Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #4561
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
While I have two ARs, aside from shooting them, my knowledge is limited to the breakdown for cleaning.
I am curious as to what it takes to build one and why so many go that route v. buying one from a major manufacturer. Some of the prices on parts I see seem to add up to more than one already built.
What exactly is the list of parts one would need aside from an upper, lower and lower parts kit?
1) because it's easy
2) it'll give you a better knowledge of your AR and how to repair it without a gun smith.

AR15 build guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #4562
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by garryyjr View Post
What are your guys thought on carry, concealed at a friends house? Wither they are pro guns, semi gun pro or anti guns?
It's their property and in that respect you should ask them. That said, concealed is concealed...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #4563
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
What are your guys thought on carry, concealed at a friends house? Wither they are pro guns, semi gun pro or anti guns?
Always an interesting question. I think it comes down to the people.

Sometimes, you know the guy, you know his stance clear as day. If you know he carries in his house, odds are you can too. Unless you're an irresponsible ****, then he's not going to want you and a gun anywhere near his family

If you know they're very anti-gun, odds are you need new friends, err, I mean, you should respect their rights in their own home and not carry.

For the inbetween'ers... it's a judgement call. Some I would ask and respect their answer. For some, well, it's CONCEALED carry, and I carry mine DEEP, and I'm not there for drinking... so I won't ask. But if I think there's any chance they would be offended, I'll ask, or just leave it in the car.

Sometimes, you see a very different dynamic in families. I've seen a number of pro-gun husbands and gun-neutral wives, where the wife accepts and TRUSTS her husband's use of a firearm, but would not be so likely to trust anyone else in her home with a gun, regardless of whether she knows you or not. And if she's got children running around, that sentiment only gets stronger.
(My fiance is anti-gun, and this is most likely the stance she will take in our house as well - trusting ME with a gun is grudgingly accepted, and is a very different thing than trusting someone else with one.)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #4564
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
1) because it's easy
2) it'll give you a better knowledge of your AR and how to repair it without a gun smith.

AR15 build guide: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_.html
And if you want your hand held even more, this has pretty good reviews. Currently sold out, saw it run through on slickguns a week or two back.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o07_s01_i00
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #4565
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Midway has genuine Glock 17 mags in stock for $25 (NOT the korean ones)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538...-polymer-black
Old 01-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #4566
ambientboy
...from the internet

First Name: Dan
Trading: (0)
RA
ambientboy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it depends on what their stance and comfort levels are. I mean, concealed is concealed. When I CC, no one knows it's on me unless I WANT them to know. If my Glock 30SF is in my CompTac IWB, no one knows unless they brush up against it. That being said, I work in two industries in which personal space is just a myth, so every now and again I'll get a hug or a smack or something and they're like "Are you packin today?" "Yup" and then we move on.

But I'd say, if you go somewhere that you know is going to be a pain in the ass to have it lodged somewhere uncomfortable (i.e. IWB during a Superbowl party) I'd say either leave it in your car, or ask if you can stash it somewhere.

When I go to my friend Mel's house, I walk in, say hi, give her a hug, then pull out whichever piece I'm carrying, drop the mag, pop the chambered round, cycle the action, and stash the mag/piece/+1 round in the end table drawer all before going in and saying hello to her sister and their roomy. But they're from Texas where these things are normal...and because I knew they were pro-carry, I had a conversation with them about it. I also don't mind leaving it in the table drawer because they're each a decent shot and could handle whatever I bring over.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #4567
big pete
Going to the darkside....

PL
big pete will become famous soon enoughbig pete will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Spikes tactical 9MM upper receiver with Daniel Defense AR Lite Rail 9.0
Complete with BCG, Spikes Tactical enhanced 9mm maxwell block and ST-T2 heavy buffer, latter covers. aprox 200 round count.
Would $900 seem way too pricey for this setup?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #4568
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

Figure the break down is

$500-600 for the upper alone
$200ish for the DD rails
$100 for the mag block
and maybe about $100 for the rest of the stuff
not a bad deal
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #4569
big pete

PL

That's what I thought. Is it missing anything other than mags?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #4570
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

not sure but you may need a 9mm hammer. What pattern mag is the spikes? does it come with buffer spring?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #4571
big pete

PL

I believe it uses Uzi mags. For the buffer spring, I thought the normal AR .223 spring will work with the kits as long as you're using a 9mm buffer
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #4572
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yup standard buffer spring should be ok. I use the wolff XP power in mines because I load my stuff hot.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #4573
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
Midway has genuine Glock 17 mags in stock for $25 (NOT the korean ones)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538...-polymer-black
I saw that last night too and picked up 2 for my 22.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #4574
big pete

PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
load my stuff hot.
TMI
Old 01-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #4575
Robulous78

Ok Firearm guys...

I want my very own AR-15... but I am a broke a$$ with very little money...

with the proposed ban, I don't have much time, I read yesterday that if this ban passes the only thing it will affect is the ability to purchase lowers... is this true? meaning I need to go buy one ASAP?

What is the cheapest possible path from nothing to a completed left handed AR-15?

Old 01-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #4576
big pete

PL

fyi guys - midwestpx has the NFA polymer stripped lowers in stock

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=92&sort=3a&page=2
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4577
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
fyi guys - midwestpx has the NFA polymer stripped lowers in stock

http://midwestpx.com/index.php?cPath=92&sort=3a&page=2
not anymore
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #4578
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robulous78 View Post
Ok Firearm guys...

I want my very own AR-15... but I am a broke a$$ with very little money...

with the proposed ban, I don't have much time, I read yesterday that if this ban passes the only thing it will affect is the ability to purchase lowers... is this true? meaning I need to go buy one ASAP?

What is the cheapest possible path from nothing to a completed left handed AR-15?
OK, so here's the deal. A stripped lower is what you have to acquire before a ban passes.

How much you're willing to pay for that lower, and how likely you think it is that a ban will actually pass, is something YOU have to determine. I would advice caution from buying into the fear mongering... and I would also advice equal caution from becoming complacent and thinking it can't happen. both extremes will not lend to healthy decisions.

So, advising on the assumption a ban will pass (because if one doesn't pass, you don't really have any questions that need answer):
You need a stripped lower. You can get one on Gunbroker right now for $350-$400. Retail is $90-$150. You're paying that surcharge for peace of mind, and the ability to have it in your hand NOW. Your other option for NOW would be to try going to a gun show this weekend, you'll probably find one on sale for $300-$350 (go early). A bird in the hand, two in the bush, and all that jazz.

If you think a ban will pass, but not for another 3-4 months, then you have other options. You can watch SlickGuns like a hawk and, waiting to pounce on a batch of lowers put up for sale or preorder. "in stock" generally doesn't ship for another 2-4 weeks. Pre-orders typically ship in 3-8 weeks. Make sure you find out before you buy.
BOTH of these pages will have listings for lowers on them:
http://www.slickguns.com/category/accessories
http://www.slickguns.com/category/rifles

POLYMER lowers: Lots of guys will thumb their noses at a polymer lower. I kinda am that way, but mostly because it doesn't fit MY needs. BUT a polymer lower does have it's place in the world, and they can be pretty danged durable (and because it flexes more, it can actually be more durable in some cases where metal would be irrecoverably bent). A bigger disadvantage to them I think than a perceived lack of durability, is a lack of customize-ability. Many times the Stock is fixed, etc. (that's actually a good thing - more mass, fewer small parts and joints to break). Either way, if you're flat broke, you want a plinker AR to have, hold and enjoy at the range or take hunting, A quality polymer lower is an option. And it's typically running only around $170 these days. You won't have much flexibility, but it will do the job.

I think that sums up what I know at the moment.

It should go without saying that you'll need to pick up a few magazines as well. A magazine capacity ban, in fact, has a much higher chance of passing than anything else.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #4579
big pete

PL

Had two in my cart but decided to skip it since the two local FFLs charge $100+tax for transfers. I can get a private party metal one for a little more
Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #4580
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by big pete View Post
Had two in my cart but decided to skip it since the two local FFLs charge $100+tax for transfers. I can get a private party metal one for a little more
$100!!!!!! &&$@%#%&#@

Is that "normal" for cali?

My local ones charge $25