Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Don Pepin Garcia black 2001

Sorry, no pictures, I lost them during a hard disk crash before I could upload them.

This cellophane wrapped 6 x 60 cigar is the biggest in the Cuban Classic series by Don Pepin. The cigar looks pretty with the oily wrapper that had a few big veins running over it. The cigar produces a lot of barnyard aroma. The predraw is fine and gives away some pepper.

I can taste coffee and soon some sweet wood. After an inch I can also taste some herbal flavor, but where is the signature Don Pepin pepper? At a third the coffee disappears and all I can taste is the sweet wood and the herbs, but still no signature Don Pepin pepper. After the mid section the wood slowly grows stronger.

The cigar produces a lot of smoke. The draw and burn are fine, but the ash is frayed. The cigar is quite one dimensional, not bad, but not what I expect from Don Pepin, it is medium flavored and full bodied, although you don't notice the strength of the body until afterwards.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, the Toro is no match for the robusto with the same blend. And there is no signature Don Pepin pepper and spices, which is a shame, because when I decide to take a Don Pepin from the humidor, I want and expect that pepper and spice 'twang'.

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 7 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Don Pepin Garcia black 2001

Great Review, Ferdie! It Always Amazes Me How Different Vitolas can Have Completely Different Flavor Profiles! The DPG CC is one of my favorites, although I've only Tried The Robusto, I Believe. Thanks Again For The Review, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #3
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

the robusto is great, my favorite vitola from the whole line, and one of my favorite cigars.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I love thes robustos as well...another fine review Ferdie.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
icantbejon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jon
Trading: (10)
Cohiba Army (Active)
icantbejon will become famous soon enoughicantbejon will become famous soon enough

I'm going to have to check the robusto out. I don't remember the CC rocking my world.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #6
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

The Black label is a favorite of mine. Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Great review Ferdie.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
Dpricenator

I love the Black lable. I dropped my last one this weekend and cracked the wrapper all to hell. Smoked something else instead. bummer.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
dannysguitar
Feeling at Home

First Name: Danny
Trading: (36)
Montecristo
dannysguitar will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpricenator View Post
I love the Black lable. I dropped my last one this weekend and cracked the wrapper all to hell. Smoked something else instead. bummer.
Didn't know you were here Dave!

I went to Santa Anita Race Track a couple months back and did the same ****. Dropped it and the wrapper busted. Smoked it anyway, and it was awesome!