Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #41
PenguinsFan88

Default Re: Properly Seasoning a New Humidor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan88 View Post
So is it really that easy? Lemme get this straight...after you get your new humidor home you just open it up, put a bowl of distilled water in there, close it, and leave it shut for a week?

Then a week later when you open it up, poof your all set?
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
You have to have some type of humidification device in it, preferably one that gives off and absorbs humidity, ala shilala or Heartfelt beads. With a calbrated hygrometer you keep tabs on when the humidity stabilizes at your desired level. So, "poof"? No, not exactly.
Yeah I knew that. Whatabout those humidifiers that come with humidors? Are they OK? Or are they junk like most analog hygrometers that come with humi's are?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #42
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yeah I knew that. Whatabout those humidifiers that come with humidors? Are they OK? Or are they junk like most analog hygrometers that come with humi's are?
The floral foam pucks/bricks? They're ok if you use PG solution in them, but they tend to go moldy and they're not the greatest long term. Most here prefer beads whether they be silica based like Heartfelt or HCM's like Shilila Beads. Larger humidors generally tend to do better with active humidification systems like the Set and Forget from Aristrocrat or the Avallo Accumulator. It really depends on your needs, space and budget.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #43
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

The foam humdifiers will give off moisture, but won't absorb it is your humidity is too high. In my humble opinion, they are junk. I throw them away and add beads immediately.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #44
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough

I agree unless you're using 50/50 or PG Solution as that is formulated to normalise at 70%RH. Of course I also prefer my cigars at 70% whereas I know most here prefer 65%. l used foam in my desktop for the first year or so without problems but then switched to beads because I heard they were much less maintanence (true). Now of course I use the Set & Forget that shipped with my Aristocrat and occasionally put in some HCM beads to scrub humidity if I notice it's spiking over 70 and not dropping. Typically that's never an issue but we'll see what happens this summer when the temps start to rise a little as it will be my summer with the Aristocrat and it's not a THC model. I don't really anticipate too much trouble since Vancouver generally doesn't get too hot.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #45
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
The foam humdifiers will give off moisture, but won't absorb it is your humidity is too high. In my humble opinion, they are junk. I throw them away and add beads immediately.
What's the easiest most idiot proof way to add beads? Is it one of these?

I assume with the beads jars you just open up your humidor, put the jar in and you're all good?
Old 05-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #46
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Most beads are contained in tubes or bags rather than jars. You can check the websites for more details: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/ or http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com/

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #47
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Can't see you pic, most use beads from CigarNut (shilala beads) or Heartfelt.

With the Heartfelt, select the RH you prefer, wet about 60% of the beads so they are opaque, then see if it stabilizes your humidor to where you want it. f the RH is low, wet more of the beads....if high, dry them out.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #48
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Can't see you pic, most use beads from CigarNut (shilala beads) or Heartfelt.
I had used this pic here. I know these beads are sold in Kitchener, Ontario (where I will be moving in October) at the Walper Tobacco Shop since they have a website.

Are these any good? As far as I know there are no Canadian places that sell the Heartfelt beads.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #49
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Don't know anything about those, sorry. It looks like gel (according to the label), and not humidity beads, though.

Heartfelt beads are available online at Heartfeltindustries.com, and shilala beads are available here through member CigarNut (Michael) at shilalasbeads.com

Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #50
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Don't know anything about those, sorry. It looks like gel (according to the label), and not humidity beads, though.

Heartfelt beads are available online at Heartfeltindustries.com, and shilala beads are available here through member CigarNut (Michael) at shilalasbeads.com
Here's a little video on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhWfg3rEtfM

They look idiot proof enough for me to use as a newb, but I just dunno how well and reliably they'd work as they aren't a big name brand.

Do Heartfelt ship to Canada?

*Sigh* If only I could easily find the good quality accessories here in Canada so I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for shipping and all that crap.

The lack of and the expensiveness of accessories here in Canada is really dampering my "purchasing my 1st humidor experience" lol. If I could find the good stuff here, I'd buy it, and my 1st humidor in an instant lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #51
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

You can get beads (Heartfelt or HCM) shipped to Canada.

The gel in your picture is just OK -- it does not do a great job of regulating RH. It is designed to release moisture slowly and does not absorb the way that beads do.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #52
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Michael is being diplomatic because he is a gentleman like that. I will say that the gel is a bad idea.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You can get beads (Heartfelt or HCM) shipped to Canada.
Yeah I looked. But how are they in terms of shipping charges??? Do they tack on ridiculous duties and stuff too?
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #54
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Yeah I looked. But how are they in terms of shipping charges??? Do they tack on ridiculous duties and stuff too?
The vendors don't tack on duties. Governments do.
Posted via Mobile Device
pnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
PenguinsFan88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
The vendors don't tack on duties. Governments do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very true.

*Ponders what to do*
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #56
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

I use USPS to ship to Canada. A small box (holds a little over a pound) costs about $16 to ship to Canada. The next size box costs about $32 (holds about 10lbs).

Old 05-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #57
PenguinsFan88

So if I buy the Heartfelt beads or the shilalas beads would I just open up my humi and place them in my humidor as soon as I get them in the mail and that's it? Or do I season the humidor first?

I don't have anything yet and will presumably be ordering my humi from one place and the Heartfelt beads from their website. I'm just a little intimidatied and confused as to what all to be done first or when etc.

I apologize again for if I sound really basic and slow when it comes to this stuff lol. See I'm used to just going into a cigar shop, buying a single stick and smoking it a few minutes later. The fact that so many websites or people suggest so many different seasoning methods (and try to argue about other ones) doesn't help.

*Rolls eyes*

Anywho as for a hygrometer I was thinking of doing with this one if I can get the B&M in Kitchener to order it for me:

http://www.xikar.com/popup_pix.asp?b...l%20Hygrometer
Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #58
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

RA

No matter what you buy for humidification you need to season your humidor (unless you go with Tupperware or a cooler neither of which need to be seasoned). Beads would be put in your humidor after it has seasoned.

Not sure why you want your B&M to order for you; you can order hygrometers directly from many sites including Xikar, HCM or Heartfelt.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #59
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
So if I buy the Heartfelt beads or the shilalas beads would I just open up my humi and place them in my humidor as soon as I get them in the mail and that's it? Or do I season the humidor first?
Didn't I try and answer this for you in another thread?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #60
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

I recently switched to the HCM beads and have had no problems with my desk top humidors. before that struggled with all the other bars, pucks, foam, etc...

as for seasoning a new humidor this site has many great threads that can wlak you through it. or as with my local B&M, they will season it for you even if you did not purchase it from them. Check your local if you do not want to do this your self.

My first two desk tops The local B&M seasoned for me but, after that i read the forums and did the others my self. its not difficult.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote