Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #41
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Robert
Trading: (1)
RA
cle_smoker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ATT U-verse

Would anyone with Uverse care to chime in now with how your service and experience has been? A rep was going door to door last week selling people on it. They recently upgraded the lines in my area and are now offering it. I bit on the 30 day free trial just to see if it is worth it. I'm not particularly happy with my current cable company and had been debating on going to dish. Thanks.
cle_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #42
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

We have been using it for a few months now and really like it for internet and TV. Nice options for channels (although no Palladia w/ basic HD channels which sucks) And the internet hasn't given any problems either
Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM   #43
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Thanks for the reply Jim. I hope it is as good as advertised. I'll update this with my experience.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM   #44
BengalMan
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ian
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
BengalMan will become famous soon enoughBengalMan will become famous soon enough

I only wish U-Verse or FIOS was offered in my area. Until then, I'm stuck with garbage Time Warner Cable
BengalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #45
cle_smoker
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Well I got U-verse installed today and it is incredible. Based on what I was paying versus now there is nothing out there that can beat it. Great picture, great features, great price. Obviously this is based on just a few hours but I am loving it so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2009, 01:00 AM   #46
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

First Name: Scott
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough

I work for AT&T so keep that in mind with this post...

I think it's amazing! You don't share bandwidth like you do with Comcast, no throttling on the internet, tv quality is really good (compression rates are much better, especially with HD) and having one DVR for all your rooms is pretty impressive. Make sure in your area they are supporting the new Sysco boxes, as the Motorola ones have had a few problems. Also, not all markets let you set recordings from all rooms, so see if yours does.

If internet is your thing, they just released a 24mbps option. It's crazy expensive, but remember that it is dedicated. 24mbps = 3mBps. It's insane. To put it in perspective: 1 mp3 = 1 second. One HD movie = 5 minutes.

Don't, whatever you do, get Uverse Voice. Don't get me wrong: it's a fine product, but you can get the stability of a regular phone line with unlimited calling for the same $30 if you have TV and Internet. Plus, porting your number to VoIP is a pain. Ask for the "All Distance Package", you won't regret it.

Professional window licker on the short bus.
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM   #47
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Well Time Warner has pissed me off for the last time. Absolutely horrible service and customer support. I would rather have nothing than give those aholes another dime. Ok enough ranting.

Question on uverse...are there any caps / downloading limits? Do they require contracts? Is there any haggling room by calling sales and telling them I am considering a switch from Time Warner?
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:57 PM   #48
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

I like U-Verse after nearly a year now but it does have some flaws, as all systems do.
Overall, the picture quality is amazing compared to cable.
I just went nuts and reduced my package.
I had the 450 but went up to $135.00 month for total bill.
Reduced it to the 200 package for now to see if I miss the channels yielding a $35 plus tax savings per month.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #49
BFallehy
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
BFallehy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
I work for AT&T so keep that in mind with this post...
Somehow when I saw the title of this I knew you were going to chime in Scott.

I will say that I realy like Uverse, it is pretty good but with like anything just don't get your hopes up about anything special. If you start thinking it is going to be so much better than what you have now you will just be disapointed. I think it is a pretty good product but as with any cable company it is way overpriced, now they are all overpriced so it doesn't realy matter that much.
I did recently turn down the speed of the internet and honestly haven't seen much of an issue with it and it saved me about 25 buchs to do it.
The best thing is the multiple DVR's, if you are like me and have a GF or wife at home who just has to record a bunch of garbage you would rather stab yourself than watch, getting the extra dvr for the bedroom is a must. Trust me when I say that it is worth $10 bucks a month to avoid watching another reality/make over/style/bridal/how to castrate your man show.
BFallehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #50
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFallehy View Post
The best thing is the multiple DVR's, if you are like me and have a GF or wife at home who just has to record a bunch of garbage you would rather stab yourself than watch, getting the extra dvr for the bedroom is a must. Trust me when I say that it is worth $10 bucks a month to avoid watching another reality/make over/style/bridal/how to castrate your man show.

Well I pulled the trigger. No contracts...no download limits. I talked to online chat and they gave me an extra $100 on top of the $250 money back already offered. F U Time Warner!
Old 09-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #51
catfish2

Your tivo will instantly be useless.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #52
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

since I don't have one I'm not too worried
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2009, 03:53 PM   #53
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

I'm looking at switching to Uverse but I was just told by a CSR:

Quote:
Simultaneously playback up to 4 recorded programs (1HD & 3SD) to any AT&T U-Verse supported room you choose, playback and control multiple instances of the same program on different receivers, pause a recorded program on the Total Home DVR and pick up at same point or start over in another room, program your Total Home Total Home DVR from anywhere you have access to your U-Verse High-Speed Internet.
Basically if I'm watching HD channel in the living room I can't watch/record HD is another. Does this sound right?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #54
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

Bolivar

I only have 1 TV but I know that I can record / watch only 2HD shows at once...I would guess that holds true when pushing data out to other TVs. I think they say it that way just to push the '4 recorded programs at once' idea. Then again I may be completely wrong
Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #55
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Previously it was only one HD and 3 SD at one time but it did go to 2 HD and 2 SD at the same time last year at least in KC.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #56
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish2 View Post
Your tivo will instantly be useless.
TiVo isn't totally worthless you just have to jump through a few hoops including ir remote and and only on channel at a time on tivo ... one more thing you have to make TIVO change the channel once every 4 hours ... of course I am assuming it is the series 2 tivo and not the HD tivo, HD tivo and uverse = fail
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #57
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

Have found their sports package is complete crap if you want to watch hockey. All you get extra is the NHL Network channel. You get all the fox sports channels that are showing the game, but they are all blocked out. So I guess you have to decide if one extra channel a month for games (and maybe a few of the fox games a month actual get televised for me) is worth $10 a month
Old 10-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #58
BORIStheBLADE
_

First Name: Mike
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
BORIStheBLADE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
I only have 1 TV but I know that I can record / watch only 2HD shows at once...I would guess that holds true when pushing data out to other TVs. I think they say it that way just to push the '4 recorded programs at once' idea. Then again I may be completely wrong
I have had Uverse for a while and if you have SD its 4 at once whether your watching and or recording too. If its HD its 2 watching and or recording.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:50 AM   #59
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I got hooked up this week. It took a little while to get use to it, but I think I am going to like it. Their customer service has been great. So that is always good. Im saving $30 a month by switching from Cox, and the service and features are better.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #60
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottastic View Post
If internet is your thing, they just released a 24mbps option. It's crazy expensive, but remember that it is dedicated. 24mbps = 3mBps. It's insane. To put it in perspective: 1 mp3 = 1 second. One HD movie = 5 minutes.
AT&T/Bellsouth can't get DSL out to my area but they are offereing this.... only reason i hate living in rural area.

Poe on here got the AT&T U-Verse and really likes it from what I understand. I've used his Internet a bit, and its pretty wicked.
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote