Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 PM   #41
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tattoo design feedback

Have you considered talking to an artist to create something for you? I do agree that the Coexist thing is a little played out but there's no reason you can't make it your own.

I've done a few tatoo designs. I do one the way they asked and one the way I would do it. The one thing that all the people have in common is they like my designs better than their ideas.

You're going to have this forever so spend a few extra dollars and have a pro give you something amazing.

Either way, good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #42
ucubed
Corona Cigars

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (15)
ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Of course I'm going to an artist to get their sketches done, I thought that was a given =P. I'm just here for some feedback, criticisms, and critiques before I go anywhere. I'm planning on going some time early next week to talk to the artist.

As for the coexist thing being played out, I rarely see it and there isn't really a better clear cut message like that. It's not like I've seen this on anyone else before, unlike a simple cross or a nautical star, not trying to hate on them or anything... It is my own really, took a few parts here and there from different designs, and I'm trying to get another symbol added to it.

Last edited by ucubed; 03-20-2009 at 07:13 PM.
ucubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #43
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

My wife wants to know if your mom knows about this?
Old 03-20-2009, 07:14 PM   #44
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the roughucubed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI_2 View Post
My wife wants to know if your mom knows about this?
nope ahahah!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #45
Bax

Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Here's a couple sketchs I did for some friends tatoos.

The first was a snake wrapped around a dagger. Nice, but changing the dagger to a sword and adding a backround I think makes a better statement.

The second was a simple lions head. How may of those have you seen? But by changing the mane to flames it adds a personal touch.

Hit up a local artistor maybe your tatoo guy and let him see what they can do for you.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #46
Bax

Partagas

I thought your design was the one you were taking to the artist to have done. Not letting the artist design it.

My mistake then. I've seen too many crap jobs because someone thought something looked good and they go to the guy and tell him to ink it.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #47
ucubed
Corona Cigars

ahaha yea I hear ya Bax, thanks for your concern, but I've had many years of thought and planning and I'm not going to waste it upon my crappy artistic talent that I did in like a minute. I'm not creative enough so I'll be definitely taking it to the artist, that's more of a base outline of what I made to make it easier
Old 03-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #48
LooseCard
not wrapped too tight....

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
RyJ
LooseCard will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking softer tones on the leaves, and darker on the ring - so the aum can replace the male/female symbol.

I like the idea, but I would want to test-run it.....
LooseCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #49
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseCard View Post
I'm thinking softer tones on the leaves, and darker on the ring - so the aum can replace the male/female symbol.

I like the idea, but I would want to test-run it.....
That's exactly what I was thinking Loose on the aum, I'm writing everything down to take to the artist so the final product should be better
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #50
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Well that's what I was getting at, something more objective =P
Doh! I meant subjective.
Sounds like you have a good plan.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #51
Jay Hemingway
I know because of KRS1

Trading: (7)
LFdC
Jay Hemingway will become famous soon enough

i wouldn't do it..
Jay Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:57 PM   #52
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleF View Post
Gotta agree with mmblz!!!
I see them on Prius' out here in CA. Good for now, but who knows what the future will bring.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 PM   #53
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Start smaller. Honestly, getting something to cover your entire shoulder area is a hell of a leap into tattoos. If you are happy with your tattoo, don't worry about what other people think. I realize you want something that means something to you, but start it a little smaller
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #54
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Sorry, but I'm not a big fan of the design, especially since you are planning to make it so big. It reminds me of some of the tattoos I’ve seen on my parents’ hippie friends from CA. I’m sure they were cool back then, but now… not so much.
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #55
TheJ

I highly recommend doing what I have been doing lately. For years I've wanted more work done, but couldn't really settle on design, themes, and placement.

I had my girlfriend take some photos of me without my shirt from different angles. I then took my designs on Photoshop and essentially tattooed them on me. You can try aviary.com if you don't have Photoshop. Aviary even has a great tutorial on the subject.

Most of the time I would see that the size, placement, or design didn't look right immediately. Others I would come back to every few days and eventually think no way or yep, I'm gonna get this one. Heck, send me a pic of bare skin where you want it and I'll give you a quick sample. Keep in mind today was day 3 of a 9 day work stretch so I can't guarantee a quick turn around.

You are obviously passionate about the design and meaning so I say go for it. I know you don't see it often, but here in the panhandle I see it multiple times a week. Granted I'm no idiot so I immediately picked up "coexist" the first second I saw it. I really don't know how anyone other than an imbecile would have to ask what the design meant. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #56
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
Granted I'm no idiot so I immediately picked up "coexist" the first second I saw it. I really don't know how anyone other than an imbecile would have to ask what the design meant.
Thank you for calling me an idiot and an imbecule.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
ucubed
Corona Cigars

LOL Ferdinand.

Well I've done placement stuff already and I enjoy it where it is, just size is going to be what I'm working on. Like I said I'm going to be going to the shop and talking to the artists early this week to talk about design placement and such, it's all just a base outline.

As for something smaller, I have many other things I want to get, I haven't had the time to plan it out. I really am not worried about regretting it later. Past, present, future, it's always going to be relevant. Thanks for all the concern and feedback, how about we start to have a little more critiques on the actual design since I'm pretty set on getting it =)

Sure it might be a hippie thing, but I don't understand how it doesn't mean anything today. I don't understand when you say it's not cool today. How is coexisting not cool? Maybe I am a pacifist or something beats me, is the message really that outdated? I highly doubt that it's going to be irrelevant any time soon, you don't see any 1 religion or something taking over, there is still fighting going on, more so than ever so if anything it's even more relevant today as it was say in the 50's, 60's, 70's.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM   #58
WildBlueSooner
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: James
Trading: (19)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
WildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura aboutWildBlueSooner has a spectacular aura about

Ok if you want feedback on the design I think you definitely need to come up with something to make it more your own. Take the basic idea but do something different. I too see the coexist thing all over the the place and it looks so similar to what you have. If I saw that I would be like "oh there is that coexist thing again" but if you could get really creative people would be like "sweet, look how he did that". Unfortunately I am not very creative and cant help you there, which is why I don't have any tattoos myself.

So basically I say you need to come up with something more original that has the same meaning. Just mt two cents.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #59
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucubed View Post
Sure it might be a hippie thing
I'm gonna call you 'hippie' during the East Coast trip and E.L.V.I.S. all the time
Old 03-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #60
ucubed
Corona Cigars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
I'm gonna call you 'hippie' during the East Coast trip and E.L.V.I.S. all the time
Sadly I'm probably one of the least hippies you'll know...well for the most part.

As for the design being similar, indeed it is similar to the ones that are out there. However, it's only only my design and I have yet taken it to a professional. Once I do get it sketched I'll repost what they have done for me.