Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default What to look for in a real estate agent?

Well, I spoke to the hiring manager for the position I'm wanting in Ocala, FL yesterday with the same company that eliminated my position in the corporate office on July 15th. In the nearly 8 months the position has been open, I'm already #1 on the list to hire for the position based upon all those who've applied thus far. I was highly recommended to her by a director that oversees all of the properties in the Florida region, so she's said she's pretty much good to go with it and was impressed with my resume.

The only "little" hang up at the moment is that arrangements were made a month ago for a guy to go in and fill the job on a temporary basis, which may be just a month or two. She said had I applied before June 22nd, I would be down there now. I will certainly keep my eye open for some other opportunities, but I really liked the company and the potential is great. I know a lot of people would say to hell with them, but this would have been as likely to happen anywhere else I would have been.

During my time off, I'm going to do some stuff around the house to prepare it for showing. I'm going to be looking for a real estate agent, so what are the typical things I should ask amongst a host of agents that I interview? In addition, I'll be looking for an agent in the area I'll be most likely relocating. I've never used an agent as a buyer either, so what things should I ask for down there when it comes to talking to potential agents?

Thanks for any suggestions you have.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: What to look for in a real estate agent?

Hey - good luck on the job deal - always nice to land a job you really want.

As for the real estate agent - I'd say just make sure she is cute - makes the time going around looking at properties a lot more enjoyable than being with some ugly old dude -

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Swampper
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
VR
Swampper is on a distinguished road

Get an agent that has a lot of energy. Good agents refer to realtors that work 40 hours-a-week as part-timers.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

A nice rack
Scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

The first thing is to determine how open they are to meeting at times that suite you! I had an agent once who did not work on weekends!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me. She was appointed by a company I worked for and it was a pain to change her. Then just go with gut feel. If they argue with about things you dont like, change them, stuff like that. Also, dont sign these exclusivity documents. If an agent wont do work without it, find another. although it is bad taste, you can also use more then one realtor if you do noot sign these agreements. Hope this helps and congrats.
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
sodomanaz

This is probably common knowledge (I didn't know), but don't sign anything until you are sure that the agent/company you have is the one you want. I made that mistake when buying my place, and ended up fighting with my agent up until we closed on a place.

When you sign the agreement, you are locked in for a determined amount of time to the agent, and even if you find a place without the help of the agent, they will still come collect their commission. Generally the time you are committed ranges from 6 months to a year.

Anyway, just make sure to check references. There are a lot of scumbags.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:54 AM   #7
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

I'll third the above. Don't sign anything until you find the property you want to buy and are ready to put earnest money down.

A good place to start looking is with the local realtors association. They will have a list of realtors that are members in good standing.

More than anything it is a gut feeling. Don't be afraid of moving on to another realtor. This person should work for you not against you. If you say you can only afford up to 200k and they are showing you 275k then you have a problem.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
A nice rack
Good thinking...
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
bowhnter
Backyard BBQer

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
bowhnter is on a distinguished road

Looking for a buying agent is a lot easier than a selling agent.

For the buyer, be sure to have a detailed list of what is is you actually want / need in A home. Tell them the kind of areas you are interested in, how important it to be close to schools, shopping, etc.

I have found all my agents at open houses, you can get a feel for the type of work they do.