Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 02-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice
Default Wanted to Throw up :pu

Hit a couple B&Ms today as I had some running around to do. Stopped at one and the woman working there was real nice and friendly and was trying to be helpful but after a short conversation left me be in their walk-in. After looking around I spotted a box on a high shelf that read "Anejo selections" So being the curious SOB that I am I opened the box. Low and behold they had a good number of Sharks and torps in there.My first thought was, wow the two hardest sizes to find and they still have them in stock. Again, curiousity got me and I had to turn them over to see the price. WTF!!!!!! $25 for the torps and $30 for the Sharks!!!!! I grabbed a couple other sticks that weren't over priced and headed to the register, and again the woman working there was super friendly until I brought up the Anejos. I was prob a bit of a d*ck head which made her go from nice to I can't get you out of the store so others can't hear you fast enough. I nonchalantly said "Wow, I can't believe you guys still have Anejo Sharks and torps in stock this late in the season but at those prices I guess I'm not really all that surprised." She looked at me and said "What do you mean?" Now she was asking for it so I responded with "Well at those prices you guys are marking them up over 100% of their retail price." To which she responded with "Well, that's our prices and people pay it." I just looked at her and said "Oh." With that she gave me my change and said "Take Care." This stores prices for most(not all) of their sticks tend to be a little high but the part of town it's in supports it but I thought that was just outrageous. That cr@p pisses me off. When I went back to NY for Christmas one shop had Sharks for $19 and that's with NYS tobacco tax which is high to begin with but $30 a stick! It was just fun to see her demeanor change with the conversation but I guess since they had a good amount of customers there she just wanted me out which I can't blame her. I am friendlier with one of the other guys that work there and we get along well so I'll have to bust his chops when no one is around next time I am there which isn't too often. Just thought I would share plus it astounded me since the shop I was at earlier in the afternoon has great pricing and has prices comparable to some online retailers and a much better selection of smokes to boot.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
RightAJ
Here Franky Franky

First Name: aj
Trading: (3)
RA
RightAJ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wanted to Throw up :pu

I have run into places like that before... Once I see outragous prices I just walk out. If they're screwing customers like that than they must not be B/SOTL and I don't need to deal with them!

I've also heard of places charging a membership fee to see the 'private' humi with the Opus', Padrons, VSGs, etc.

aj
Old 02-16-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

this is America, that's proof that rape is legal.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
this is America, that's proof that rape is legal.
Sorry Bobby, but that is just an ignorant statement. A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

There are several factors that may be involved other than greed. High overhead or they may not be a Fuente dealer therefore paid more on the secondary market.

Challenging a shopkeeper regarding pricing is always unwise, just walk and move on to another shop.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

^^^ hence why i said "this is america".. they can do whatever they want... but, in my opinion, thats a "screwing".
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Sad part is, they are a Fuente dealer and do get their product from Fuente. If they didn't I prob wouldn't have questioned the mark up as much. Surprisingly enough they are on par with their Liga Privada pricing and that has been the key factor in what has brought me back the last few times even though every single time I leave I always say I'll never shop their again. Sadly, they are the only local Liga dealer and they have had Flying Pigs in stock the last few times I have gone there. Most of everything else can be had at other shops cheaper, but the area it's in supports their pricing which on average is about $2 more than everyone else which isn't too obnoxious. Normally I do not question a shops pricing and just move on like you mentioned Bobarian but for some reason this just struck a nerve with me today. It may be the fact that the prices were just so blatantly over priced. Ahh well, it is what it is and until I nut up for a box purchase of Ligas online I'll probably be back.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
jaydub13
aka Little Pickle

First Name: Jason
Trading: (5)
Partagas
jaydub13 is on a distinguished road

That is incredible... BUT, prices like those arent all that uncommon... The B&M I was at yesterday was asking $25 for a La Aurora 100 Anos. I just shook my head and grabbed something else.

Oh, and I have seen as high as $34.95 each for Anejo Sharks online...
jaydub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Namerifrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

Challenging a shopkeeper regarding pricing is always unwise, just walk and move on to another shop.
+1 Nothing wrong with charging more than they are worth. Nobody is forced to pay it, but somewhere there is somebody that will and the shop know that. It's called supply and demand. Not gouging since cigars are not a necessity, but a luxury. I see high prices, I just move on and don't say a thing to them. I want cheaper deals, I buy online. No need for people to get worked up because somebody is trying to make money. If it's priced too high, walk away.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about

I agree with the statements of Bob, Jason & David. We live in a free market society. If you don't like the prices at one establishment, move on to another.
I'm not trying to bust balls here, but what did you think you would accomplish by telling them "Well at those prices you guys are marking them up over 100% of their retail price." I just don't think that would really be anyones business but the store owners. Maybe it would have been better just to mention that you wanted to buy some, but they were a little out of your price line. I've had store owners lower their prices for me with just a kind word and good attitude. Just my
Old 02-16-2010, 10:18 PM   #10
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

de de de de de no. I'm just staying out of this one
Hi from you friendly neighborhood shop jocky
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Hell, I think msrp is way to expensive for those things.

Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #12
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough

Those prices seem about right for what they go for here in the Bay Area.
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shield View Post
Those prices seem about right for what they go for here in the Bay Area.
Yeah that's what they fetch up here too!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 AM   #14
bi11fish
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
bi11fish is on a distinguished road

"There is a sucker born every minute" ---Has anyone paid any attention to the prices that people are willing to pay on the Devil Site.
bi11fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 AM   #15
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

And the sad part is that people WILL buy them.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Limited supply + high demand = higher prices. Seems logical for them to charge more than suggested retail if the demand is there and the supply is not. It sounds like the shop keep might have them a little high though, based solely on the fact that they are still in stock.

At least you knew enough not to buy them at that price.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #17
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
....This stores prices for most(not all) of their sticks tend to be a little high but the part of town it's in supports it but I thought that was just outrageous. That cr@p pisses me off. When I went back to NY for Christmas one shop had Sharks for $19 and that's with NYS tobacco tax which is high to begin with but $30 a stick! It was just fun to see her demeanor change with the conversation but I guess since they had a good amount of customers there she just wanted me out which I can't blame her. I am friendlier with one of the other guys that work there and we get along well so I'll have to bust his chops when no one is around next time I am there which isn't too often. Just thought I would share plus it astounded me since the shop I was at earlier in the afternoon has great pricing and has prices comparable to some online retailers and a much better selection of smokes to boot.
Hopefully your thread here doesn't say much about you really are and the BOTLs you are representing. Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. If the store is charging those prices and getting them then why in the world would they charge less? They are there to make money. Unless they had some Red Cross painted on the front door indicating they are a charity and were giving them away I wouldn't expect any less from them.

I had the same conversation with a friend concerning the cost of NASCAR tickets. I told him the stands are full so the tickets muct not be too high. We teh customer control pricing, vote with your $$$, it works. Being an a$$ just makes it harder when the next BOTL walks in after you. My and worth about that much.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 AM   #18
skibumdc
That's what she said

First Name: Balco
Trading: (8)
PL
skibumdc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by s15driftking View Post
^^^ hence why i said "this is america".. they can do whatever they want... but, in my opinion, thats a "screwing".
You prefer an overly regulated gov't controlled system?
Fell free to move to another country ,(kidding of course)
...or just wait around long enough for the US to unfortunately drift in that direction.

Edit: Sorry I won't inject too much politics into this thread.

I simpy think a shop-owner can do as they please, within the laws. It's our JOB as consumers to choose who we purchase from and to make sure we pay what we want for a product
Old 02-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #19
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Sorry Bobby, but that is just an ignorant statement. A store owner has the right to charge whatever they want for their product. As consumers it is our right to not shop at that establishment.

There are several factors that may be involved other than greed. High overhead or they may not be a Fuente dealer therefore paid more on the secondary market.

Nothing else I can add.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #20
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Hopefully your thread here doesn't say much about you really are and the BOTLs you are representing. Every business has the right to charge for even the air your breathing in their store. On the other hand, you have the option to take your business elswhere where you feel your getting the value for your money that you expect. If the store is charging those prices and getting them then why in the world would they charge less? They are there to make money. Unless they had some Red Cross painted on the front door indicating they are a charity and were giving them away I wouldn't expect any less from them.

I had the same conversation with a friend concerning the cost of NASCAR tickets. I told him the stands are full so the tickets muct not be too high. We teh customer control pricing, vote with your $$$, it works. Being an a$$ just makes it harder when the next BOTL walks in after you. My and worth about that much.
Your right, I probably should not have said anything and normally I wouldn't have but I guess when I saw the extreme prices of these it just struck a nerve that has long been annoyed with this store for a while so I had to poke a little bit. Obviously most of there other customers feel the same way about their Anejo prices which is why they still have Sharks and torps left in February. I'm sure someone who doesn't know any better will jump for joy when they find them. It's not like I have never bitten my tongue there before. I've bitten my tongue in the past when I have gone there and heard the same spiel from two different employees about their separate humidor with Gurkhas that only they can get with price points of $50 a stick for the Habano wrapped stick and $100 a stick for the Maduro. Both times I let them try and sell me on these ultra rare super premium Gurkhas without saying a word other than, No thanks not a fan of the Gurkha brand and than even sat through their rant on how great Gurkhas are and that I should give them another chance. I agree I prob should not have said anything but I did and figured I would share the story with you guys and yes normally they wouldn't get my business but their Liga Privada account is what brings me back since they are the only ones locally who carry them. I am not a complete idiot, I know that I am douche sometimes My wife makes sure to remind me from time to time.