Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Garage space heaters

I am in the market for a new space heater for the garage. It needs to be 120V, not 240V.

The one that I have been using is an earlier version of the Lasko 23" ceramic (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-23-...5320/100669066)

I'd like to get one that doesn't oscillate so far, perhaps not at all, and has a little more heating power. I herf with my garage door open and the blower hitting my feet and legs. It is almost always just me herfing in the garage. When it is a bit warmer, we use the fire pit in the backyard.

Experiences would be very much appreciated. We don't get real cold for long enough to justify putting in a 240V system like they have for outdoor seating in SoCal.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Garage space heaters

Have used the propane or gas heaters (look like jet engine). Work great, but can be overkill...
Old 01-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I like the dish style heaters, seems to heat up an area quicker than my ceramic heater. I think I have the same Lasko as yours and a dish style heater seems to heat up the room faster than the ceramic, but then again this is in an inclosed room. By the sound of it seems that you keep the heater near your legs, I'm not sure you'd want a dish heater near you.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I have a dish style heater that I got from Costco and I love it. I augment it with a propane heater, if needed. Unfortunately, it looks like Costco does not carry my heater anymore.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Mark,

Going to something much more powerful than a 1500W might not be doable unless you have a 20-amp circuit in your garage. 15A breakers are standard for residential construction and that maxes just shy of 1800W @ 120V, but by NEC, you aren't supposed to load to 100% so you are stuck around 1500.

I've had decent luck with "milk house" style heaters. They don't oscillate at all, but they are compact, more durable than the plastic towers and IMO safer than the dish heaters. The dish heaters are probably the most efficient for single direction heating, but I personally am not crazy about them due to the often chinsy construction and safety issues with an exposed coil.

I had one of those big electric oil radiators in my garage. Worked well when the door is closed, not so much when the rollup was open. :/

Last edited by T.G; 01-05-2017 at 11:52 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:31 PM   #6
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Mark, I don't know if you're stuck on electric heat, but I use something similar to this in my garage to heat my legs and it gets a bit colder here than where you are. https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-...erosene+heater

I use mine in an enclosed 3 car garage and have never experienced any carbon monoxide problems, so if you're using it with the door up, you should be fine.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

The kerosene one looks pretty good, Tim. Do you happen to know how good the blower is? One this I find with electric space heaters is that when the fan is up high it is hard for the heater to keep the air very warm.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

FYI, 10000 Btu/hr is slightly less than 3000 watts.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #9
markem
Bunion

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14holestogie View Post
Mark, I don't know if you're stuck on electric heat, but I use something similar to this in my garage to heat my legs and it gets a bit colder here than where you are. https://www.amazon.com/Dyna-Glo-RMC-...erosene+heater

I use mine in an enclosed 3 car garage and have never experienced any carbon monoxide problems, so if you're using it with the door up, you should be fine.
Picked one of these up yesterday. Same price as Amazon but no shipping delay. Works great. Thanks for the reccommendation!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:56 AM   #10
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Picked one of these up yesterday. Same price as Amazon but no shipping delay. Works great. Thanks for the reccommendation!
Sweet!