Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Do I really want a kindle dx?

I'm thinking of getting me a kindle dx for my holiday present to myself. The new, larger, format and improved contrast makes this seem like a good investment to me.

I'm getting a little pushback from the in-laws, who have about every Apple product on the planet. While I am an iPhone 3G junkie, nothing else that Apple has appeals to me and the extra price for an iPad doesn't seem worthwhile if I only plan to use it as an eReader.

Am I nuts in my thinking (on this subject, the rest isn't open for debate - I am!)?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: Do I really want a kindle dx?

I'm a huge fan of the Kindle, Mark.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
I'm a huge fan of the Kindle, Mark.
yeah, but you like Dunhills, Davidoffs and Gerry. sheesh!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
yeah, but you like Dunhills, Davidoffs and Gerry. sheesh!
2 out of 3.
I hate that b!tch
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The e-ink technology on the Kindle is far superior to anything that Apple has today. You cannot read or even see the content of an iPad (or iPhone) screen outside in the sun (I know, it's Oregon -- what sun ).

The other problem with the iPad screen is that the high-gloss surface seems to be a magnet for finger prints, etc. which make the screen hard to see without having to clean it often.

I am not trying to say that the iPad is bad -- I just don't think it is perfect for every application and the Kindle is s superior device for reading.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Why the DX? you can make ajust the font larger on the small ones. Did they make a new DX or is it the same one thats been out?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

I read kindle books on my BlackBerry Torch. Don't see the reasoning to buy a kindle. Wife loves kindle on her itouch and iphone.
Posted via Mobile Device
GolfNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Nothing beats a real book.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Why the DX? you can make ajust the font larger on the small ones. Did they make a new DX or is it the same one thats been out?
larger fonts on a smaller screen equals more scrolling which means more eye strain, at least in my case.

I spend my days reading PDFs of legal documents. For me, the larger screen is important.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Kindles dont scroll though.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Kindles dont scroll though.
paging then. Same blur, same effect, no matter how you try to nonsensically argue it.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

If you are reading non color docs and other things you would be reading on a screen otherwise a kindle is the way to go. flipping through stapled pages or dealing with a device not made for reading is not worth the hassle. if you are going to be reading books, magazines, news papers, well then get the real thing and don't waste your money.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Whatever floats your boat. Buy the DX. There isn't anything else out there like it aside from an Ipad which for e-reading is horrible (even with the anti-glare screen protector).
Compare $379 for the DX with Free no contract 3G to the Ipad 16gb with 3G starting at $629. The Amazon store has over 900,000 titles available and ability to open PDF files make it far better then either B&N or Sonys offerings. You can also surf the net on that same 3G network on the DX for full web pages rendered in black and white of course.

Did I miss anything?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

wow, I bet you even know what "GFTS" means.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #15
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Negative, however, I do know the difference and intricate workings of both devices as well as what is out there on the market. I sell these every day at work and Im not seeing why you need to be rude....

Last edited by Wolfgang; 11-21-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #16
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

You are entertaining. You are angry that you weren't recognized as a guru on the subject as you imply that your (possibly) vast sales droid experience makes you. I'm glad that you know the differences between the two. If, for starters, you could communicate in a reasonably intelligent fashion then you might have more opportunities to showcase your fascinating "sales experience".

I am looking for information. I responded to your query about why not a smaller screen. You got smug, I ignored your saint-like smugness and you grabbed the first comparison web page that you could find (or had memorized) to spew your full and complete knowledge.

Since you know "intricate workings of both devices", I have a question for you: what bus type is used by the device and what type of multi-port memory control circuitry is used. Alternately, how are interrupts handled by the core executive and how is the interrupt mask managed?
Old 11-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #17
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Judging by your knowledge on the subject already, why ask a forum if you should buy it or not? I know HOW to use both devices. You know, menus, interface, which is better for what, etc.

And there IS a difference between scrolling (up and down, side to side) and completely reloading a page. Seems like you should know this......

Enjoy.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 PM   #18
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
And there IS a difference between scrolling (up and down, side to side) and completely reloading a page. Seems like you should know this......
Of course. Scrolling involves moving in new material to the viewing area using a wide variety of techniques depending on the underlying hardware support. Reloading a page means redisplaying the same information without updating the display buffer pointers. Of course, I was really talking about paging as in turning the page of a book, which would move the display pointer to a new location and then cause a refresh of the screen with the current page in the display window, but I digress. Pan and refresh v. jump and refresh are, for the most part, hardware ops handling by as little as one location register and one control bit in many modern systems.

I'm sorry to have agitated you. But I haven't had this much fun in a long, long time. Let's call a truce and I'll buy you a good stick and drink if ever we catch up. Okay?
Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #19
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

HdM

Fair enough I hate to burn bridges (although I like fire). From my personal experience owning both the DX and smaller kindle there here are my two perspectives.

DX is far better if you are reading at home in a big comfy chair and like you said, want the larger screen.

Kindle 3 far more portable and easier to use on the go in my case between classes and on breaks.

The only think I might add is it doesn't support the epub format that are available through libraries.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #20
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Fair enough I hate to burn bridges (although I like fire). From my personal experience owning both the DX and smaller kindle there here are my two perspectives.

DX is far better if you are reading at home in a big comfy chair and like you said, want the larger screen.

Kindle 3 far more portable and easier to use on the go in my case between classes and on breaks.

The only think I might add is it doesn't support the epub format that are available through libraries.
Now that is great information. As you suspect, I am more stationary in my reading. I tend to read at the coffee shop and at home (which is also where my office is located).