Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #21
CasaDooley
Herf Crew of 2

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (41)
HUpmann Navy (Disabled Vet)
CasaDooley has a spectacular aura aboutCasaDooley has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Probably going under the knife again

Good karma sent your way Rick!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #22
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

Good luck bro, will keep you in prayer!!!
Old 01-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #23
Krish the Fish
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Krishna
Trading: (2)
Trinidad
Krish the Fish is on a distinguished road

Best of luck, Rick.... and here's to a speedy recovery (and hopefully no more follow-up surgery).
Krish the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #24
Bunker
New hardware installed.

First Name: Rick
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Bunker will become famous soon enoughBunker will become famous soon enough

I know this is bordering on TMI, but if you have ever wondered what your spine should NOT look like....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MRI2.jpg (41.4 KB, 168 views)
Old 01-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Best of luck for a speady recovery with very little pain.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:44 AM   #26
BlackDog
Gonna make you groove...

First Name: Warren
Trading: (19)
BlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the roughBlackDog is a jewel in the rough

Yikes, that's pretty serious news. Prayers for a full recovery.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #27
Sled Dog
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tim
Trading: (0)
Sled Dog is on a distinguished road

Yikes.... best wishes to a speedy recovery! Hopefully you'll be back up and on your feet soon! At least its happening now and not in the summer.... nothing worse than being laid up in the summer while everyone else is enjoying the weather.
Sled Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #28
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

<rant>

The first appointment I got was for the first week in March so I called around and I am waiting to hear back from two different hospitals today (one advantage to living in Boston).

To make things that much better, we found my wife's job posted on Monster over the weekend (just posted Saturday).

So I got that going for me ....

</rant>

Old 02-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #29
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

As someone who has to replaced hips, a cage and fusion in my back and my surgeon telling me I need a rebuild on my left shoulder and a repair on the right...I know how you feel I hope all works out well....PS shoulders are the hardest joint to rehab...just sayin
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #30
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Well to continue my rant:

(Mainly just for my own needs but that is what rants are for right?)

I saw Surgeon #1 yesterday and he said he sees no non-surgical options with this degree of rupture, and because of my existing fusion I am a very good candidate for disk replacement - which would hopefully stop the domino effect of adjacent disks failing over time.

Then he said that my insurance (BCBS) will most likely deny it and just tell him to do another fusion (I assume because they are less expensive)

He said I have a good chance of getting it approved through an appeal process (which I will have to do myself) but it will add an extra couple of months to the process.

I am hoping that once they see they have already paid for one fusion that likely casused my current condition, that the replacement may actually be more cost effective in the long run.

I see Surgeon #2 tomorrow for a second opinion (which I know they are going to ask for anyway).

Then Monday, I get to go back to my regular Dr. and beg for pain meds to tide me over through the appeal process (apparently surgeons don't like writing scripts until after they cut you open).

He did say that I shouldn't have any issues getting what I need once I show him the cd of my MRI (I feel like one of those moron muscians in the subway station passing out cd's to anyone that will listen).

I just hope I have enough left to get me to Monday.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #31
Wanger

Damn dude. I feel for ya! Hope it all works out in the end. Just another story of why insurance companies suck.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #32
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Back in rant mode.....

I saw surgeon #2 yesterday, total a-hole.

He let his surgical resident do most of my eval (who seemed surprised how well I could read my MRI films, I told him this is far from my first rodeo).

The resident agreed that I need surgery, and then Dr. a-hole finally came in, didn't want to listen to anything I had to say and completely contridicted his assistant saying he didn't like to be so aggressive and I should try PT first and wait until it gets worse before sending me packing in about 5 minutes after being in the hospital for 3+ hours.

I told him not to sit by the phone waiting for me to make another appointment.

He also made me have a CT scan which he never looked at (I had my MRI films with me) - can you say "padding the bill" any louder?

I am going to stick with the first guy.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #33
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you're stuck in the doctor grinder, Rick.
Honest to God, it's worth continuing to look for a surgeon you can put your trust in. Don't settle. Ask around, check some messageboards, get in the car and drive a couple hundred miles if you have to.
In the end, even if you don't get 100% relief, you'll feel confident you got the very best treatment possible. That peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.

Ain't much sense in getting pissed off, and it's damn near impossible not to. The doctors just plain don't much give a sh1t.
I have found that big city doctors are far more personable and thorough than small town docs (I'm not sure where you're doctoring). In the small towns, there's one health system and zero competition. When I travel to Pittsburgh or Cleveland, they fall all over me. By "fall all over me", I mean they'll actually listen to my concerns and answer my questions. You'd think that should be status quo, but it ain't, by a longshot.

I wish you the best of luck through all this, I know exactly how bad it sucks. I've been stuck in the doctor grinder for years. They have my insurance cards practically swiped to death.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #34
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Sorry you're stuck in the doctor grinder, Rick.
Honest to God, it's worth continuing to look for a surgeon you can put your trust in. Don't settle. Ask around, check some messageboards, get in the car and drive a couple hundred miles if you have to.
In the end, even if you don't get 100% relief, you'll feel confident you got the very best treatment possible. That peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold.

Ain't much sense in getting pissed off, and it's damn near impossible not to. The doctors just plain don't much give a sh1t.
I have found that big city doctors are far more personable and thorough than small town docs (I'm not sure where you're doctoring). In the small towns, there's one health system and zero competition. When I travel to Pittsburgh or Cleveland, they fall all over me. By "fall all over me", I mean they'll actually listen to my concerns and answer my questions. You'd think that should be status quo, but it ain't, by a longshot.

I wish you the best of luck through all this, I know exactly how bad it sucks. I've been stuck in the doctor grinder for years. They have my insurance cards practically swiped to death.
I'm in Boston, no need to travel more than a few blocks to find another hospital. That is the one thing I have going for me.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #35
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

So, to update my rant.....

I have a surgery date for the end of March - I filled out all the paperwork and have a pre-op scheduled.

But, I still don't have an official yes or no yet.

So, I have to plan my work and family around possibly having a pretty major procedure done in three weeks - but it might not happen.

If it does, I'll be out for at least two weeks and not be able to drive for probably five weeks (who knows when I will be able to enjoy a cigar again).

Talk about a frustrating process.

At least I have the NERF this weekend to take my mind off of things.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #36
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

GL & Prayers Continued, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #37
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

I'm sure you will come thru this just fine.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #38
Bunker
New hardware installed.

Partagas

Well, I got the call this morning that I have actually been approved for disk replacement and everything is a go for the end of the month.

I still won't believe it until I have the paperwork in my hand but it looks like I will be on the DL just in time for opening day (hopefully there will be some day games early on).

Now the real question, home many cigars can I smoke before then and how many weeks will I have to go without one after the fact?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #39
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Good luck with everything -- my thoughts and prayers are with you.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #40
jesseboston81
CC Simple PIF Promoter

First Name: Jesse
Trading: (41)
Bolivar
jesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nicejesseboston81 is just really nice

Hey Rick, hate to hear about your predicament, but I'm glad you got approved for disk replacement--it sounds like that's about the best option at this point. Look into something like your cable company's MLB package and then you'll have no shortage of games to watch!!