Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 05-09-2009, 06:27 AM   #281
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: The Wine Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRiddick View Post
Try buying a few different bottles of JJ Prum or Dr. Loosen, I am almost sure you may find them at least as good as what you have tasted in Germany and probably better. They are the two producers you can bet money on, year in and year out, and the wines are outstanding in every respect, they age incredibly well to boot.
Those two are among the best producers. More important is to know what style of Riesling you like; there's a big difference in spectrum.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #282
mrreindeer

Quote:
Orin Swift is in every decent wine store you care to name. How many pallets do you need?
No kiddin? Who knew! I need a lot...

I just can't afford any more!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #283
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

First Name: Eric
Trading: (29)
PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Ok, The wife found a wine that she absolutely loves...CakeBread cabernet sauvignon...only problem is it is $90 a bottle...I bought her a bottle of the Cakebread Pinot Nior for $75 for mothers day but holy hell! Is there another manufacture that is comparable and a little more reasonable?
e-man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #284
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
Ok, The wife found a wine that she absolutely loves...CakeBread cabernet sauvignon...only problem is it is $90 a bottle...I bought her a bottle of the Cakebread Pinot Nior for $75 for mothers day but holy hell! Is there another manufacture that is comparable and a little more reasonable?
CakeBread is good stuff. It's the price I don't like. Their wine club has bottles at a lower price point, but they get you with the annual cost.

http://www.cakebread.com/clubs/

I'm a fan of Chimney Rock....I can usually find the cab for around $40/bottle.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #285
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-man67 View Post
I have never tried CakeBread Wine, so I cannot make a comparison, however the name immediately brought to attention another wine that makes a wonderful Cab &, Shiraz. I have not tried their Pinot Noir or any of their white wines yet, but I expect that they will be very good as well. I am referring to "LayerCake". They have a wonderful 2007 Cab that you should let you wife try. It sells in the area of $25 a bottle!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #286
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
If you are that hot on this wine, just buy a case and have it shipped. I would suggest doing this after October. There's some big internet wine stores based out of Germany.
Quote:
Ryan,

As Moses already pointed out there is another option. You need to call Adventures in Wine, they are based here in Bay Area and specialize in importing private purchases. All you have to do is order direct from the German producer, Adventures in Wine will then handle importing paperwork for customs and such. Have no idea if it is worth the effort, money wise, but something you can take a look at.

Try buying a few different bottles of JJ Prum or Dr. Loosen, I am almost sure you may find them at least as good as what you have tasted in Germany and probably better. They are the two producers you can bet money on, year in and year out, and the wines are outstanding in every respect, they age incredibly well to boot.

Do you recall flavor profile of the wine you liked? How much sugar was in it? Or rather, how mcuh did your palate detect?
Thanks for the tips.

The one thing I remember the most about it was how smooth it was to drink.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #287
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL
e-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura aboute-man67 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
I have never tried CakeBread Wine, so I cannot make a comparison, however the name immediately brought to attention another wine that makes a wonderful Cab &, Shiraz. I have not tried their Pinot Noir or any of their white wines yet, but I expect that they will be very good as well. I am referring to "LayerCake". They have a wonderful 2007 Cab that you should let you wife try. It sells in the area of $25 a bottle!
Thanks for the input!
Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #288
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Ryan,

I am almost sure that if you try one of the two labels, or both, You WILL fall in love. As Moses has pointed out, German Rieslings are made with some sugar to a lot of sugar, although with age all that sugar integrates. Also try Leitz, they are more affordable. But between JJ Prum ( don't confuse with his relative MA Prum) and Dr. Loosen you can't find a bad wine even if you try.
E-Man,

At $75 for Pinot you have a TON of choices and I can guarantee you will enjoy them much more than that Cakebread. Until Sideways hit the screens, Napa guys looked down at Pinot and didn't consider it wine and I am being serious. They all jumped on the wagon since the movie came out and all I can tell you is that making Pinot and Cab are two completely different processes in all respects. I would know. And it takes a while to learn how to make great Pinot, not just the past 3-4 years when it became "fashionable".

Try Pinots by Loring, Siduri, August West, AP Vin, just off the top of my head, there are many more. All in the $40-50 range and way better than Cakebread. If you feel like spending more, Pisoni is the one to try, in the $60s, but worth every penny IMO.

For a better priced and actually better Cab, IMO, try finding a bottle of Paradigm, should be under $50. Little known, still, but every bit as good as most of the big boys. I think you can order online, although give them a call and see if they are distributed in your state. Another one to try is Meander, a really good wine.

There are just a few high priced Cabs I buy these days, Maybach is one and Pride is another. The rest charge for the "name recognition" for the most part.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #289
e-man67
Big Drunkin Monkey!!

PL

Thanks so much for the input! I will definately give those a try and report back!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #290
BC-Axeman

Too bad cabs had fallen out of popularity. Some of the best wines I have ever tasted have been cabs or cab blends. We have a local family winery called Burrell School that has some old cab sauv vineyards and they are consistent with their cabs. I like getting to know the grapes, the harvest, the winemakers and the varietals of the local wineries. If only I kept notes.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #291
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
Too bad cabs had fallen out of popularity. Some of the best wines I have ever tasted have been cabs or cab blends.
When did this happen? That is news to me.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #292
BC-Axeman

Quote:
When did this happen? That is news to me.
Right before the Merlot craze (early 80s?), before the Pitite Syrah craze, before the Pinot craze. When will we get back to Zinfandel? What are we on right now? (I'm talking about mass popularity). I don't pay much attention anymore.
Anyone remember the "Pink Zinfandel" craze?
Maybe it's time for Sherry to come back around.
Honestly, the PN wave passed right under me and I barely noticed. I never saw "Sideways". I don't quite understand the reference, except that Pinot Noir must have been a major part of the plot. David Bruce winery is just up the road from me so I have been drinking lots of good Pinot for a long time.

Cheers *clink*!
Old 05-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #293
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Well I'll be on the front of the line leading the Zinfandel popularity charge. I've been enjoying those for a couple of years now. I didn't know there was a craze in the past. And if I'm not drinking a Zin, I usually gravitate towards a cabernet. I've never gotten into Pinots. I've found them too light bodied, though to be fair I haven't had a lot of them because the ones I have had have not impressed me.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #294
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Pinot Noir is from Burgundy, period! Lot's of places try and some come close, but Burgundy is Burgundy!
Old 05-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #295
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Pinot Noir is from Burgundy, period! Lot's of places try and some come close, but Burgundy is Burgundy!
Burgundy is from Burgundy. Pinot Noir is a plant that grows where it will.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #296
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

Punch

Quote:
Burgundy is from Burgundy. Pinot Noir is a plant that grows where it will.
Yes, pinot noir may grow anywhere, even indoors, but that does not mean it's worth anything. Burgundy is the only place that can make Pinot worth drinking and usually at a king's ransom at that.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:53 AM   #297
mrreindeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I'm a fan of Chimney Rock....I can usually find the cab for around $40/bottle.
Good stuff Mike!

Quote:
Right before the Merlot craze (early 80s?), before the Pitite Syrah craze, before the Pinot craze. When will we get back to Zinfandel? What are we on right now? (I'm talking about mass popularity). I don't pay much attention anymore.
Anyone remember the "Pink Zinfandel" craze?
Maybe it's time for Sherry to come back around.
Honestly, the PN wave passed right under me and I barely noticed. I never saw "Sideways". I don't quite understand the reference, except that Pinot Noir must have been a major part of the plot. David Bruce winery is just up the road from me so I have been drinking lots of good Pinot for a long time.

Cheers *clink*!
I think we're in Syrah-land right now, or at least I am. I've really enjoyed being in Cab-land, Zin-land & Pinot-land, but I really haven't spent a lot of time in Syrah-land or Petite-Syrah-land and I think I should.

I just bought a bottle of Syrah called 'Sequel' and it was pretty good. Still, I really prefer full, jammy, long finish, smooth reds and I think Syrah & PS are considerably lighter.

As for Zin's, which I love, a decent priced & good Zin is Ridge Vineyard's Lytton Springs. You can usually find it anywhere and on most restaurant's wine lists and even at restaurants, I haven't seen it higher than $60 which ain't bad for a good, nice wine while out to dinner.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #298
mrreindeer

Oh, oh, and you should really watch Sideways. It wasn't GREAT but it was a nice little movie in our beautiful & wonderful Santa Barbara Wine Country.

And we just watched BOTTLESHOCK not too long ago.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT movie about how California wines (which truly are amazing, I disagree with you completely there, Moses; we produce some incredible Pinot's) got on the world map back in the mid-'70's and beat out French wines in their wine competition.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 PM   #299
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreindeer View Post
Oh, oh, and you should really watch Sideways. It wasn't GREAT but it was a nice little movie in our beautiful & wonderful Santa Barbara Wine Country.

And we just watched BOTTLESHOCK not too long ago.

GREAT, GREAT, GREAT movie about how California wines (which truly are amazing, I disagree with you completely there, Moses; we produce some incredible Pinot's) got on the world map back in the mid-'70's and beat out French wines in their wine competition.
Great flicks Dave! I love to enjoy them while drinking vino.

My last trip to SB was great. Hit a lot of great wineries and had dinner at the Ballard Inn among other places. I enjoyed the Highliner at Hitching Post, but was not impressed with the food. We even unintentionally had lunch and wine at one of the other places featured in the Sideways (the place where they went on the double date --- Los Olivos Cafe?), but the place was rearranged for the movie. Great food and enjoyed a nice pinot. Gotta like SB wine country.

Last edited by ucla695; 05-14-2009 at 07:11 PM.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #300
BC-Axeman

I'll have to do a SB trip sometime. Did Paso Robles and Napa last year with a couple of little trips to other places too.