Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 08:47 PM   #21
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation
Default Re: The I was dumb enough to look at my investments today support thre

[FONT=Consolas]Good read below hope they are right. I felt better after reading it.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Dow Down 500, But Fundamentals Still Strong To view this article, Click Here <[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]http://www.ftportfolios.com/Commentary/EconomicResearch/2011/8/4/dow-down-500,-but-fundamentals-still-strong[/FONT][FONT=Consolas]> [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Brian S. Wesbury - Chief Economist [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Robert Stein, CFA - Senior Economist[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Date: 8/4/2011[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Major stock market indices are down 4-5% today as investors move into panic mode. There is no single piece of news driving the sell-off; rather the market seems to be gathering downward momentum on its own. Selling is creating more selling.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Like 1987, the sell-off does not appear to be driven by fundamental factors. In fact, the fundamentals suggest the market is undervalued and getting more so as it drops. Many investors assume (or wonder) if the sell-off is indicating deep economic problems. However, there is no evidence that this is true. [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]The Federal Reserve is still running a very accommodative monetary policy. Money supply data shows no contraction – M1 is up 13.8% and M2 is up 8.3% at an annual rate over the past thirteen weeks. The Fed is holding the funds rate near zero, while nominal GDP is rising near a 4% annual rate recently and “core” inflation is at 3%. In other words, interest rates are very low in comparison.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]If you are worried about a cut in government spending – don’t be. Federal spending in 2011 is still rising and according to the OMB and CBO it will rise each and every year over the next 10 years. If you are worried about the size of government and think the budget deal was terrible – you shouldn’t. Supertanker America is turning and government spending as a share of GDP is scheduled to fall by about 2% of GDP over the next 10 years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Corporate earnings are rising rapidly. According to Bob Carey, First Trust’s Chief Investment Officer, with about 80 companies left to report, S&P 500 earnings are up 20% over last year and the S&P 500 P-E ratio (on forward earnings) is roughly 12. The market is cheap.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Economic data are not tanking. Initial claims are at 400,000 (down from 478,000 at the end of April). Car and truck sales were up 6.9% in July (over June) and chain-store retail sales were up 4.6% in July (from last year) versus 2.8% year-over-year growth in July 2010. Taken together, retail sales appear to have increased by about 0.7% in July even though gasoline prices fell.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]Yes, the ISM manufacturing index was just 50.9 in July, but that is the 24th consecutive month above 50 and is consistent with 2% or more real GDP growth. Finally, the ADP employment report showed 114,000 new private sector jobs in July, which was the 18th consecutive monthly gain. In other words, there is absolutely no evidence of a recession at this point.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]This leaves us at perhaps the best explanation for the decline: European debt problems, specifically Italy. It is clear that hot money is moving as investors worry about money market funds and bank solvency. The euro is falling, European bond yields are rising, US Treasury yields are plummeting and gold is up. Italy says that it does not face imminent default, but the market acts as if it may.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]European countries have spent themselves into a corner, but correcting this mistake will be good for long-term growth, not bad. While some financial institutions may take losses, government debt itself is water under the bridge. It’s a sunk cost. As a result, it has little effect on the economy unless losses create financial contagion. With mark-to-market accounting now fixed to allow cash flow to be used to value assets, the odds of contagion are minimized and the cost of immunizing America from contagion would be small when compared to 2008.[/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas]In the end, the sell-off looks as if it is more of a technical correction in the market, not a fundamental change in direction. This does not mean that it will end soon. Corrections run their course and then end. We wish we could trade each and every move in the market, but we can’t and we don’t know anyone who can. We are investors, and the market is more undervalued right now than it was when it opened for trading this morning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Consolas][/FONT]
Old 08-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Hello rental property....seems to be the only thing these days I can make money on after investing in.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #23
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road

I feel the pain. Just gotta hang in for recovery.... Someday
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:00 AM   #24
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Keep buying precious metals
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #25
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarcop View Post
I figure in the end I'll owe them money!!
No Problem, I'll Just Never Retire.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #26
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Thanks For The Info, Dave; I Feel Better, Now!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #27
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

"Never gamble with scared money" - That was the best advice dad ever gave me

PS - I lost a fair chunk yesterday. It sucks...but oh well
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #28
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Going downhill again today ...
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #29
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

thankfully I'm on vacation until monday and refuse to look at anything work related until I get back.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #30
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Hang on to your portfolios on Monday. This latest news certainly won't help.

S&P Downgrades US Credit Rating to AA-Plus
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #31
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

How do you all think this will effect the real estate market (if it all)? Prices will drop further but rates will go up?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #32
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
How do you all think this will effect the real estate market (if it all)? Prices will drop further but rates will go up?
From Money as to what happens to borrowing as it relates to the debt downgrade.....

The price of consumer credit would be pegged less to a Treasury downgrade than it would be to bond investors' overall confidence, says Scott Hoyt, senior director of consumer economics for Moody's Analytics.

Because yields -- and corresponding interest rates -- move inversely to price, rates that track shorter-term Treasuries are more likely to see a bump.

Rates on car loans, which follow shorter-term rates like the two-year Treasury or LIBOR, the London Interbank Offered Rate, could go up -- but not enough to really hit consumers, says Paul Cuevas, director of auto finance at J.D. Power & Associates.

Most mortgage rates, however, track the 10-year Treasury yield, which continues to fall. Adjustable rate mortgage holders could be slightly more vulnerable, because ARMs are typically tied to shorter-term interest rate movements, says Lawrence Yun, chief economist for the National Association of Realtors.

For students and parents who rely on private student loans, any jump in borrowing costs for lenders would be passed on to borrowers, says Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of FinAid.org and Fastweb.com. Federal student loan rates would remain fixed.

Credit card rates are pegged to the prime rate, which moves with the federal funds rate. If the prime rate goes up, consumers could be hit with credit card rate hikes, says Beverly Blair Harzog of Credit.com. Even if the rate doesn't go up, she says, card issuers spooked by a credit downgrade could raise your interest rates anywhere from 1% to 5% -- but only if you've had your card for more than a year.

larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Yup- wait until Monday evening!

Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #34
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4hfdaC7eL4&sns=fb
Old 08-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #35
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quick look the market stopped falling ... oh wait it just closed for the day ...
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #36
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

At this rate, I will be working until I'm 90 or dead. Whichever comes first.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #37
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Today was a real . My finacial backside hurts. Maybe it's time to start investing in cigars. Oh wait, isn't that what we've all been doing?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #38
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

It is taking everything I have to resist looking...
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #39
BC-Axeman

Bear market funds did really well today. All y'all got a lot of money in bear market funds, don'cha?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #40
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

I've been in cash for a while even in my IRA (money market acct). My pension is in company stock (blue chip, AAA rated, low volatility) and my 401 is pretty balanced. OK so far although, the cash will go to work a few months from now when the market bottoms.