Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM   #1541
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

I did some searching and really didn't see a specific answer to this question. I think I know the answer, but I'd like someone to confirm it.

Up until this week I've only purchased single sticks and fiver's. Basically this week I'm doubling what is in my humidor. I just put 10 sticks in and another 20 will go in later this week. I'm assuming I'll see a drop in the humidity with a increase of the number of sticks in the humi. How long does it normally take for things to stabilize generally speaking? I know things vary for each situation but can I expect a week, or a month for things to get back to normal. I do put all new sticks through the freezer cycle.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #1542
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post
I did some searching and really didn't see a specific answer to this question. I think I know the answer, but I'd like someone to confirm it.

Up until this week I've only purchased single sticks and fiver's. Basically this week I'm doubling what is in my humidor. I just put 10 sticks in and another 20 will go in later this week. I'm assuming I'll see a drop in the humidity with a increase of the number of sticks in the humi. How long does it normally take for things to stabilize generally speaking? I know things vary for each situation but can I expect a week, or a month for things to get back to normal. I do put all new sticks through the freezer cycle.
What are you using to humidify your sticks?
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 PM   #1543
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClean View Post

Depending how moist the newly added cigars are, your humidity could actually go up. Quite a few US online vendors ship their cigars a bit on the humid side or right at 70% so that they don't dry out in transit. Usually what this means is that they are still a bit "wet" when you get them.

No real set answer for how long it will take your humidor to come up or down to your preferred humidity as there are way too many variables.

All that really matters though is how the cigars are smoking. If you like how they are smoking, then it doesn't matter if the RH is a bit different from what you are accustomed to seeing on your hygrometer.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #1544
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the answers, that makes sense. I use HCM beads, they've been great and my RH would only flucate when I opened and closed the lid a bunch. Wasn't sure what to expect when adding a bunch of sticks, but now I have a good idea. Thanks again guys!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #1545
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Help help! What am I am I doing wrong? I went to count my sticks (136 right now) and the ones that were not in cello were very hard. The others were ok. I added some gel stuff to my humidification decvice....my hygrometers battery is dead and I need to get some more, have I screwed up? Are my sticks beyond repair?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #1546
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

How long since your hygrometer worked, Mickey?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #1547
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Last week it was still reading at 68%
Old 10-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #1548
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Last week it was still reading at 68%
Then there is no way you caused fatal harm to your cigars, Mickey.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #1549
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Then there is no way you caused fatal harm to your cigars, Mickey.
But they are so hard.....I went ahead and put them in some 5 finger bags hoping to fix them, its about 12 cigars....how do I rectify this? Also how do I make sure it doesn't happen again, I was horrified!
Old 10-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #1550
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Working hygrometer, beads, and loving care.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #1551
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Thanks Tom, wish me luck. I thought I was being so careful.....ugh.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #1552
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
Thanks Tom, wish me luck. I thought I was being so careful.....ugh.
After You Get A New Battery, Be Sure To Recalibrate Your Hygrometer, Mickey. GL, Brother!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #1553
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

One week shouldn't hurt them at all. Not familiar with the gel stuff, Get a battery, a boveda calibration kit, and there you go.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #1554
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Thanks Greg and Sean. I will say I am smoking a RP Cameroon and its smoking nicely....paper is a bit crackes, but I working around those issues.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #1555
Diths0er

I have noticed that when using a silica gel based humidification system, that both the humidor and the individual (unlit) cigars have a weaker smell than those from a humidor using distilled water/floral foam. I have transferred strong-smelling cigars from a floral-foam based humidor into one using silica gel and within a few days notice a marked decrease in pungency of wrapper aroma. I have experienced this with both Kitty Litter and made-for-purpose silica beads. Upon replacing the foam/water system in a few of my humidors, I could easily tell that the scent from the interior of the humidor was much weaker. I have heard that silica gel does absorb odours. Has anyone else experienced a decrease in cigar/humidor aroma after making the switch to silica? If so, has it negatively impacted the flavour/ quality of your cigars?
By the way, I leave the cellophane on.

Last edited by Diths0er; 11-02-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1556
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Most of the bead products absorb ammonia -- which is prevalant in new cigars. The floral foam does not absorb ammonia. I think it's best to remove the ammonia myself as it "taints" the flavor of the cigar.

Some bead products (not HCM Beads) will absorb hydrocarbons that are given off by the cigars and this is why the beads become discolored over time. This also may be a component of what you are detecting.

Just my

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #1557
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Quick question, I've been using Boveda humidor pillows. I usually change them out every three months, with two new ones. (I have a 50 stick desktop humidor) A little while ago, my RH gauge thing fell apart. It didn't compromise the integrity of the humidor, but I have no clue what the RH is in my humidor. My question is; I've been good with my routine of two new Boveda pillows every three months, how important is the gauge? TIA
Old 11-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #1558
Cornrow_Wallis
<insert user title>

Trading: (8)
Cornrow_Wallis is on a distinguished road

Not that important with a consistent humidity source. As long as they are smoking good I wouldn't worry about it. I have hcm beads and no hygro in my desktop.

If it was one of the analog hygrometers that came with the desktop, chances are it wasn't terribly accurate to begin with.
Cornrow_Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #1559
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Many people don't use hygrometers; those that do usually use a digital one. You can proceed as you have been doing and you will likely be fine. If you are really worried you can pick up a good digial hygrometer pretty cheaply -- just have to look around a little bit.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #1560
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Thank you guys!