Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Batista30

Default 2006 Opus X BBMF Natural Review

A little history....

I reviewed a 2010 Opus X BBMF back in 2011 which left me slightly underwhelmed based upon the history of the Opus cigar and for which it stands. Dave, who gifted me the 2010 version sent me another BBMF to review, this time with over 5 years of age on it. I don’t take reviewing cigars of such caliber lightly, hence the long delay in smoking this one.

2006 Opus X BBMF Natural Review

RH 67 Temp 67

Drink – Water

Smoke Time: 2hrs 15 min

Size: 6.5 x 64 (perfecto shape)

Construction/Appearance:

The Opus X BBMF Natural has a wonderful firm feel with no soft “give” to it. The wrapper has a rugged texture and is somewhat toothy. The Opus comes with the usual beautiful label and an even more gorgeous “pigtail” on one end and a maduro tip on the other. At first glance, I hate to cut the pigtail and smoke the cigar but I guess that’s the case with all beautifully handmade cigars.

Burn/Draw:

The prelight draw is even and smooth. One that thing that bothers me at times is having a cigar with an “airy” draw. Lighting the cigar with my trusty lighter, the Opus X BBMF invites the flame with welcoming arms. The cigar burns well and evenly through the nipple which sometimes is a problem with tips such as this. The ash of this Opus X BBMF is absolutely stunning, showcasing almost a pure white texture. Once the burn line gets past the nipple, the draw opens up very well and in turn expelling plenty of smoke. I must say, the burn was very even throughout the review!

Flavors/Aroma:

The rosado wrapped Opus smells amazing. The aroma of an Opus is like no other and most enjoyable and intoxicating. I am picking up initial flavors of a mild sweetness similar to honey followed up with a bit of spice on the tongue. I find this very pleasing as both aspects balance out the cigar.

The Opus X BBMF is getting stronger halfway through the review, revealing it’s powerful side to me. Even though I had a full meal before smoking the cigar, I am feeling the effects of the BBMF. Now I am really understanding the meaning behind the name. Yet, the back half of the 2nd part exudes sweetness and mellow flavors. Even though the cigar is in my face with the nicotine, the heavenly flavors are simply making it very enjoyable. In the final third, I am encountering more spice with the sweetness playing a secondary role. To top it off, the 2006 Opus X BBMF ends with a salvo so memorable that my only regret is only having one of these beautiful cigars to smoke.

Final Thoughts:

Age can do wonders for an Opus if you have the patience and cigars. Buy whatever Opus you can get your hands on and hide them for a few years. This cigar absolutely set the bar high for anything else I smoke in 2012. The flavor profile was completely enjoyable which, combined with a great burn and draw, makes this cigar in the running for “2012 Smoke of the Year”.

Again, my thanks go out to Dave (Smelvis) for so generously gifting me such a beautiful specimen. Even though I wish I could have reviewed the gem earlier, I am glad to have waited so I could write a deserving review to match it’s brilliance.

Rating: 95

Please go to travelingstogie.com for more reviews and info!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Hem
Feeling at Home

First Name: Bill
Trading: (13)
Partagas
Hem will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 2006 Opus X BBMF Natural Review

Great review! Sounds delicious!
Hem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Great review, thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Batista30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hem View Post
Great review! Sounds delicious!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Great review, thanks!
Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments
Old 01-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Nice review bother...thanks for sharing
Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
goomer

Great review! I've loved Opus's from the first one I smoked, with no age on it, to the last one, with age on it!