Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
RottenZombie

Default Smoked my first Bowl.

I smokes my first bowl today.I got a starter kit from SixPackSunday.and tried the Mac Barren Vanilla.I liked it But it started getting hot on me about half way through.Am I smoking too fast?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on smoking a pipe properly.

Thanks Joe
Old 02-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
TheJ

Default Re: Smoked my first Bowl.

Too fast is possible. Did you let it sit out for a while before you filled the bowl? A dryer tobacco won't burn as hot.

I like MacB Vanilla. It's good stuff.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

MacB blends are known to burn a bit hot. A combination of a new pipe smoker and a MacB blend may not be the best starting combination.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
GrtndpwrflOZ
Just call me OZ

First Name: Brian
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
GrtndpwrflOZ is on a distinguished road

Now it's the pipe.
Another slope for RZ
Way to go Bro.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenZombie View Post
I smokes my first bowl today.I got a starter kit from SixPackSunday.and tried the Mac Barren Vanilla.I liked it But it started getting hot on me about half way through.Am I smoking too fast?

I would greatly appreciate any advice on smoking a pipe properly.

Thanks Joe
GrtndpwrflOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
WWhermit

New pipe smoker, an aromatic tobacco, and new pipe will all contribute to a hot pipe.

1. You are a new pipe smoker, and will by nature be agressive with the pipe, trying to taste the flavor. Slow down, try sipping on the pipe instead of puffing.

2. As said before, aromatics, and in particular Mac Barens will tend to burn hot. This is due to a higher moisture content than other tobaccos. Moisture and heat create steam, which will heat up the pipe and burn your tongue. Again, slow it down, and let the tobacco sit out on a paper plate or paper towel for about 1/2 hour before loading your pipe. This will give a chance for the tobacco to dry out a bit.

3. New pipes haven't built up a cake on the inside yet, and you must be extra careful not to create hot spots, and eventually burning a hole through the pipe. Remember, this is wood, and if not "conditioned" properly, will burn just as readily as the tobacco. A cake needs to be built up to absorb some of that heat, and that only comes with time and patience.

You'll get it, just slow down a bit, enjoy the relaxation of it, and take the time to learn technique in loading, smoking, and cleaning. It's worth it!

WWhermit
Old 02-24-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
dogsplayinpoker

you may want to stay away from aros, get some Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Something burley will give you flavor without the casing of aromatics.