Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default AF Work Of Art Maduro (WOAM)

The pre-light first taste was a bit of sweet chocolate. Pre-light smell was sweet.
This cigar was amazing to light with a soft flame and let the burn do it's work.
First third was sweet with a bit of coffee.
Burn got a little wavy until cresting the mound then evened out.
First few draws where a bit tighter than desired, after a minor draw tool insertion everything is perfect. The first ash fell off at the end of the first third.

2nd third I picked up a mild spice with a mocha flavor coming in and out. Flavors were bouncing around pleasantly between sweet, pepper and what I think is leathery chocolate. Still perfect burn. This smoke seams much more complex than some info I've read. This cigar started to burn a bit wavy but corrected with a vengeance. The aroma that is produced is very pleasant and sweet. The smoke coats my mouth with a soft sweetness that leads back into a mild pepper. This is the first smoke I have had that I would consider sweet and peppery combining perfectly. A very mild desirable pepper though.

The final third I get a little spice again. I definitely value the constant change of flavors. Although there are not to many flavors, they fade in and out nicely. Picking up a bitter cocoa with some spice on the finish.
I did have a little bit of tar build up so I again poked my previous hole with my draw tool and did a flameless perge and everything was once again wonderful.
I highly recommend this stick to any Maduro lover!
This cigar defines Maduro for me. It will be a staple in my humidor if I can get my hands on some more.
The smoke is very dense and white.
This smoke can last me well over an hour and can be smoked very slowly.
I felt the nic hit me early so I slowed down and am now really pulling all these great flavors out.

A cream soda is a great partner for this cigar. I would love to try it again with a cup of unsweetend coffee to see if I pick up as much sweetness.

I paid close to $9 at a local b&m, it is a high price tag but I've paid as much for less enjoyable sticks.

I smoked a Hemmingway SS last week and it was good, the WOAM however is great!!!

This is only my second review, I enjoy righting reviews as I smoke to really appreciate and focus on the flavors. I couldn't find any reviews for this cigar in the last couple years so I figured instead of reviving an old one I would simply start another. Hope you enjoyed it!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 10-21-2011 at 06:53 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: AF Work Of Art Maduro (WOAM)

Nice review! I have one of these that were gifted to me....I didn't know what WOAM stood for and was too shy to ask....thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Lonely Raven

That looks like a nice stick!

Tell me what you think of that when you try it, Mickey, since you and I are about the same place in the newbie curve I think.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Nice job Shane...looks
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
Jefft72
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Jefft72 is on a distinguished road

Great review for sure! Sounds like a tasty stick that will be on my short list. I have not tried any AF yet and the price per stick is more than my usual, but exceptions can be made when necessary.
Jefft72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

The Hemingway Maduro line is my absolute favorite line of cigars. That said, I'm kind of the opposite of most here, I find the WOAMs to be a bit lacking compared to the others. Maybe its because of the subtle spice that mixes in that just throws me off with it. All the others are like smoking chocolate bars to me though. Good review Shane, you got a lot of the same flavors as me. Might have to "introduce" you to some of the other sizes in the line.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Great review! I really like the Fuente Hemingway cigars and the WOAM is a particular favorite. They usually draw a little tight until the foot opens up (after burn is past the tip).

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Very good review Shane! The Woam is one of my favorites for many reasons that you hit on. Another great cigar from A.F!
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
That looks like a nice stick!

Tell me what you think of that when you try it, Mickey, since you and I are about the same place in the newbie curve I think.
I may get to it this weekend, I believe it's coming up on my list.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Nice Shane....great stick!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #11
LigaPrivadaT84

Thank you, sir for the excellent review on one of my faves.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Shane...I love these.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Awesome cigar????
Old 10-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #14
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Love AF smokes. Haven't had this one yet but will without doubt seek one out.
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
w squared

I picked up a box of these at a B+M in Portland when I was visiting...and I love 'em. They've been consistent from stick to stick, and my friends have been consistent in really enjoying them when I've swapped or given some away. Even one of my friends that's not a Maduro fan (tends toward very mild flavours) really enjoyed the one I gave him.

If the consistency, flavour variety, and balance of these is a good indicator of what the other Hemingway vitolas have to offer, I think that I may be adding a couple more boxes to my collection.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #16
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

Nice reveiw, I've had a few WOAM's but hopefully I can find a few Hemmingway Signature maduro's this december when they are released. That seems to be my favorite size in the regular Hemmingway line.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #17
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Nice review Shane! Never had one but may need to change that.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
scottdurand
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Scott
Trading: (0)
scottdurand is on a distinguished road

After glowing reviews on the WOAM here for so long I finally tried one and WOW! It's superb. It's a longer smoke than you would think and flavor is very consistent. The wrapper has the expected sweet Fuente maduro flavor and I would agree it's an absolute perfect cigar to pair with a great cup of coffee!
scottdurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
Mutombo

Thanks for the review. I need to dig one of this up from the bottom of the humi.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice review bro!!