Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #1
Bubbleheaddiver
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ben
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Navy (Retired)
Bubbleheaddiver is on a distinguished road
Default Smoke eater/filter

Whats a good smoke eater for smoking a pipe indoors, to stay on the good side of my wife?
Bubbleheaddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
OnePyroTec
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Wayne
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
OnePyroTec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Smoke eater/filter

I got one of these for smoking indoors...although I still haven't tried it in "my" house yet, a friend had one and you can never smell the cigar smoke in their house.
http://rockymountainairpurifiers.com/
The ozone is what will destroy & eliminate the odor.

These are supposed to kickbutt, and be one of the best for smoke. I just didn't want to spend the $$$ on it.
http://www.airlifeone.com/buydynamic.html
OnePyroTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

I know this is from earlier this year but I thought I would try and give my 2Cents...

First off. Ozone generator can and are dangerous to humans. People's susceptibility to ozone varies widely. An ozone generator should never be operated in occupied spaces, and the area should be adequately vented before people or animals are allowed to re-enter. Ozone generator can and are bad for Plants. Also bad for building materials. In fact it is said that with some carpets it can even make a toxin that can harm humans. Synthetic carpets and most homes now days have such carpets. Also bad for cushions, rubber padding.

There is a Proven smoke eater and even some clubs that have the huge units have moved down to something smaller easier to clean and still able to do what is needed for local rules with these. I don't own one as I am to poor LOL my friend on the other hand does and I have to say it is amazing how well his house smells. Entering his main house or the smoking room it all smells the same. Only thing I can think is that seeing his house is under 3000sqf it is doing it all from 1 machine His little machine is only 12x12x9 and sit just by the door to his Den/man cave if you will.... This door is always open there besides if there are people over playing cards and loads of smoking is going on then he will close the door to try and keep all smoke to the one room.

https://aircleaners.com/product-cate...air-purifiers/
the AP-3000 is the one he has. When I can aford it I will also own one and replace my 2 Oreck Pro Air Purifiers. They work well but only well enough for my 1 room.

I looked at the Rockymountainairpirifier and see they have the O3 system that is part for me that I would be worried about adding to my home. an O3 system create a single oxygen atoms and then attaches it to the O2 to form an O3 layer. However that is on a true O3 from looking at the machine they offer it looks like it is a different format ultraviolet radiation. This process is similar to the formation of ozone in the upper atmosphere, where the sun’s ultraviolet radiation causes O2 to split into individual oxygen atoms. This method is generally regarded as less efficient. For me when something talks about messing with my Ozone I will keep it as it was intended. Also in closing. there are some companies that have EPA numbers on their machines. this number is made so the EPA can know where the machine was made from not that the EPA is certifying this machine as the EPA right now don't certify any air cleaning device.

This is not information for any other reason then to help with Information on what may help keep your air clean in your home. I don't get paid for posting this information and have not been asked by anyone to offer this opinion. I am not a Pro Air Quality person nor do I work for such a company.

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Ozone generators do a good job of nullifying smoke smell once you're finished. They should not be used while you're smoking. Close up the room and turn it on when you're done. Next morning it'll smell like fresh rain.

Many people are not looking for that though. They want something that will thin out a smoky room while people are smoking. That's where you'd want a smoke eater. However, they are pricey. You'd likely be better off finding a way to exchange air into/out of the room.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
the nub
Papa Chino

LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaRevo View Post

First off. Ozone generator can and are dangerous to humans.

I don't own one as I am to poor LOL my friend on the other hand does and I have to say it is amazing how well his house smells. Entering his main house or the smoking room it all smells the same. Only thing I can think is that seeing his house is under 3000sqf it is doing it all from 1 machine His little machine is only 12x12x9

https://aircleaners.com/product-cate...air-purifiers/
the AP-3000 is the one he has.

James
I have this unit and it is an ozone generator. It is effective, however it has limitations. Given the same smoke volume, a large space (i.e. 3000 sq.ft) will be much more forgiving than a small space of about 100 sq.ft. This is simply because a large space has a greater percentage of 'clean' air compared to a small space. In fact, you could have zero filtration in a large space and the odors would dissipate within 24-48.

Aside from a true air exchange, ozone IMO is the best way to clean odours. Filtration has the major drawback of trapping contaminated particles within the filtration device. The more you smoke within that environment, the greater amount of smoke particles trapped in the filter. Within a short period of time the filter itself will emit an odour. Couple that with accumulation of particles on hard and soft surfaces and you can see why air exchange is your best bet. If you are a casual smoker or even once a week then it will take longer before the odours are noticeable. This is based on personal experience with different filters, including HEPA and charcoal in a small room, one cigar a day, 365 days a year and I've tried candles, sprays, protein based sprays, ultraviolet, lampe berger, HEPA.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 PM   #6
WaRevo
Still Watching My Back

First Name: James
WaRevo is on a distinguished road

Well darn. I just know what it was he used. Never really looked into the unit other then it works great for him. I know that when more of us fill the room he turns the speed up. I never got the idea that is was Ozone but looking closer and at the manual it is. However it would seem that he has that set on a low setting. I will just stay with my system. No one likes the Oreck XL however I like my system and seems to have always worked for me. Sure I have to take 2 hours every week or 2 and soak my plates to remove tars and what not that has collected over normal dust. It does work. I do also as one of my other threads has touched on have air exchange set up for my place that I use with heavy use. Most times it is just my Orecks. Just keep telling my self that i want to get rid of them because others don't like them and the only replacement if needed for it anymore is the Truman Cell, they no longer carry the rest of the parts that made me buy this Air Purifier to start with. I have a problem with people making something and then not supporting the product anymore gives me the idea that they want me to buy a new one with the features that I want and what i spent for this to start with. I'll Pass, Thank you for making that clear. The Nub. That is extra tobacco money i can spend then

James
WaRevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Just as a side note, it's interesting that the model that can be sold in CA is 200 bucks more .... the joy of living in California.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #8
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbleheaddiver View Post
Whats a good smoke eater for smoking a pipe indoors, to stay on the good side of my wife?
Come to PD and ventilate or get some electro-static precipitators.