Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #1
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough
Default Burger toppings

Today I did a taste tasting for a new burger place opening here in Des Moines. One of the burgers I had was called Undead Elvis and it was topped with peanut butter and fried bananas. It was awesome and I can't wait for the place to open so I can have it again.

It also got me thinking. What do you top your burger with? I like mine with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.

What is your perfect burger?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Burger toppings

Cheddar, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, mayo and ketchup are my standard toppings. Every now and then I branch out with a gormet burger at a restaurant, i.e. gouda and other fancy stuff, and I'm always disappointed. I guess I'm a simpleton.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #3
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Gotta go with sauteed onions, pepperjack cheese, bacon, and jalapeno peppers. Would be curious to try that peanut butter and fried bananas one...
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Son you got some odd tastes, there. Can't say for sure since I never tried it, but that doesn't sound appetizing.
But then I read that you like yours with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.
Now I get it, lol. I tend towards minimalism in most things like that. I don't keep lettuce around cause it wilts
before I use it. I don't keep tomatoes around because I RACE THROUGH the produce section to get to the food.
I have ketchup and mayo in the fridge, so I take a slice of bread, ketchup and mayo and that's my burger.
Sometimes I will melt some cheese on it, or slice an onion. See, onions I can use to MAKE food, so I keep them
around regularly enough. When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
We saw them at other people's house, but for us it was two slices of Evangeline Maid Bread and a patty.

Now being as I am an excellent chef where fire and smoke are concerned, my burgers are still excellent even from
the shameful lack of excess in the finished product. But I wouldn't want to put my burger up against people with
a full fridge.

Last edited by OLS; 07-20-2011 at 06:49 AM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
lilcgrsmkr
Ready to smoke

First Name: may
Trading: (0)
lilcgrsmkr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Son you got some odd tastes, there. Can't say for sure since I never tried it, but that doesn't sound appetizing.
But then I read that you like yours with cheese, miracle whip, ketchup and a fried egg.
Now I get it, lol. I tend towards minimalism in most things like that. I don't keep lettuce around cause it wilts
before I use it. I don't keep tomatoes around because I RACE THROUGH the produce section to get to the food.
I have ketchup and mayo in the fridge, so I take a slice of bread, ketchup and mayo and that's my burger.
Sometimes I will melt some cheese on it, or slice an onion. See, onions I can use to MAKE food, so I keep them
around regularly enough. When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
We saw them at other people's house, but for us it was two slices of Evangeline Maid Bread and a patty.

Now being as I am an excellent chef where fire and smoke are concerned, my burgers are still excellent even from
the shameful lack of excess in the finished product. But I wouldn't want to put my burger up against people with
a full fridge.

hey..it sounds like you have some stories to tell..
lilcgrsmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcgrsmkr View Post
hey..it sounds like you have some stories to tell..
Don't get him started.

I prefer mine Carolina style, of course. Mustard, slaw & onions. And I don't like buns. I like thick sliced white bread because it holds all the condiments in while buns let them drip out.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
landhoney
Mr. Charisma

First Name: Seth
Trading: (32)
landhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura aboutlandhoney has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about "perfect", but one of my favorites is a bacon-cheeseburger with sauteed mushrooms and onions and just a light spread of mayo, with salt and pepper. It's fairly simple, but I like the combination. This is the usual combo I get at Five Guys.
landhoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney View Post
I don't know about "perfect", but one of my favorites is a bacon-cheeseburger with sauteed mushrooms and onions and just a light spread of mayo, with salt and pepper. It's fairly simple, but I like the combination. This is the usual combo I get at Five Guys.
Will have to give this a go.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:38 AM   #9
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Start with a good onion bun, pepper jack cheese, mustard, red onion, bacon, jalapenos and maybe a leaf of lettuce.

I also had a bacon, egg & cheese burger by accident. It was really good too.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
kingcobradude
Now known as Epicdragon7

First Name: Clay
Trading: (2)
kingcobradude is on a distinguished road

depends. at sonic I get everything on it and mayo. If I cook it at home ill put cheese ketchup and mayo on it with 85/15 hamburger. if I manage to get 75/25 or higher fat i will just put cheese on it. though I may season it with spices before throwing it on the grill, and I usually throw sasafras chips in the charcoal bed when I cook them
kingcobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
I tend towards minimalism in most things like that.
+1. Normally it's just burger and ketchup for me (and sometimes the onion to), though I do use an actual hamburger bun. Last week I tried some A1 on my burger since I was out of ketchup. DAMN it was good. I may have found a new favorite topping.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
When I grew up, there was no such thing as a hamburger bun as far as my family knew.
Obligatory insertion of Eddie Murphy's hamburger joke in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxIYUMxiraE

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Kneo
The Second One

There is a place in New Haven that claims to have invented the hamburger. They flame broil it in Cast Iron gas stoves. They put it between two slices of bread because back in the day they didn't have buns. They also don't allow ketchup, mayo or mustard as they feel that takes away from the meat.

I hope to eat there someday!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #14
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersozei View Post
Obligatory insertion of Eddie Murphy's hamburger joke in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxIYUMxiraE

I own that DVD

My brother recently started dating a girl named lillian, so I busted out the movie while they were over for dinner, and played this bit for her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtz_zlHW6IM
Old 07-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #15
ShaynT

Cheddar, Grilled Tinned Pineapple and Beetroot
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 AM   #16
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Sauteed onions & mushrooms, cheddar, and occasionialy bacon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Onions, tomato, lettuce, bacon or sauteed onions, mushrooms, bacon and something with a kick.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #18
Patrick B
Feeling at Home

Trading: (6)
Patrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick B has a spectacular aura about

We have a new local place that has a peanut butter, fried banana, and bacon burger. I'm trying that one next. I had to get the surf and turf first with 4 oz crab meat and Bearnaise sauce.

My favorite burgers tend to be simple. American cheese, bacon, and lots of pickles.
Patrick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #19
Kneo
The Second One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick B View Post
We have a new local place that has a peanut butter, fried banana, and bacon burger. I'm trying that one next. I had to get the surf and turf first with 4 oz crab meat and Bearnaise sauce.

My favorite burgers tend to be simple. American cheese, bacon, and lots of pickles.
The one with crab meat sounds awesome.

When I was younger the only thing I could put on my burger was ketchup. As I have gotten older my tastes have changed and I tend to like more things. I still can't stand tomato though!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick B View Post

I'm tempted to try that one also next time!