Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about
Default Taboo Twist (Barber Pole)

Cigar: Taboo Twist (Barber Pole)
Size: 5 x 54 Robusto
Made in the Dominican for Town & Country Cigar of TX.
SRP: $5.99

Review:

This cigar was a mini bomb from our friend TripleF on our fishing trip last weekend. While fishing, I returned to my tackle box to switch worm colors and found this little guy sitting on my box. TripleF said he didn't get the liscense plate # for the guy who left it. HAHA!

Sitting on my front porch last night I smoke this very clean constructed Taboo that had an even and attractive barber pole wrapper. The Pre-Light smell was spicy and earthy which excited me and my thought was how it should be right down my flavor profile alley. However, after lighting the cigar I found ZERO spice or earthyness and was introduced to a very creamy and butter like flavor. Another note that was shocking was how mild the cigar was. After smelling the cigar's spicy foot, I was anticipating much heavier shoulders on this stick.

To the midway point the Taboo Twist was very, very mild. Honestly, not a good choice for me at the end of the day due to the full bodied smokes leading up to this cigar. It's possible some of the flavor may be washed out. The burn and ash was impressive from start to finish. I did note how clean the cigar was on the pallet. "Refreshing," was a thought that came to mind.

As I started to get into the back end of the Taboo, it did begin to pick up some steam. Meadium bodied at best. To my enjoyment, I finally started picking up some new flavor notes. Toasted peanuts would be the best description. It complimented the creamy profile that dominated earlier. Overall, the Taboo twist was a worthy smoke that I will give a spot in my smoking rotation. Though next time it will be a start to my day opposed to the finish. I was happy some kind fellow left it behind.

Overall Grade: B

Hope you enjoyed,

Jaime aka RPguy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6080477.JPG (70.6 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg P6080481.JPG (68.7 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg P6080483.JPG (72.6 KB, 447 views)
Giant & 49er Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taboo Twist (Barber Pole)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
Cigar: Taboo Twist (Barber Pole)
Size: 5 x 54 Robusto
Made in the Dominican for Town & Country Cigar of TX.
SRP: $5.99

Review:

This cigar was a mini bomb from our friend TripleF on our fishing trip last weekend. While fishing, I returned to my tackle box to switch worm colors and found this little guy sitting on my box. TripleF said he didn't get the liscense plate # for the guy who left it. HAHA!

Sitting on my front porch last night I smoke this very clean constructed Taboo that had an even and attractive barber pole wrapper. The Pre-Light smell was spicy and earthy which excited me and my thought was how it should be right down my flavor profile alley. However, after lighting the cigar I found ZERO spice or earthyness and was introduced to a very creamy and butter like flavor. Another note that was shocking was how mild the cigar was. After smelling the cigar's spicy foot, I was anticipating much heavier shoulders on this stick.

To the midway point the Taboo Twist was very, very mild. Honestly, not a good choice for me at the end of the day due to the full bodied smokes leading up to this cigar. It's possible some of the flavor may be washed out. The burn and ash was impressive from start to finish. I did note how clean the cigar was on the pallet. "Refreshing," was a thought that came to mind.

As I started to get into the back end of the Taboo, it did begin to pick up some steam. Meadium bodied at best. To my enjoyment, I finally started picking up some new flavor notes. Toasted peanuts would be the best description. It complimented the creamy profile that dominated earlier. Overall, the Taboo twist was a worthy smoke that I will give a spot in my smoking rotation. Though next time it will be a start to my day opposed to the finish. I was happy some kind fellow left it behind.

Overall Grade: B

Hope you enjoyed,

Jaime aka RPguy
I agree with your review, Jaime! Twist is probably the mildest in the Taboo line. For a real spice bomb, try the Taboo Special Forces Original, (SFO) & Special Forces Boot Camp, (BC). The SFO is the strongest in the Taboo line, I believe. Talk to Robb at www.taboocigars.com for some good advice on cigars to try. He's a fantastic guy!

Greg
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

You can't go wrong with anything made by Taboo. I like them all and will be ordering some more soon.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
akakirby
Feeling at Home

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (20)
akakirby is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review, I have been wanting to try some of the taboo sticks, may have to place an order soon.
akakirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

Great review Jamie them there twist is a great cigar.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Jaime!
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Michael
Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by akakirby View Post
Thanks for the review, I have been wanting to try some of the taboo sticks, may have to place an order soon.
Do yourself a favor...all of the Taboo line is excellent & the folks there are super.

Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

The Twist is my new go to cigar for a morning smoke. There's just enough flavor and strength to keep it interesting. The aroma is light enough that you don't stink like cigar all day from the morning smoke. That's a bonus.
Thanks for the good review.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
Azpostal
Feeling at Home

First Name: Don
Trading: (9)
Army (Served With Honor)
Azpostal is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I love the twist, I think it's the best Taboo out there.
Azpostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

The ice-creamy thing it leaves in the back of your mouth is the most pleasant part of the smoke. The flavors are subtle, but delicious.
It's a hella good cigar. A wonderful change of pace.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

These are still a favorite, man I have to pick up some more soon.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

I've smoked other vitolas of the Twist, but tonight was my first torpedo. Mine needed a few touch ups to burn straight, but they're all just darn tasty. I have to say that without exception, every Taboo cigar I've smoked has been very well made.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:59 AM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Nice Clarking Scotty!!!

Thanks for the review Jamie. You know, I havent had one of these in almost a year. Might be time to dig one out with coffee tomorrow morning.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
TripleF
11/11/11 EPIC IV

First Name: Scott
Trading: (176)
TripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to beholdTripleF is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
Nice Clarking Scotty!!!

Thanks for the review Jamie. You know, I havent had one of these in almost a year. Might be time to dig one out with coffee tomorrow morning.

Glad to give him a little smack!! Nice review Jaime!
TripleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #15
scooter

Thanks for the great review.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Nice review brother... Those are an excellent morning smoke.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #17
ZenSilk
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (8)
ZenSilk is on a distinguished road

I had the Toro last night, it was not as good as the Robusto was... I don't get it!
ZenSilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Clampdown
I Cut Like a Buffalo

First Name: Brian
Trading: (12)
RA
Clampdown will become famous soon enough

I had once and just didnt get it. I thought it was one of the worst cigars I have ever had. But nice review nonetheless.
Clampdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
lou2row

Nice review!

I've had one of the barber poles and enjoyed. Mine had burn issues where the maduro stripe of the wrapper wouldn't burn. It probably caused me to have less of the flavors you described on yours.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #20
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I tend to smoke the stronger cigars, but I have had 4 or 5 of these and have enjoyed them. Thanks for the review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote