Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #21
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cuban disappointment?

I agree with Triumph the insult comic dog, the major makers SPEAK of this new blend possibility when the embargo
drops, but I believe this would only tighten Havana's resolve to keep island tobacco on the island. Of course, you can
now get boxes, bands, seals, holograms and cigars there on the black market, so I imagine the leaf will escape, too.
BUT will the manufacturers be able to state that the blends now include CT if the CT was gotten illegally?

I smoke CCs because I absolutely do not prefer my nostrils to be singed by one-note NC cigars. I will smoke a Padron
that's about it. At least to enjoy. I have been gifted some of the top o the line NCs lately by members here and
while I was appreciative, naturally, I was not impressed by what I have apparently been missing all these years.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #22
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Cuba does not allow raw leaf exports today. Were the embargo to drop in the near term, I could only imagine they would be all the more adamant about this policy.

Why do so many people imagine raw Cuban leaf suddenly becoming available? Its unavailability has no direct relation to the US embargo.
This is not true. Custom rolled abound.

Years ago, and they may still be available, Spain, Germany and/or Canada produced cigars that were made of cuban tobacco.

I know of at least one non-cuban manufacturer who has bales and bales of cuban tobacco in his warehouse.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #23
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post

Years ago, and they may still be available, Spain, Germany and/or Canada produced cigars that were made of cuban tobacco.

I know of at least one non-cuban manufacturer who has bales and bales of cuban tobacco in his warehouse.
Let the $hi+ storm ensue
Old 08-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #24
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice

Yes Cubans are a disappointment.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #25
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Let the $hi+ storm ensue
**** storm here or the industry? I understand why is it so in the industry, that's why I didn't name the manufacturer.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
ChicagoWhiteSox

In my personal opinion, I would love to see the travel restriction lifted. Cuba has some of the most beautiful beaches, great culture, great people and food. I would love to travel there.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

You'll find full bodied, strong CC's if you look, I have. I had trouble finding cc stuff I like for a long, long time, because I enjoy nic puros and dominican puros.
I didn't necessarily get a ton of help from the guys because what was strong to them was pretty tame to me. Eventually I found lots of wideass spicy stuff I really enjoy.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #28
DPD6030
Shepard of the sheeple

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (151)
Partagas
DPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud ofDPD6030 has much to be proud of

The strongest CC I've ever smoked was a Monte Sublime...made me dizzy and the back of my head tingled. Sailchaser can attest to this as well.
DPD6030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #29
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Trading: (8)
Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They do not "abound" in the sense described in this thread (ie. major manufacturers making commercially-marketed blends). There is a very small number of manufacturers who have been granted exception and offer Cuban leaf in a non-Habanos product, commercially identified as such.

Quote:
We'll talk again when this manufacturer becomes able to acquire new harvest leaf and identify it in the market as Cuban tobacco without facing the legal retaliation of Habanos, SA.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #30
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Although I enjoy a full bodied smoke once or twice a week, I am pretty much done with the peppery ligero bombs which are currently the rage. I prefer depth and complexity in an every day smoke which is why I smoke about 75/25 Cuban cigars.
+100000000000

I'm with Bob on this one. I don't really enjoy having my mouth steam rolled by a super full bodied cigar and don't fit into the 'Americans only like super full bodied cigars' mold. Mold? That's plume!!!
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #31
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

The only thing that would happen by lifting the embargo on Cuban cigars is that QUALITY would be killed by QUANTITY. Then you also have to factor in SUPPLY & DEMAND. That would then lead to a small exclusive list of distributors and/or shops that would carry them. The price would not drop if anything it would up.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #32
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

Good point N2 GOLD. it also begs the question if they can produce enough given the US market is SO huge. Quality would decline I'm sure.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #33
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 GOLD View Post
The only thing that would happen by lifting the embargo on Cuban cigars is that QUALITY would be killed by QUANTITY. Then you also have to factor in SUPPLY & DEMAND. That would then lead to a small exclusive list of distributors and/or shops that would carry them. The price would not drop if anything it would up.
Yeah let's not worry about authenticity of cigars
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #34
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch
Doctorossi will become famous soon enoughDoctorossi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by weak_link View Post
I don't really enjoy having my mouth steam rolled by a super full bodied cigar and don't fit into the 'Americans only like super full bodied cigars' mold.
Every once in a while, I have to laugh that it's come to this. I remember before the first boom when the 'Americans', Macanudo in hand, would ask me if I thought they would like Cubans. "Be prepared- they're a lot stronger than the cigars you smoke", I'd have to respond. It's amazing how far 'Americans' have come.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #35
alfredo_buscatti
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
alfredo_buscatti is on a distinguished road

If 70 or 80% of Cubans are complex and medium-strength, and cost the same as NCs, I can see myself buying some. But even now, the amount of NC cigars from which to choose is staggering. I certainly can't keep up, and I have 4-500 premium cigars.

I smoked 5 Cuban Montecristos and wasn't impressed. That's it; just that 5. They were medium-strength while I prefer full; but strength doesn't get it for me in the end. What a really value is taste and complexity. They didn't have it.
alfredo_buscatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #36
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti View Post
If 70 or 80% of Cubans are complex and medium-strength, and cost the same as NCs, I can see myself buying some. But even now, the amount of NC cigars from which to choose is staggering. I certainly can't keep up, and I have 4-500 premium cigars.

I smoked 5 Cuban Montecristos and wasn't impressed. That's it; just that 5. They were medium-strength while I prefer full; but strength doesn't get it for me in the end. What a really value is taste and complexity. They didn't have it.
The only take-away here is that you don't care for the Montecristos. That should not mean that all CC's are "unimpressive". As with NC's (or anything) you just need to find what you like... The experimentation can be fun!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #37
Doctorossi
Have My Own Room

Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The only take-away here is that you don't care for the Montecristos.
I wouldn't even take that much from it. I think he just got some lame Montecristos (there are plenty out there). My favorite Montecristos are the definition of complexity, so I would warn against writing off the marca (let alone CCs as a class!) on the basis of a literal handful of unimpressive sticks.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #38
audio1der

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I wouldn't even take that much from it. I think he just got some lame Montecristos (there are plenty out there). My favorite Montecristos are the definition of complexity, so I would warn against writing off the marca (let alone CCs as a class!) on the basis of a literal handful of unimpressive sticks.

Well put. Within a marca there are MANY variations on taste/strength, some of which you may enjoy. On top of production smokes there are LE's/RE's which add even more variation.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #39
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

What years were these Montecristos you smoked?

If they were under say 3 years old that could be a good reason for the lack of complexity and enjoyment.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #40
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
What years were these Montecristos you smoked?

If they were under say 3 years old that could be a good reason for the lack of complexity and enjoyment.
Yes.. Let's not forget the Rule of 3's