Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 09-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road
Default Just got my 1st wineador!

I am going to build shelves out of spanish cedar (with the help of my R/M) and I have looked over TONS of pics on google of varying types of shevles.
I just wanted some feedback on what I could do with that much space, I am open to about anything really.

So far this is what I think I will do (not set in stone at all). That top gap will be fans and where I put my Kitty Litter, I will build a custom housing to hold the litter. There is a light already up there too.

Next I was thinking about every 2-3 notches making a new shelf. I don't know how many cigars I should stack on each other and I don't want to waste space.

The back wall will have some fans as well. The very bottom will be left for boxes only. I may build a pull out box as well down there, but it will still be for boxes.

As for the door, I was thinking about lining the inside frame with LED's to just make it look neat when I want it to.

I want the faces of my drawer (some of them, no less than 3) to have a small cut out in them to custom fit my hygrometers (that I still don't have any yet lol).

Now that's just a bunch of ideas I have thus far! I would love feedback from the more experienced crowd (as I have none!) to tell me things I may have missed or just about how much sauce I have on my face b/c my ideas were dumb :P

Last thing, before I buy all these supplies (which I assume wont be super cheap) I was going to buy or build "cheaper" shelves at 1st and wait 1-2 months before I dive head first into the spanish cedar stuff, just so I can make sure everything is good with my new wineador.

Also should note that it is a compressor model and not thermoelectric but I can't be super awesome just yet, I do know to watch out for massive RH drops ***if*** I keep it plugged in.

I found it on craigslist for 125$, I think I got a good deal, what do you all think?

edit: I am also in search of some "fluff" to fill this up. 2-5 dollar cigars, what is a good way of going about this? I just learned of cbid and have made some transactions but on my disability the money goes fast. So I would like to fill it up with more everyday stuff. I still have very limited experience with cigars but what I have found that I like is things with a nutty, cocoa, smooth flavors. Does not have to be all 3 at once and I am up for trying anything too!
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #2
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Just got my 1st wineador!

Looks like it's going to be great. One of my favorite "cheap" sticks are Fuente Curly Heads.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

It will fill up, trust me. I wouldn't buy indiscriminately - there is plenty of time to fill that baby. Soon you'll be looking for a second!

I would put a few shelves in for boxes and 2/3 drawers for loose sticks and fivers.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
It will fill up, trust me. I wouldn't buy indiscriminately - there is plenty of time to fill that baby. Soon you'll be looking for a second!

I would put a few shelves in for boxes and 2/3 drawers for loose sticks and fivers.

Oh I did not mean just get w/e. I would like to try tons but often (as I have no clue what I am doing) I buy more expensive sticks (not b/c of price, just those are the names I hear w/ good things so I gravitate towards them).

I did not think to focus on boxes so much. Is that something normal? I have never bought a box and just had it sit there haha. I have seen plenty of people do it, I just end up smoking what I have as I cant (yet!) amass a big collection, thus me wanting to see some good quality every day smokes so I can not open boxes. But back to the point, yeah I did not think to focus on more box space, I was just going to let the very very bottom be for that, but looking at it now, that would give me like 400-800 for loose sticks and that does seem excessive.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:46 AM   #5
stevef2005
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (4)
AirForce (Served With Honor)
stevef2005 will become famous soon enough

For cheaper smokes you can always try this thread for some ideas. If you have not given the Famous Nic 5000 a shot I would def give it a shot. The Curly Heads are also another viable option if you like the smaller RG cigars. I would give that thread a good looking over though and always look for good deals on CB.
stevef2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Looks like a compressor cooled unit. If so, there are some extra things that you might want to consider doing to prevent it from dehydrating your cigars. See post #6 from GoatLocker here:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15636

I'd also recommend ditching the kitty litter and getting HCM beads from CigarNut, they are much more stable and much faster to react to changes than KL.

Aside from that, nutcracker brings up some good points.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:54 AM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevef2005 View Post
For cheaper smokes you can always try this thread for some ideas. If you have not given the Famous Nic 5000 a shot I would def give it a shot. The Curly Heads are also another viable option if you like the smaller RG cigars. I would give that thread a good looking over though and always look for good deals on CB.
I second that. There are a lot of good recommendations in there for tasty sticks on a budget.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

I see a lot of space and I don't see this ending well.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMamba View Post
I see a lot of space and I don't see this ending well.

It's going to take a long time to fill that puppy up!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough

Dude, that's a nice grab. Especially at that price.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post
It's going to take a long time to fill that puppy up!
Not as long as you would think. Looks great.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Here View Post
Dude, that's a nice grab. Especially at that price.

I was very happy with the price when I looked up how much the unit is normal, everything seems to be in working order, I just need to toss in the temp shelves and get some hygrometers ordered.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'd also recommend ditching the kitty litter and getting HCM beads from CigarNut, they are much more stable and much faster to react to changes than KL..

At the moment I will have to buy those HCM Beads slowly as the price is a bit up there for how much my unit would need (around 80 ounces). But I will integrate them, they sound wonderful.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #14
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If you are planning to purchase HCM beads any time soon and you can wait a few weeks then you should wait until the 23rd of September to place your order -- HCM beads will be going on sale -- all bead products will be 10%.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
If you are planning to purchase HCM beads any time soon and you can wait a few weeks then you should wait until the 23rd of September to place your order -- HCM beads will be going on sale -- all bead products will be 10%.

Speak of the beads and summon the man himself! I sure can wait, that would be great. If I am not out of line, may I ask how long they will be on sale?
Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #16
badbriar

Nice size cooler - read what Adam suggested about compressor units.
Check out the WTS posts and see if there are some good volume sales. There was a recent post that had 30 sticks for 75 greenbacks. Supposed to be pretty good cigars there. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2014, 06:02 PM   #17
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post
At the moment I will have to buy those HCM Beads slowly as the price is a bit up there for how much my unit would need (around 80 ounces). But I will integrate them, they sound wonderful.
Are you sure on the amount you'll need? I had ~2.5-3lbs in my old cabinet that was a lot larger in size, and it kept perfect humidity.
Old 09-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #18
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Are you sure on the amount you'll need? I had ~2.5-3lbs in my old cabinet that was a lot larger in size, and it kept perfect humidity.
Maybe I did the math wrong. I have about 5.4 cubic feet of space, it said to get double. I am sure I messed something up.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #19
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Focus on beads and cigars. Shelves and drawers are nice but not a necessity. Pick up some empty boxes for singles or bundles you buy. Trust in the beads and you won't even need a hygrometer.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #20
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road

[quote=Byaah;1985014]Oh I did not mean just get w/e. I would like to try tons but often (as I have no clue what I am doing) I buy more expensive sticks (not b/c of price, just those are the names I hear w/ good things so I gravitate towards them).

I did not think to focus on boxes so much. Is that something normal? I have never bought a box and just had it sit there haha. [quote]

once you get enough sticks to keep you busy, you may want to age some
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote