Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 07-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #2501
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I often wonder who EATS all that stuff.
I usually eat for a week each time I fire up the WSM, but today's smoke is for a "pitch in" lunch with 6 of my nursing classmates and clinical instructor. They've been tortured enough watching me bring in ribs to eat for lunch week after week.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #2502
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #2503
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Public Service Announcement: Be sure to wear shoes when getting the WSM going with a chimney. Let's just say an unseen piece of charcoal laying beside the smoker a few minutes later is quite hot.
Ouch.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:44 PM   #2504
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

No pics. But worth sharing.
Beef Jerky
Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #2505
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #2506
forgop
Not a puffer

Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribs.jpg (84.4 KB, 406 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 06:44 PM   #2507
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
The jerky sounds good Peter. How thick did you slice it?
between 1/8 and 1/4 inch.
I wouldn't go more than 1/4"
Old 07-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #2508
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
Here are the 9 racks of BBR's off of the smoker. The downside to today's smoke is that it seems my remote thermometer failed to "update" as temps were holding nicely and I went inside for a while since it was only ~ 95 degrees today and failed to alarm me to the 260-265 temps going on for at least 60-90 minutes. They're a little dry.
Those still look delicious. What remote thermometer were you using? I've had problems with my Maverick ET-73 doing that and upgraded to the ET-732.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #2509
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #2510
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Dry AND out of focus, haha.

I am not sure what I am doing right, but I rarely get too much retraction off the bone. I think it is that last 15-25 degrees
past where I range, about 220 for the entire cook. They come out bursting with juice and as tender as anything I have
had like it. But you can BARELY see the tips of the bones protruding. I would say that yes, it is unwise to be that high.
But I have no thermometer, I just check on em every hour, haha.

---edit----
good thing you are working in a hospital....you are going to need REGULAR cholesterol checks.
I'm backing off the atkins for awhile now and going back to WW. Won't be firing up the smoker for awhile now.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #2511
OLS
Suck It

OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Bummer.....More reasons for the Smoker thread to be slow...

BUT here is an offering, something MUST be going around, my pics are blurry TOO.
I think it's a camera virus.

Cranked up 8 chicken legs and a small butt today. I wanted to show my landlady that I appreciate
her getting off her ass a lot lately and spraying down the patio and trying to generally hold up her end of
the bargain around here. So i gave her 4 chicken legs and a small butt. I usually give her scraps, barely a tenth
of what I make for myself. i used to give her a half a rack of ribs every weekend, but she started pissing me off.

Where was I?? Oh yeah...believe it or not, I remembered to take PIX, lol. Well the chicken legs almost got away....
PS...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jul23 butt1.jpg (119.9 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Jul23 butt2.jpg (111.6 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg Jul23chiknlgs.jpg (96.8 KB, 337 views)
Old 07-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #2512
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Got a 5.5lb flat end today that'll go on the smoker tomorrow. I don't think my Bradley will get hot enough to do a H&F cooking method, but I"ll crank it as high as I can and see what happens.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:29 AM   #2513
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

I cooked up some chicken thighs on my new UDS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060096.jpg (104.2 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg P1060098.jpg (107.8 KB, 365 views)
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #2514
OLS
Suck It

That's a particularly sweet rendition of the old UDS.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #2515
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Looking good!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #2516
OLS
Suck It

OMG it is the weekend already! As little as I do on a Friday, I call it the weekend. This weekend is special, because
I have to be VERY careful not to rush it or waste it. I am in the Smokies all next week, but I can't arrive before Monday
morning, so there is no need to rush through the weekend to hurry up and get the Smokies here faster. I need to
cook up 4 racks of BBRs on Sunday, I have a butt pulled and seasoned and sauced in the freezer to take with me, and
I might cold smoke some catfish after I am all done with the meat. The smoker gets a real workout this weekend. I might
get by the Kroooger store and check on reduced meat and have a marathon Smokeapalooza.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #2517
BigAsh
Don't knock the Ash...

First Name: Keith
Trading: (46)
Partagas
BigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to beholdBigAsh is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

...the amazing thing about the chicken legs was, I cooked em at such a high temp, the skin was CRISPY AND smoked!
Freaking victory, and a first for me. Downside? I smoked em too long and they were delicious, but the kind of
overdone that makes the meat a little mushy. I like it fine like that, but I coulda pulled em an hour earlier and enjoyed
the texture more. but the taste was.......we need an orgasm smilie.

I can't believe I gave up that butt without even a NIBBLE.

WINNER WINNER!....Crispy Smoked Chicken Legs Dinner!!....that's a feat I've yet to pull off on the smoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post

Looked mighty tasty!!
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #2518
OLS
Suck It

In a development sure to make Keith BigAsh whimper, I picked up a dozen chicken legs today, So I am all set now to make
it that much worse in the morning. I was going to try for crispy skin again, but it will be tough with other meats on the
grate to get the temps up too high. I don't want to ruin 60 bucks worth of meat to cook 4 dollars worth of chicken
legs to perfection, lol.

I also saw they had some cross-cut beef short ribs marked down, and a rack of cut dino-bone beef ribs just covered with meat
so I had to pick those up as well. It's gonna be a multi-species smoke for the Smokies.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #2519
OLS
Suck It

Yummy yummy. Chicken legs and short ribs, done to a turn!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chicken legs and Shortribs.jpg (83.5 KB, 383 views)
Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #2520
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Did about six pounds of beef jerky yesterday. 3 hours in the smoke with mesquite and finished off in the dehydrator.

That is one sweet lookin' UDS by the way!!!