Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road
Default Ambos Mundos Sumatra Robusto (#2)

Well, we have all heard about the new cigars Pete Johnson has created. Ambos Mundos, meaning Both Worlds, was created to give cigar smokers a more economical long filler cigar. Pete used B and C grade tobacco to create another cigar for his well made line of smokes. The grades of tobacco have nothing to do with the flavor of the cigar, but only refer to minor blemishes on the leaf itself.

In creating this new line, Pete used two different wrappers; Ecuadorian Sumatra and Habanos. In each of the wrappers, Pete utilizes two vitollas to show off his new line. A Toro and a robusto. I will be reviewing the Sumatra Robusto #2. This is a nice 5 X 50 cigar with medium brown wrapper.

This cigar has minor veins running the length of the cigar with a few minor light and dark spots near the cap. The overall construction of this cigar will well made. Pre-light hints of pepper, cedar and spice were present. After cutting with my Palio cutter, pre-light tastes of medium pepper, nuts, cedar and light coffee were present. After toasting this cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter, the cigar took off. Light blue grey smoke emitted from this cigar. The pepper, spice and wood created a pleasurable smoke.

The first third continued with the nice flavors. No issues with the draw. The burn line was smooth. The pepper, spice, nuttiness and wood continued, but added a slight dryness to this cigar.

Hitting the second third, a slight touch up on the burn of this cigar was required. The pepper eased up a bit, but not enough to change the overall flavor of this cigar. The pepper gave way to more of the earthiness this cigar had with the wood, nuts and addition of a light hay. Huge amounts of smoke came from this cigar.

The final third still had the peppery, spicy flavor, but not as much as there was in the beginning. There were no burn or draw issues in this cigar for this last third. To me, this was similar to a Don Pepin Blue with a more earthy taste.

Overall, I enjoyed this cigar. From start to finish, Pete provided a good cigar at a reasonable price. I enjoyed the medium flavor and would buy more of these cigars to enjoy, but they in no way would ever replace my enjoyment of the Havana VI or Brown Label Series cigars. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this cigar as a 8.4.

On a side note, I have had each of the wrappers in both vitollas. By far, the Sumatra is my preferred cigar in this line.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope it helps.
AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #2
TRicker

Default Re: Ambos Mundos Sumatra Robusto (#2)

Thanks for the review, trying to get my hands on some of these.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
AngryBill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bill
Trading: (3)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
AngryBill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRicker View Post
Thanks for the review, trying to get my hands on some of these.
Leaf and Ale, and New Havana Cigars have them in stock.
AngryBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

sounds interesting, very nice review!
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Nabinger16
Drowning Ex Gorilla

First Name: Trent
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Nabinger16 is on a distinguished road

Nice review

themoneycollector is selling 5er's of these over in the WTS area. Very Tempting!
Nabinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote