Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation
Default Re: I'm going to Disneyworld!

Thanks for all the info so far. My daughter will just be a few months shy of 4 when we go, so we are only going to be hitting Magic Kingdom on this trip. So a park-hopper pass wouldn't be good...I guess?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
CigarGuy88
Good Cigar = Good Day

First Name: Steve
Trading: (38)
LGC
CigarGuy88 will become famous soon enoughCigarGuy88 will become famous soon enough

Patrick how long do you plan on staying?
CigarGuy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #23
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. My daughter will just be a few months shy of 4 when we go, so we are only going to be hitting Magic Kingdom on this trip. So a park-hopper pass wouldn't be good...I guess?
Magic Kingdom really isn't that big of a park. You could cover the whole park with a LOT of extras built in and plenty of downtime in 2 full days. I'd recommend exploring Hollywood Studios as well for a kid that age. Toy Story Mania, Fantasmic, Playhouse Disney, and The Little Mermaid are great attractions for your daughter.

One other thing-go here for the list of closed attractions while you're there: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/rehab.htm

If you have a 4th day, hit up Animal Kingdom. It's the smallest, but the safari, Festival of the Lion King and Finding Nemo shows, parade, and Flights of Wonder, and other animal exhibits provide for another good day for entertainment at that age.

Epcot will have the least amount of stuff to enjoy for a child that age.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #24
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

If you're just spending one day, Magic Kingdom is the standard. My kids enjoyed Animal Kingdom even better, and all the rest they simply tolerated. They're not very theme-park oriented. They like amusement parks a lot more because they like to go fast. There's not a lot of rides at Disney, there are lots of experiences at Disney.
Just go slow and chase your daughter. She'll tell you what she wants to see.

On the park hopper pass...
If you hit up the girl in front of Unimart or at the stands, etc., they'll sell you park hopper passes that just have a day of Magic Kingdom left on them. The passes are just like store debit cards. They load them with x amount of days at x amount of parks. As they get used up, they just show what's left. You shouldn't have any trouble getting Park Hopper passes for just Magic Kingdom. You may have to use them and drop them back to whoever you get them from because there will be other passes still on the cards, that's happened to me before. I just used what we used, stopped back, gave the girl the cards and paid her. I was really surprised how much trust they're willing to put out there, but it's nice.

Last edited by shilala; 01-12-2012 at 08:34 AM.
shilala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #25
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Maduro View Post
So this trip is more about her. I didnt read every reply but here's what I suggest. Skip any fancy hotels or resorts and stay somewhere like Disney's All-Star resorts (save your money for souvenirs). They arent fancy but how long really will you be staying in the room? The benefit of staying in a Disney resort is that they will pick you in a bus and take you right to the gate. If you drive, you will be fighting traffic as well as paying to park. Then you have to take a trolley or walk who knows how far to get to the gate. Another benefit of staying in a Disney resort is your room key will double as your park ticket, your Fast Pass, and if you want can be tied to your bank account so all you need is your room key to buy food, souvenirs, etc (they will set it all up for you at the desk when you check in). No need to take anything else or wait in line to buy your tickets. My wife and I have been to Disney at least twice a year for the last 7 years and have continued the tradition even with young kids (2.5 and 9 months). I love Disney
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #26
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

It's been awhile since I went to Disney, but I used to park in one of the lots at downtown Disney then hop on the Disney bus to go to the parks. That way I didn't have to pay for parking and didn't have to walk five miles to stand in line.
When we were done, we'd hop back on the bus, it'd take us to our car, then we'd go to dinner off-campus. The rental car let us go to Daytona and Cocoa Beach, Discovery Cove, and to lots of awesome restaurants.
What we saved on food alone paid for the car.

Speaking of food, you can get pre-paid park food passes too, Patrick. They're a super good deal if you're not going to have a car and you'll be staying at Disney. If you don't pre-buy, the food prices are incredible. I can remember paying $60 for lunch for two and that was 16 years ago. Last time we went we ate off the reservation most times, just had snacks at the park. I shudder to think what it costs to eat there now.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #27
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Patrick, thanks for starting this thread! Thanks everyone for all of this great info. I'm in the middle of planning a March Disney trip too! I found the following web site http://www.mousesavers.com/ and it has a bunch of great info and be sure sign up for their e-mail list for coupons. I'll be there from 3/8 -3/11 for a golf trip with the guys and then from 3/12 to 3/17 my family (almost 3 year old son, wife, mom, etc.) will join me to enjoy WDW. We're going to stay at a timeshare. Thanks
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
ade06
Have My Own Room

First Name: Ade
Trading: (24)
Trinidad
ade06 will become famous soon enoughade06 will become famous soon enough

Oh, I've also been looking at the local deals from www.livingsocial.com, www.groupon.com and www.travelzoo.com to find discounts on local activties and dinning options.

Last edited by ade06; 01-12-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: editing is fun
ade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #29
Boz
In Vino Veritas

First Name: William
Trading: (18)
HUpmann
Boz has a spectacular aura aboutBoz has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
It's been awhile since I went to Disney, but I used to park in one of the lots at downtown Disney then hop on the Disney bus to go to the parks. That way I didn't have to pay for parking and didn't have to walk five miles to stand in line.
When we were done, we'd hop back on the bus, it'd take us to our car, then we'd go to dinner off-campus. The rental car let us go to Daytona and Cocoa Beach, Discovery Cove, and to lots of awesome restaurants.
What we saved on food alone paid for the car.

Thats not a bad idea

Speaking of food, you can get pre-paid park food passes too, Patrick. They're a super good deal if you're not going to have a car and you'll be staying at Disney. If you don't pre-buy, the food prices are incredible. I can remember paying $60 for lunch for two and that was 16 years ago. Last time we went we ate off the reservation most times, just had snacks at the park. I shudder to think what it costs to eat there now.
I dont know that I've paid more than $35 for lunch for two, ever. Thats inside Magic Kingdom.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
I dont know that I've paid more than $35 for lunch for two, ever. Thats inside Magic Kingdom.
I'm thinking the place we stopped at might have been at Epcot, I really can't remember. It was a little shack off a walkway over the water.
I had clams and she had a broiled slab of fish and we had a couple soft drinks. It was actually a nice little restaurant, not a family snack bar type place. It may have even been near Pleasure Island? I just can't remember much except the bill.
I know sofaman took his kids last year and they got the feed passes. He told me he watched the prices and had he not done it, they'd have blown their budget on food alone because everything is still so pricey.
I'm sure it's all in what you eat, but they were just on a kid vacation.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

I haven't been in like 5 or 6 years, so I'm not sure if this is still valid, but if it is...fast pass...Fast Pass...FAST PASS. Utilize them and enjoy more rides.

Have a great trip!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #32
Black Coral
Have My Own Room

First Name: John
Trading: (11)
Cohiba
Black Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the roughBlack Coral is a jewel in the rough

You better tell Snkbyt and Myself with Ogre so we can all meet up.

Give me a pm when you know when coming.

john
Black Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #33
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

No matter what just get to EPCOT! Only park that serves beer and wine! (Back in all the countries that is).

Absolutely love EPCOT!!!!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #34
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
No matter what just get to EPCOT! Only park that serves beer and wine! (Back in all the countries that is).

Absolutely love EPCOT!!!!
I love Epcot, but it's the least interesting of all the parks to a child not even 4 years old yet.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #35
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

If you do Animal Kingdom, I think she'd like the Lion King show and A Bug's Life. Those were my favorites at that park.
I second Hollywood Studios, also.
If she can stay awake, stay for the fireworks at Magic Kingdom.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #36
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

My 2 cents. Do a park hopper. Do fast passes when you can. Parks are least busy from 4-6(people go back to hotel for dinner but come back for night parade- disney, fantasma-Hollywood studios, fireworks- Epcot and Disney.

If you want really cheap tickets do a time share tour.

As people have said:

Bring snacks and water
Get a room with fridge n stove
Disney resorts cost more, but you save on parking and transportation. If you stay off site make sure they offer free transportation.

My favorite to bring wife restaurant is Flying Fish, and people always have kids look it up.
my 2cents.

Also, walked through Sosa's, don't waste the time. If you have the time Corona.

Personally, spend every second with your daughter and when she goes to sleep have a stick on the balcony as you relive the look on her face in your mind!!! It's priceless and I will never forget taking my daughter! Corona and the cigars will always be there.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #37
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Corona at Sand Lake is a good one too

Every time we go down there, it's a must stop for me...like a supermarket of cigars. Essentially everything you could want, and the prices are MUCH cheaper than what I pay here in MN. And, honestly, I like their house blend (Nicaraguan), too.

Sosa is "meh" to me, honestly, but Erin has picked me up a few nice fresh rolleds when she went to visit her family without me.

As for Disney, well, you're going to pay through the nose for food on property, too. Haven't read all the posts in the thread, so I don't know it that's been said. Try to find some places to go eat offsite, too. I'm sure some of the locals could give you some suggestions of good places. If you want to have some booze, I'd also suggest hitting up a Total Wine there, and having it in your room.

Park hopper passes would definitely be a suggestion, too. I can't specifically spend an entire day at one park alone. There's things at each one I like to go see and do.

Have a blast!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #38
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I've been working in Orlando tourism for 20 years and am based out of a concierge desk a couple miles from Disney.

That, with my 200 plus visits to the parks, puts me in an ok position to say I've seen a lot of Disney.

Let me know if you have any specific questions I can help with.

In my opinion, any cigar places on Disney property are overpriced and not nearly as good as Corona.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #39
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

8 days away... the little one is getting super-excited. I am looking forward to the vacation (and herf) also...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #40
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Mickey's image may change after meeting Patrick.....

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote