Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #1481
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
Thanks Shane. I KNOW you have done your homework! Coffee seems to be your latest and greatest. You know what we need to try is a good cognac! A dark rich chewey smoke just sounds delicious with a cognac!
Honestly I have never had any kind of cognac, but I'm down to try it. Some people swear by it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #1482
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the advice Stephan. I have been smoking routinely for about a year now myself but am constantly trying to make out exactly what it is I am tasting. Well I guess just more smoking and time can help do the trick! Happy smoking to you!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #1483
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

First Name: Mark
Trading: (22)
RA Army (Served With Honor)
mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

I just had this:

happen to a cigar that I was thoroughly enjoying. Needless to say, it was frustrating to lose the smoke with the first third having been so promising. I am wondering if there is something that can be done to avoid this, or if I did something wrong to cause the split, or if this is just something that happens once in a while.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #1484
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarnold1 View Post
I just had this:

happen to a cigar that I was thoroughly enjoying. Needless to say, it was frustrating to lose the smoke with the first third having been so promising. I am wondering if there is something that can be done to avoid this, or if I did something wrong to cause the split, or if this is just something that happens once in a while.
Humidity first and foremost...either too low or maybe a big swing. Cold weather also...don't know how cold it is right now in MN but I've had problems already with some cold nights in Chicago and its only October. Hope this helps!
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #1485
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

mkarnold1 will become famous soon enoughmkarnold1 will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ian, it was a new delivery, maybe that had something to do with it. But it's not cold here right now, kind of an indian summer. It was probably 65 on my deck at 9:00PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #1486
Ismith75
Tin Cup Chalice

First Name: Ian
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Ismith75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks Ian, it was a new delivery, maybe that had something to do with it. But it's not cold here right now, kind of an indian summer. It was probably 65 on my deck at 9:00PM.
Most likely the humidity if they were ROTT. Always a good idea to let them adjust to your own humi for a couple weeks...but I think we all know how much easier that is said than done!
Ismith75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #1487
mkarnold1
Skol Vikings!

New question: How do you deal with the cold and the possibility of a split like this? Knowing I will be facing this issue for the next several months it would be good to have some ideas on how to lower the chances and finish more good smokes. My first idea would be to keep my humi in the fridge and lower the stogies to 40* so that the temp change is not so drastic taking them outside. Any suggestions?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #1488
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

yea it happens try letting them rest and if that don't work try duck tape works for me taste a little funny tho
Old 10-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #1489
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
New question: How do you deal with the cold and the possibility of a split like this? Knowing I will be facing this issue for the next several months it would be good to have some ideas on how to lower the chances and finish more good smokes. My first idea would be to keep my humi in the fridge and lower the stogies to 40* so that the temp change is not so drastic taking them outside. Any suggestions?
Let the stick sit out in open air for maybe an hour or two might do the trick. The humidity will at least regulate a little bit
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #1490
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

The bigger the difference between the RH of your cigar and the RH of the ambient environment (e.g., outside air) the more likely that your wrapper will split. This is an even bigger problem for cigars with fragile (thin) wrappers (e.g., Connecticut).

If you know you are going to be smoking in a lower RH, then you should dry box a few cigars and have them ready. It can take several days (or more) for the RH of the cigars to drop.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #1491
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

New question:

Can you put different flavored or infused cigars together or do I have to put each bundle or so into separate tupadors or humis?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #1492
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by irratebass View Post
New question:

Can you put different flavored or infused cigars together or do I have to put each bundle or so into separate tupadors or humis?
Honestly I wouldn't worry to much about putting them together.
I know a guy that has had infused in a humidor with non-infused for almost a year (on different shelves) and has not had any noticeable issues. I know everybody says not to and I personally wouldn't but the one person I know who has been doing this has had no issues.
I would imagine you should be fine, only one way to know for sure.
Besides if they mix you could end up with fruit punch

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 10-05-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #1493
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
New question:

I don't believe it makes much to any difference as long as you're not mixing flavored/infused cigars with traditional cigars.

That said, I've never done it so I'm no expert on it, but I've never had someone complain at work that their infused cigars tasted very similar because they were placed next to each other in the humi.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #1494
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Unless you want a mixture of flavors, segregate the infused from normal cigars. Probably best to use a cheap tupperdor with infused smokes. Also, probably best to keep each 'flavor' in a separate tupperdor to prevent mixing the flavors.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #1495
Lonely Raven

Quote:
New question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Unless you want a mixture of flavors, segregate the infused from normal cigars. Probably best to use a cheap tupperdor with infused smokes. Also, probably best to keep each 'flavor' in a separate tupperdor to prevent mixing the flavors.

Having a crapton of infused, and some flavored, I can say for sure that having them in the same container with regular cigars does impart some flavor on the regulars...at least on initial light up. I guess some of the scent gets into the foot.

I've read that you'll get more scent/flavor transfer if the wrappers are touching (even on normal cigars - especially oily ones), and since most of the sweet flavor on Acids (for example) is in the wrapper, I certainly wouldn't want different flavors/infusions to touch regular cigars.

IMHO, anything cherry needs it's own box. That scent just hangs on everything. Yuk!

I mix my acids in the same box, but I'll keep my fiance's flavored at very least divided, if not in a different box if I have the space.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #1496
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, I have a bundle of Trader Jacks and was going to put them in a separate tupperware container, but was just wondering if I went and bought some Acids or Java or any other flavored or infused sticks if they would be ok together in the same container NOT in my humis with my other ones.....so I guess they will be ok.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #1497
DaBear
Have My Own Room

HdM

Quote:
Thanks guys, I have a bundle of Trader Jacks and was going to put them in a separate tupperware container, but was just wondering if I went and bought some Acids or Java or any other flavored or infused sticks if they would be ok together in the same container NOT in my humis with my other ones.....so I guess they will be ok.
They should be fine, but leave them in their cello to minimize contact, thats where the most flavor transfer will end up happening.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #1498
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

FWIW, at the Drew Estates factory, there are three storage areas for completed cigars, one for all ACID products, one for all coffee based infusions, and finally, one for non-infused cigars. Each of the storage areas has sealed walls and independant ventelation so that no mingling of the aromas occurs.

Just something to think about before you mix loose Java and ACIDs in the same humidor/tupperware.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1499
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

ERdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear View Post
They should be fine, but leave them in their cello to minimize contact, thats where the most flavor transfer will end up happening.
Well they came in bag...I am sure they are not in cellos, I haven't opened them yet (been in the freezer), but I could just stick them in a separate baggie I guess...here is a pic so you have an idea of what I am talking about.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1500
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
FWIW, at the Drew Estates factory, there are three storage areas for completed cigars, one for all ACID products, one for all coffee based infusions, and finally, one for non-infused cigars. Each of the storage areas has sealed walls and independant ventelation so that no mingling of the aromas occurs.

Just something to think about before you mix loose Java and ACIDs in the same humidor/tupperware.