Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-19-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default 2016 MLB Thread

Might as well get this going for the new year. Go Sox
Old 12-19-2015, 01:24 AM   #2
ChicagoWhiteSox

Default Re: 2016 MLB Thread

Well my cousin signed with the dirty north side.. Oh well, didn't think it'd happen. Todd Frazier signs with the good guys. I like it. Best guy at 3rd we've had in a while.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:25 AM   #3
ChicagoWhiteSox

Other hot stove news:
Colon signs with the Mets. Dude is still throwing heat. I call roids!! Thanks for 05 though Bartolo
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Looking forward to seeing the Sox and Tigers battle for last place again, Nate.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
ChicagoWhiteSox

Will be an exciting battle I'm sure
Old 12-20-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Let's Go Mets!!
Old 12-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #7
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

I'm confident my Twins will win the whole damn thing now that we have a Korean than can hit home runs off sub 90 mph throwing pitchers.....
Old 12-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Trading: (1)
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Let's Go Mets!!
Boo.... Go Nats! I'm holding my breath, right now, though.

I hope Dusty Baker can use his weapons better than Matt Williams could--and I liked Matt Williams...

But it looks like we may be looking at Daniel Murphy now that it looks like Brandon Phillips is a no go... :-(
Old 12-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #9
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Are not most bakers dusty?
Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
dman4505
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Don
Navy (Served With Honor)
dman4505 will become famous soon enough

Hoping the moves the Cubbies have made work out and they can make another run.
Surprised they got away with taking two guys from the Cardinals. It's usually the other way around.

Don
Old 12-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #11
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Reds will have a tough time losing less than 95 games next year. It may be worse than that, even.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 AM   #12
ChicagoWhiteSox

Brian - how do you think Todd will perform in the AL?
Old 12-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
ChicagoWhiteSox

Mets better sign YO.. Rumors they want to sign DeAza.. It'll be a looong season for them if they go that route.. Plus side would be maybe the Sox sign YO.

Frazier
Abreu
Cespedes

On paper, dangerous middle lineup. But let's be real, on paper the Sox looked good last winter with the work Rick did...
Old 12-22-2015, 10:45 AM   #14
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Tigers looked like the Team of the Century on paper for 3 seasons, and you saw how many WS titles that got them.

Hopefully Cespedes is better for the Sox than he was for Detroit if you get him, Nate.

And no, I don't really mean that.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #15
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Tigers looked like the Team of the Century on paper for 3 seasons, and you saw how many WS titles that got them.

Hopefully Cespedes is better for the Sox than he was for Detroit if you get him, Nate.

And no, I don't really mean that.
If he does what he did for DET and the Mets last year, that'll work. Good numbers put up for both teams. But, I will say I had only become a "believer" in YO after his savage performance with the Mets.

My guess is the Giants, Tigers, and Chisox will make the biggest offers, and he'll land in San Fran
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Cespedes did OK for the Mets. He hit the cover off the ball for about a month, but once the opposing teams figured out he couldn't hit high inside heat, he was done for the season. Really effected his production in the playoffs. I don't see that changing unless he puts some work into his game. I think the Mets will be better off not signing this over-priced player.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #17
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Cespedes did OK for the Mets. He hit the cover off the ball for about a month, but once the opposing teams figured out he couldn't hit high inside heat, he was done for the season. Really effected his production in the playoffs. I don't see that changing unless he puts some work into his game. I think the Mets will be better off not signing this over-priced player.
Cespedes was a 6.7 WAR player in 2015. In the OF, only Trout and Harper were better in all of MLB. In terms of contracts, you look at a recent OF signing: Heyward. Dude pulled in $184mm. Largest contract in Cubs history. He was a 6.0 WAR player last year. Personally, I think that is a decent signing for them. Single metrics like power numbers make Heyward look not exactly worth it, but his favorable WAR (glove makes up where his bat doesn't) and age close the gap. Cespedes will get a massive contract, but it'll probably be in line with other ~6 WAR OFs. The more I think about, my bet is DET or San Fran will throw serious coin and land him. I just don't see JR nutting up. Sox would have the highest PR in the teams history if they do.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #18
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Any thoughts on the two players voted into the HOF today?

Me, I have no problem at all with Griffey Jr. I guess one could quibble that he needed another couple of years active, but I won't be one of those.

As for Piazza, I think his numbers would prevent me from voting him in, were it not for the fact that he holds the HR record for a catcher. He was a powerful offensive weapon. On the other hand, he was not much of a defensive backstop, either as a receiver or with his arm. In my book, he was not a Posada, much less a Pudge. But that's me, and I won't begrudge the Pizzaman.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #19
Mr.Erskine
Looking up

First Name: Benjamin
Mr.Erskine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
Any thoughts on the two players voted into the HOF today?

Me, I have no problem at all with Griffey Jr. I guess one could quibble that he needed another couple of years active, but I won't be one of those.

As for Piazza, I think his numbers would prevent me from voting him in, were it not for the fact that he holds the HR record for a catcher. He was a powerful offensive weapon. On the other hand, he was not much of a defensive backstop, either as a receiver or with his arm. In my book, he was not a Posada, much less a Pudge. But that's me, and I won't begrudge the Pizzaman.
Griffey--YES! Griffey is probably my number one all time favorite players to watch, even though I was never a fan of any of the teams he played for. Although, I could stomach the Mariners.

Piazza--when I was younger, I was a Dodger fan, right through his rookie season. I always thought Mike Piazza was a solid player. Unfortunately, because of the flash of the players of the 90's and the fact that numbers are inflated more and more ever year, solid players wind up getting overlooked for the players that put on a show (See Craig Biggio and how long he had to wait to get voted in)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Solid? Yeah, sure. HOF? Ehhhh. And I saw Piazza a lot here with the Mets.

Not so much with the Dodgers, thanks to one of history's three greatest villains, Walter O'Malley.