Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #21
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rattray old gowrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
I'm bummed I missed the McCelland days and their tobacco. All I hear and see is frog Morton this and frog Morton that. But at the same time I'm glad I did. I have no idea what I'm missing out on and what I wont be able to get again! You cant miss what you've never had. I'm having no problem finding blends and brands I do like.

I tried another bowl of brown clunee last night and this time I loved it. I slowed down with my cadence and didnt puff on my pipe so hard. It was a brand new tobacco for me that time around. I also had it sitting out for awhile too vs straight from tin to pipe.
you didn't miss much in regards to McClellands blends. very few were really worth purchasing. their flakes were so frustrating and damn near impossible to keep lit/enjoy.
*and mike was a jerk

i don't get on here much anymore, but i think i read that you still smoke cigars?
if so, you may not be able to catch some of the more subtle flavors that i milder smoke like Old Gowrie presents just due to the fact your tastebuds need something with a lot of punch. and for being a VaPer (my fav genre), it is on the milder of perique peppery, if i recall. it used to be made by Kohlasse & Kopp (if i spelled that right), and was the bees knees. i haven't bought tobacco since about 2006, so i don't know who's making it now.

a lot of the people i know from being on the boards and in person, who were making the switch from cigars (and/or still smoked cigarettes), i would angle more towards the English and Oriental blends, that way they would actually get some taste out of it. essentially, if you're still smoking cigars/cigarettes, your tastebuds are hammered. it took me a good month of strictly pipe smoking before i was able to notice some of the underlying flavors of VA's and VaPers.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #22
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Cut View Post
you didn't miss much in regards to McClellands blends. very few were really worth purchasing. their flakes were so frustrating and damn near impossible to keep lit/enjoy.
*and mike was a jerk

i don't get on here much anymore, but i think i read that you still smoke cigars?
if so, you may not be able to catch some of the more subtle flavors that i milder smoke like Old Gowrie presents just due to the fact your tastebuds need something with a lot of punch. and for being a VaPer (my fav genre), it is on the milder of perique peppery, if i recall. it used to be made by Kohlasse & Kopp (if i spelled that right), and was the bees knees. i haven't bought tobacco since about 2006, so i don't know who's making it now.

a lot of the people i know from being on the boards and in person, who were making the switch from cigars (and/or still smoked cigarettes), i would angle more towards the English and Oriental blends, that way they would actually get some taste out of it. essentially, if you're still smoking cigars/cigarettes, your tastebuds are hammered. it took me a good month of strictly pipe smoking before i was able to notice some of the underlying flavors of VA's and VaPers.
Interesting I'm quiet the opposite in everything you posted haha. I heavily lean towards VA heavy blends if not straight VA. Capstan blue, dunhill flake are my go to flakes right now. I'm currently chasing down some McC 40th. That stuff is crazy good and if you can find it at a reasonable price, damn good stuff and worth having some around.

I still enjoy lat blends. Quiet nights is a must have in my cellar with penz and exotique being my favorite lat blends.

There are a ton of other blends I love but straight VAs are probably my favorite right now. Dont smoke cigs any more (over 1yr clean) but still smoke cigars.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #23
Curly Cut
Not Scary

Trading: (9)
Curly Cut is on a distinguished road

i haven't bought tobacco since probably around 2008 or 2009... was never a fan of McClellands, although i owned plenty of tins and it's shop was in KC...
took some tin artwork to Mike when he was making a clubs tobacco for us, even placed it in his grubby hands... showed up at the KC pipe show and he pointed to a huge stack of tins that they "GAVE" to the KC pipe club (which i was a member of) because, "we never got ahold of him." which was total bullshit, as i handed him the damn artwork personally and another member had left them countless calls on the issue.
aside from that, their tobacco seemed to either be too wet to stay lit, or too dry to be pliable (if you like broken flakes).
i still have some tins and some bulk (i believe 5100 and 2010, but it's been a decade since i even looked at 'em), but they are the last blend i'd reach out for (aside from Solani, that i have allergic reactions to).

anywho, just thought i'd try and help with some experiences i've had over the years with new pipers who can't "taste" certain things while still smoking cigars/cigarettes.

glad you're enjoying it.