Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Firemedic
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Firemedic is on a distinguished road
Default How Much Propylene Glycol

Hello everyone! I've been getting mold spots on my humidifier wick after about a month and a half. It's been suggested that I add some PG. I have a quart humidifier from Aristocrat, how much should I add? By the way I'm gonna give a good cleaning with distilled water and I was told to use a touch of bleach and air dry. Any opinion on the bleach?
Firemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How Much Propylene Glycol

Well, the trick with bleach is to get rid of all of it, unless you want to smoke it. So, at a minimum, I'd put it in the hot sun for a long time.

However, if sterilization is your goal, I would think about using alcohol, which evaporates easier. You can get 90% isopropyl alcohol in the drug aisle for a couple of bucks.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

You could have just pushed the old thread up, since it's the same subject and your thread as well?

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=62763
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Bleach would work great at killing mold since it contains chlorine. Chlorine is an anti-microbial agent. I'd suggest looking around for the bleach your store has with the highest amount of chlorine. Yes, not all brands are the same. It's probably best to mix bleach with water when cleaning stuff around the house.

I work for a pool company (inground) and we see mold all the time, we use chlorine to kill it, it doesn't take much even when diluted.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Why not just give Bob Staebell a call? Its his humidifier and no one would know better than him.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Why not just give Bob Staebell a call? Its his humidifier and no one would know better than him.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Firemedic
Just in from the Storm

I did talk to Bob, he actually didn't recommend using any of the above cleaning methods including PG.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemedic View Post
I did talk to Bob, he actually didn't recommend using any of the above cleaning methods including PG.
... what did he recommend then?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Firemedic
Just in from the Storm

Soap and water and air dry. He's not a fan of any chemicals.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I don't use pg in my cabinet humidor humidifier. I just replace the wicks when the get gross.
If I was going the PG route, I'd clean the humidifier with soap and water, and use a scrub brush. A toothbrush to get in all the corners, too.
Then, depending on the size of your reservoir, I'd use about a 10% solution.
The stuff you buy off the shelf is usually cut 50% with water, a 50/50 solution. So you'd need to math it.
Food grade PG is what you want, someone asked about that in your last thread. I'd hook you up with some, I have a 5 gallon jug around here somewhere, but I can't find it. I went looking last time we discussed this.
Regardless, you can find the PG solution at just about any B&M or order it. I think there's a brand called Cigar Juice. Maybe search for that.
Good Luck!!!

Another point, and one to be cautious of...
PG solution is greasy. It's miscible with water, though. If you spill it in your humidor, it will stain the wood. Be super cautious and maybe put a pan or plastic under your humidifier.

I'm also not a fan of chemicals. PG is certainly a chemical, but it's also food. It's in tons of stuff we eat. Soda, salad dressing and beer are a few.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Personally, I don't use pg in my cabinet humidor humidifier. I just replace the wicks when the get gross.
If I was going the PG route, I'd clean the humidifier with soap and water, and use a scrub brush. A toothbrush to get in all the corners, too.
Then, depending on the size of your reservoir, I'd use about a 10% solution.
The stuff you buy off the shelf is usually cut 50% with water, a 50/50 solution. So you'd need to math it.
Food grade PG is what you want, someone asked about that in your last thread. I'd hook you up with some, I have a 5 gallon jug around here somewhere, but I can't find it. I went looking last time we discussed this.
Regardless, you can find the PG solution at just about any B&M or order it. I think there's a brand called Cigar Juice. Maybe search for that.
Good Luck!!!

Another point, and one to be cautious of...
PG solution is greasy. It's miscible with water, though. If you spill it in your humidor, it will stain the wood. Be super cautious and maybe put a pan or plastic under your humidifier.

I'm also not a fan of chemicals. PG is certainly a chemical, but it's also food. It's in tons of stuff we eat. Soda, salad dressing and beer are a few.
So that means I can combine two hobbies and use beer instead of distilled water in my humidor, right?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
So that means I can combine two hobbies and use beer instead of distilled water in my humidor, right?
Absolutely.