Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #481
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Last, but not least...
Steve!!! Tomato update!!!
Got three starters on the vine last I checked. I'll check tonight when I get home, it was pretty dark last night by the time I got home to check.

I also am starting to see the beginnings of peppers on two of my plants. Replanted some oregano and dill seeds to replace what I think were old, dead seeds, but I think the squires got to them before anything could happen. The thyme that we planted at the same time is sprouting though.

I know this is old hat to you veterans out there, but I'm stoked that this is actually working!

Old 04-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #482
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have Perique, Havanah 2000, San Andreas MX, and my own open-pollinated variety that comes from those 3 strains.
Thanks for the info on the apple trees. I've read up on it a bit. I know what I'm trying is a long shot but some claim it's possible. I just didn't want to have to spend the money on buying apple rootstock to graft my scions to. I know there are benefits of doing that besides the obvious increased chances of getting what I want.

Maybe once I move I'll give growing tobacco a try and I'll take you up on your offer.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #483
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Last, but not least...
Steve!!! Tomato update!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Got three starters on the vine last I checked. I'll check tonight when I get home, it was pretty dark last night by the time I got home to check.

I also am starting to see the beginnings of peppers on two of my plants. Replanted some oregano and dill seeds to replace what I think were old, dead seeds, but I think the squires got to them before anything could happen. The thyme that we planted at the same time is sprouting though.

I know this is old hat to you veterans out there, but I'm stoked that this is actually working!

My wife's ears must have been burning...She just sent me a picture of one of the plants

Still pretty green, but I bet it won't be long until we start seeing some red deliciousness!
Old 04-12-2014, 04:52 PM   #484
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Spent the afternoon rebuilding one of my planting beds. Used cedar this time, instead of regular wood. Hopefully it'll last longer. Going to buy some 5/4x6 planks to cap the tops off. Only 3, maybe 4 more to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (121.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #485
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys, this is a really old book about growing tobacco.
It's a direct link to a free pdf from the University of California.
It's pretty cool. There's few pictures, but it's still worth downloading just to see them
Hope you guys dig it!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #486
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Some truth right here...

"Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant."
Old 04-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #487
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

Garlic is on its way

8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 AM   #488
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Nice Mark. My garlic looks about the same size, although half as many planted.

Tomorrow i'm getting 1.5yds of dirt to fill my newly rebuilt planters. A compost/top soil mix. I'll mix in a bit of organic fertilizer I have, then wait for the weather to get warm enough before I put in my plants. They're callilng for high 30's this weekend as the low temps. I've put too much effort into growing these from seeds to risk losing them to frost.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #489
8lug
Smoking with the Chief

First Name: Mark
Trading: (14)
Partagas
8lug is on a distinguished road

Thanks Bob,
They're calling for frost here tonight too, I've got 26 plum tomato plants in the house under lights waiting for the darn weather to finally break up here.

The second bed behind the garlic has spinach and lettuce in it. They're just starting to sprout.

Does anybody have any Kentucky wonder pole bean seeds they like to share. I can't find them anywhere locally.
8lug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #490
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

26 tomato plants? Hot damn, you must like tomatoes. The most I've planted before was 7. That was about 5 too many. I was giving them away to anyone that would take them.

I'm thinking I'll plant my onions at least this weekend. Maybe my collards, broccoli and cauliflower too. They should be ok with the colder temps.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #491
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
26 tomato plants? Hot damn, you must like tomatoes. The most I've planted before was 7. That was about 5 too many. I was giving them away to anyone that would take them.

I'm thinking I'll plant my onions at least this weekend. Maybe my collards, broccoli and cauliflower too. They should be ok with the colder temps.
I'll take any excess produce. My wife got into canning last year. She did 68 pints of tomoatos alone.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #492
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Planted most of my seedlings yesterday. I cant keep putting it off with these damn cold temps. Taking a chance that we don't get a freeze yet, which might happen Sunday. See the low is supposed to be 39. Guess I can cover them with something.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #493
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

We don't plant in my neck of the woods until at least Memorial Day.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:35 PM   #494
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

All our stuff is growing away down in our plant growing tent.
It all needs thinned out, but I haven't felt it yet. I'll probably get Weeze down there, she'll do it.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM   #495
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

Got a few tomatoes coming along nicely. With some help from the weather these should be gone by middle of next week.

A side note. If anyone recognizes the company these are grown for please don't post the name. They don't really like when employees post stuff on the internet.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #496
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I need a green house like that!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #497
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

I've got 8 here but I could really use at least 4 more.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #498
Django
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Django
Trading: (1)
HdM
Django is on a distinguished road

My broad beans are coming along nicely and are flowering quite a bit earlier than normal.
It doesn't seem to bother the bumblebee though:
Old 05-12-2014, 05:04 PM   #499
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Whoo hoo! My chiltipen pepper seeds have shipped. Hopefully it's not to late to grow.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:24 AM   #500
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

First success (and failure) of my garden.

Success for the formed heads. Failure for the "bolted" plants. First time planting these over the last 5 years that I've had ANY plants bolt on me, and I have lost half my plants this year. And I even planted these early, a good 3-4 weeks before when I normally plant.