Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Rocky Patel summer 2008 collection Toro grande

Sorry, no pictures, I lost them during a hard disk crash before I could upload them.

This 6 x 58 Rocky Patel from the Summer 2008 collection was given to me by Hardcz, way before he got banned from the board. The Ecuadorian Grown Wrapper from Sumatra Seed is very oily with a few long thin veins and the construction feels quite hard. The 'bling bling' cigar band is pretty and stands out from other cigar bands. The cigar has a strong barnyard aroma. I punched the cigar and got a fine predraw with a black pepper flavor.

I can taste a mild coffee flavor without any supporting flavors. The strength of the flavor mellows down after half an inch and a few puffs later I can taste some chocolate as aftertaste. Both flavors are quite mild. After the mid section of the cigar I can taste a mild pepper for just a moment, and the flavors become a bit creamy. The flavors also grow a bit in strength. I get a freshness with a mild herbal feeling to it combined with a mild creamy chocolate. After 2/3rd the chocolate gains a bit more power, but it never becomes full flavored.

This cigar produces a lot of smoke. The draw is on the light side but acceptable and the ash is close to white and firm. I needed to correct the burn a few times. The cigar is mild to medium flavored and medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, this cigar is another Rocky Patel that doesn't fit my palate

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 6 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 6 / 10
Aroma (first part) 6 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 7 / 10
Old 11-25-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rocky Patel summer 2008 collection Toro grande

Thanks for the review Ferdie. Looks like I need to send you some more Edge Maduro Dbl. Coronas!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review, Ferd.

Personally, i liked em a lot. The Devil site has boxes of toros every now and then for as little as $70
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
Thanks for the review Ferdie. Looks like I need to send you some more Edge Maduro Dbl. Coronas!
I still have many RP's in my humidor to try Jaime, I even have some nice "A" coffins that Catfish bombed me.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote