke alone. But, to me, cigars taste the absolute best when smoking with friends and new friends in a herf.

I probably will never be able to taste the distinct leather, woodsy or northeast columbian mango flavors, but I do know if I like what I taste.

Oh, and Abby...I can remove that hump.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Trying to discover flavors isn't work, at least not to me. And I like a cigar better when I try to discover the flavors, its enjoying the cigar fully, respecting both the cigar and the roller.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:27 AM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Smoking is a pleasure for me. It's a nice diversion.
The setting dictates how I'm going to regard the cigar. If I'm working I don't pay strict attention, I just more or less enjoy the highlights when they present themselves.
If I'm smoking with a friend it's fun to compare our thoughts on the cigar. I like it best when we're smoking the same thing and sharing the same experience.
If I'm just sitting alone taking a break I tend to focus heavily on what the cigar is doing, how it's made, how it's burning, and how it tastes. Those are the times when I can commit a lot of the experience to memory.