Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation
Default Re: So, I thought about doing the cash for clunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerSRT8 View Post
They want to make sure you don't go to a salvage yard and buy a $500 "driver" to scam the system. I like the 25 year old rule to protect classics, speaking of...this Camaro with a V8 is worth more as a low mileage enthusiast car. Even a well preserved low mileage V6 car could be worth more than the $4500. Any way I wasn't planning on replacing the wife's car for two more years but if I can get the numbers straight I'll buy her a PT Cruiser today for $8500. My '95 Cougar qualifies.
Yeah but the problem, is most 25+ year old cars piles of junk... and you can't tell me that a rusted out 1982 F250, that needs LOTs of work is a classic...
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #22
Rabidsquirrel
Moderately Confused

Trading: (5)
Rabidsquirrel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoings View Post
trying not to LOL
It's a shame you enjoy the same benefits as us tax payers.
Rabidsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #23
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trading: (7)
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

Our family tried to get in on this.

1. Father has a sweet 99 Cressida that has started using oil. Value $2300 but unfortunately gets 19 mpg

2. Sister in law has a POS 01 Ranger. Value maybe $500. but it also was originally rated at 19 mpg.

3. Father has a 82 Town car. 140K all road trips. Too old.

This law was made with too many hoops. I read on one blog that the total national price of this law would be less than a million because most cars just would not qualify.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #24
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road

I so want to trade in my 03 Toyota Matrix for a new Camaro, but somehow I do not think this will get me anything in this deal! If I drive the Matrix hard enough I can average 18mpg and if I drive the Camaro slow enough, it will get 28..... come on Gov, work with me on this!
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #25
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
This almost makes blood shoot out my eyes! Why the hell are they scraping these vehicles? Aren't there people out there that are loosing their vehicles because they have lost they're job and can't afford the payments? How are they supposed to get to work when they get a job?
OH no, you are mistaken. The economy is fixed, I heard the President say so Wednesday night. It must be a mistake with the finance company or something if anyone is losing their vehicles now. They should probably just call and get it straightened out
blugill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
BigAl_SC
The last mango in Paris

First Name: Alan
Trinidad
BigAl_SC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugill View Post
OH no, you are mistaken. The economy is fixed, I heard the President say so Wednesday night. It must be a mistake with the finance company or something if anyone is losing their vehicles now. They should probably just call and get it straightened out

You are correct, sir. I pointed that out last night to a friend who has been looking for a job for six months. (IT director and project manager for a fortune 500 that sent everything overseas). The economy is all fixed and the fact that he can not find employment is all his fault because he wishes to make more than minimum wage. The President said so.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

we have a similar kind of system in canada......get a discount off a new car or donate it to charity and get a tax reciept. quite a few seem to be taking advantage of it judging by how many of them i pick up. we get them and cannot sell them at all, we arent even suppose to sell the engines out of them. they are now talking about giving a discount coupon for the purchase of a bicycle for trading in an old clunker.

this is our program
http://www.retireyourride.ca/home.aspx
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #28
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think you will find that soon Mfg's will chip in with their own incentives. Saw a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep ad this morning that said they are matching the govt program for those with a qualifying car and offering their own rebate for those who do not have a qualifier. Great news for those with a trader, good news for those who dont. If you are looking for a Chrysler product.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

We all need to remember that this falls under the umbrella of one of the oldest lies around: " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you".

Run away from it as fast as you can.

When are people going to wake up and realize that the government usually does not fix anything they make the problems worse or create new ones. This program is just another attempt to bailout the bailout.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #30
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYsc...eature=related

Crack pot or not this guy has the right idea!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:37 PM   #31
sikk50
Just Bored Really...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (13)
LGC
sikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of lightsikk50 is a glorious beacon of light

Do diesels qualify? If so I got a 13mpg oil burner they can have lol
Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #32
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I think you will find that soon Mfg's will chip in with their own incentives. Saw a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep ad this morning that said they are matching the govt program for those with a qualifying car and offering their own rebate for those who do not have a qualifier. Great news for those with a trader, good news for those who dont. If you are looking for a Obama Motors product.
Bob, there is a reason for those ads. I have 2 Chrysler vehicles that are coming out of lease in a few months, and the dealers are begging me to take a new vehicle from them - their lots are full of 2009 models, and they are practically giving them away. But, here in the Motor City, no one is interested, especially the many thousands of laid-off and bought-out ex-Chrysler employees.

By the same token, the one company that didn't go begging for money from the Guvmint, Ford, has zero 2009's and are selling truckloads of 2010's that show up daily! I went Friday to look at a Ford Explorer; it's the same size as my Jeep Commander, and if I get something new, I'll probably go with Ford. And this is coming from someone who has been buying or leasing Chrysler vehicles exclusively since 1973!

This whole "Cash for Clunkers" deal is another Obama "Were doing our best to help out you poor people out there" program. If it was really meant to help anyone, the program would have been written to accept any vehicle that is 10 years old or older and doesn't meet the upcoming new CAFE standards!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #33
tobii3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
By the same token, the one company that didn't go begging for money from the Guvmint, Ford, has zero 2009's and are selling truckloads of 2010's that show up daily!
Ah yes, Ford. Repeat after me...""Class action Lawsuits""

Remember The Firestone debacle back in the 90's? Over 250 people killed, hundreds injured, and Ford's response was to ""offer"" a $300 or $500 voucher towards a NEW Ford vehicle. That was nice of them.

Maybe the Plastic Manifolds?? The one that leaked and caused the engines to seize?? Ford was nice enough to send 1.8 million owners a check for $735. That's nice considering an engine replacement is in the THOUSANDS of dollars.

Or possibly the ""rollover risk"" of the ""Exploder""?? Once again, Ford was nice enough to offer the same $300 to $500 voucher (if you QUALIFIED for it) towards a new Ford vehicle.

Maybe the cruise control problem?? 3.6 million vehicles with a switch that could cause the engine to catch fire?? Then not having enough repair parts to FIX the problem??

Oh yeah, Ford is right there at the top of my list.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:37 PM   #34
shaggy
just pokin around.....

Trading: (4)
Bolivar
shaggy will become famous soon enough

i heard the reason ford didnt go after a bailout was that they mortgaged all their plants for operating capitol. that would be some big debt to try to get out of if it is true
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #35
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05 View Post
I wouldn't treat this site as gospel. I've got a 97 Wrangler that I've been told qualifies as the combined milage is somewhere around 17 mpg. KBB is saying the vehicle has a combined mileage of 20 mpg, and so doesn't qualify.

It then quotes a 98 Wrangler as having 18 mpg combined which does qualify. The 97 and 98 are the essentially the same vehicle AFAIK

Point is, check around.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #36
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

Here's the "official' offical mileage government table.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/CarsSearchIntro.shtml

Larry
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #37
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley00p View Post
Bob,

Charlie, I take offense at your attempt ot politicize my post. My intent was to show that the manufacturers will all come up with their own incentive programs for those who are looking to make a purchase. The choice of car manufacturer is personal and I would in no way direct anyone to choose one manufacturer over another.

The OP's question was whether or not you would be participating in this program. Political commentary is not necessary or permissible.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #38
larryinlc
Angry Packer Fan

First Name: Larry
Trading: (15)
larryinlc has disabled reputation

There seems to be some gaps in logic on the gov site. Certain cars and trucks aren't even listed. I wonder who made the chart?
Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 07-26-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: ADD STUFF
larryinlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #39
alley00p
Adopted MassHole

First Name: Charlie
Partagas AirForce (Served With Honor)
alley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura aboutalley00p has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Charlie, I take offense at your attempt ot politicize my post. My intent was to show that the manufacturers will all come up with their own incentive programs for those who are looking to make a purchase. The choice of car manufacturer is personal and I would in no way direct anyone to choose one manufacturer over another.

The OP's question was whether or not you would be participating in this program. Political commentary is not necessary or permissible.
Bob, you are completely correct, and I apologize for changing your words in the quote. I have no excuse for my conduct, and didn't realize the large amount of frustration I have for our conditions here locally would allow me to do something that offended another Inmate.

I have sent you a separate PM, and other than asking here that you accept my apology in the spirit that it was offered, I won't be discussing anything else here on this thread.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #40
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinlc View Post
I have a pristine 95 Camaro bought new by me with 43k miles on it, and thought I might take advantage of the cash for clunkers program. According to the cars.gov website, my car averages 20mpg so it does not qualify. Also, it would be shame to scrap this car as required by law. Still, that 4500.00 would have been a sweet deal on a new car. Anyone taking advantage of the program??

Larry
Chrysler Doubles Cash Incentive

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...965&&GT1=22013

"Double Ca$h for Your Old Car," offers up to $4,500 cash or 0 percent financing for 72 months on qualifying new vehicles, even if the consumer's trade-in doesn't qualify for the federal incentive.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote