Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Laguna Beach CA Information Needed

We have a wedding to attend in Laguna Beach CA on May 2 this year and I need some information about the area. We will be there from April 30 through May 4 or 5. Which airport should we fly into, LAX or San Diego? We are also thinking about spending a night or two in San Diego after the wedding. Suggestions on where to stay, eat, or things to do would be greatly appreciated.
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Laguna Beach CA Information Needed

Not San Diego....Try Orange County ...When I go to that area my choice are usually Orange County Airport then Ontario Airport, then Lax. Lax and Ontario are about the same distance from Laguna but Ontario is less of a hassle to fly from and get out of.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

There are quite a few inmates in that area Tom.Someone will chime in soon
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
mrreindeer

Sounds like a fun trip! And that's a great time of year out here.

If you want to arrive relatively close to Laguna Beach, choose (in order of distance from Laguna): Orange County John Wayne Airport, Long Beach Airport, LAX. More airlines fly to LAX but you'd be surprised that you might find some flights into the other 2 airports. Only choose SD if you want to start & end up there but it's FAR. You could choose to fly into an L.A. area airport and fly out of SD if you want to end there.

You have many options at many different price levels in Laguna. The Ritz is awesome and right on the cliff, closer to Laguna Niguel, which is to the South, but basically Laguna. Never stayed there but had drinks and enjoyed the view. We stayed at another beachfront place once at a fairly decent price while attending the famous 'Sawdust Festival' (you're too early in the season for it but put that on the list for the next trip!) but it was just a no-frills room steps from the beach. There are lots of places like that. If budget wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Ritz.

Sushi in Laguna Beach: Mosun http://www.mosunclubm.com/ @ 680 South Coast Highway - There is a connected nightclub upstairs too.

Nice Mexican in Laguna Beach: Las Brisas http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/ @ 361 Cliff Drive - A bit pricey, but excellent location on a bluff overlooking the beach.

Laguna Beach is a great town just to stroll through so you'll find many a great place to eat wherever you wander.

As for San Diego, I'll leave it up to the professionals on here but I've always wanted to stay at the Hotel del Coronado: http://www.hoteldel.com/
Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! And that's a great time of year out here.

If you want to arrive relatively close to Laguna Beach, choose (in order of distance from Laguna): Orange County John Wayne Airport, Long Beach Airport, LAX. More airlines fly to LAX but you'd be surprised that you might find some flights into the other 2 airports. Only choose SD if you want to start & end up there but it's FAR. You could choose to fly into an L.A. area airport and fly out of SD if you want to end there.

You have many options at many different price levels in Laguna. The Ritz is awesome and right on the cliff, closer to Laguna Niguel, which is to the South, but basically Laguna. Never stayed there but had drinks and enjoyed the view. We stayed at another beachfront place once at a fairly decent price while attending the famous 'Sawdust Festival' (you're too early in the season for it but put that on the list for the next trip!) but it was just a no-frills room steps from the beach. There are lots of places like that. If budget wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Ritz.

Sushi in Laguna Beach: Mosun http://www.mosunclubm.com/ @ 680 South Coast Highway - There is a connected nightclub upstairs too.

Nice Mexican in Laguna Beach: Las Brisas http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/ @ 361 Cliff Drive - A bit pricey, but excellent location on a bluff overlooking the beach.

Laguna Beach is a great town just to stroll through so you'll find many a great place to eat wherever you wander.

As for San Diego, I'll leave it up to the professionals on here but I've always wanted to stay at the Hotel del Coronado: http://www.hoteldel.com/
David has some great suggestions. I definitely suggest flying into John Wayne Airport. It's a closer than LAX and a Lot closer than SD. Especially if you're flying in during rush hour.

The Ritz Carlton and and Montage are great places to stay. Both are pricey, but worth it if you can swing it. Here's the site for the Montage. http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/

Las Brisas is a great place to eat. Great to sit out on the deck, sip margs and take in the view, especially when the sun sets. . Not sure if they allow cigar smoking.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Long beach...that's the one I forgot! Such a cool little airport and really easy to get in and out of.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Long beach...that's the one I forgot! Such a cool little airport and really easy to get in and out of.
For sure. No hassle.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
UPHOTO

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (7)
Montecristo
UPHOTO is on a distinguished road

that's my old home.

Miss it.....

Long Beach, John Wayne, Ontario, LAX are all within an hour or so of Laguna. Forget SD and just stay in Laguna, Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach area!!! Just gorgeous.
UPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #9
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
David has some great suggestions. I definitely suggest flying into John Wayne Airport. It's a closer than LAX and a Lot closer than SD. Especially if you're flying in during rush hour.

The Ritz Carlton and and Montage are great places to stay. Both are pricey, but worth it if you can swing it. Here's the site for the Montage. http://www.montagelagunabeach.com/

Las Brisas is a great place to eat. Great to sit out on the deck, sip margs and take in the view, especially when the sun sets. . Not sure if they allow cigar smoking.
The wedding is at the Montage and no we are not spending $800 a night to stay there. The Laguna Reef Inn is very close by and it's only $90 a night and we have booked our room there. I'm still looking at flights from DC to the LA/San Diego area, hopefully non-stop. Thanks Tom
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Laguna is a pretty cool place. When we were there we stayed at the Surf and Sand Resort which wasn't too bad.

Don't miss out on a trip to Wahoo's either.
:
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #11
MithShrike

My sister lived in Dana Point until very recently. I always enjoyed visiting.