Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

View Poll Results: How many boxes makes it special?
under 200 17 15.32%
under 500 12 10.81%
under 1,000 39 35.14%
under 2,500 18 16.22%
under 5,000 16 14.41%
under 10,000 5 4.50%
under 20,000 1 0.90%
under 50,000 3 2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default To You, What Constitutes A "Short Run" Or "Limited Edition"?

I'm speaking merely in terms of numbers of boxes of a particular cigar that are made, in order to get an idea of what you guys consider a "hard to find" or "rare" box.
Granted, some makers will let loose a few hundred boxes of certain cigars as they become available, creating a scarcity of that particular stick until supply catches up with demand, but what I'm after is the entire production. If that maker lets go 300 boxes here and there until he's created 3000 boxes and then that blend is discontinued, is 3000 boxes a "short run", "limited edition", or rare/htf in your mind? Does it depend on how the scarcity plays out over the release time? What if that same scarcity lasts for 10,000 or 50,000 boxes?

Personally I think that under 1000 boxes of a cigar, never to be made again, makes it rare. That's provided it's a good cigar and people are after it. Actually, I don't even care if anyone else is after it as long as I like it.
I also think that if a maker cranks out blend after blend, it takes the edge off the magical allure of a hard to find stick, a la Pete Johnson. I know he'll crank out 40 or 50 more extra special blends this year, so I'm not really missing anything, or at least that's how I feel.

I'm thinking nc's as I write, but I'd also like to hear thoughts about cc rarity, and what you all think is that special line and why.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: To You, What Constitutes A "Short Run" Or "Limited Edition"?

Didn't read the "boxes" part of the question, so I voted Under 20k. As far as boxes, I think under 2500 is a good number, keeps them from being available everywhere, while allowing those that keep up with all the limiteds a chance to grab some should they be interested.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

These are my definitions, they may be way out in left field but they are what I think of when I hear these terms as a newb (just opinions):

Short Run: A cigar that is produced in small batches over and over again every so often.
Limited Edition: A cigar that is produced only once in a certain quantity for a certain purpose.
HTF: A cigar I can only find sometimes and under certain situations
Rare: A cigar I can no longer purchase through retail markets.

Edit: Once again I answered before the poll was posted, sorry!

Last edited by Blak Smyth; 02-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Blak Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
JenksAnejo
Thunder Up

First Name: Jarrod
Trading: (51)
Partagas
JenksAnejo has a spectacular aura aboutJenksAnejo has a spectacular aura about

Under 2500!
JenksAnejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

For me I like under 5,000. The 100 or 200 box limited stuff is just ridiculous. Make enough so everyone can try them and have a shot at a box. I like how available the limited CC's are. You usually have several years to snag a box (EL's) and sometimes up to 5 years.

I just like not feeling forced to buy a box or it'll go away in a few days/months.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
For me I like under 5,000. The 100 or 200 box limited stuff is just ridiculous. Make enough so everyone can try them and have a shot at a box. I like how available the limited CC's are. You usually have several years to snag a box (EL's) and sometimes up to 5 years.

I just like not feeling forced to buy a box or it'll go away in a few days/months.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post

I feel much like that as well, Bill.
I like when someone like Litto does an 800 box experimental that most people just don't know about or care about, and they stay around long enough for really hardcore fans to get a shot at a reasonable price.
It kinda sucks that the only way to sort the field of "real fans" is to make the price insane in the case of cc's. With Litto stuff, he'll bump the whole batch out to one retailer who will sit on it as long as it takes. It kind of stays hidden, so it lasts awhile.
I suppose the cc EL's are much like that, they get hidden until years later if someone really looks hard.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
These are my definitions, they may be way out in left field but they are what I think of when I hear these terms as a newb (just opinions):

Short Run: A cigar that is produced in small batches over and over again every so often.
Limited Edition: A cigar that is produced only once in a certain quantity for a certain purpose.

Nice....I agree.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

No cake in this poll?
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarmonkel View Post
No cake in this poll?
Silly boy! That would make this thread relevant.

Tomorrow, I think we need a poll on cigar sizes and names.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Silly boy! That would make this thread relevant.

Tomorrow, I think we need a poll on cigar sizes and names.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to thread jack but I do find it very interesting on how the size of the cigar can play into the taste!

Anyways back on point! I have a love hate relationship with limited editions... only if they are good though.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

As long as I enjoy it...it's special.

But for HTF/Rare/LE/Buy it now or you'll never see it again = anything under 1000 boxes.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Are we talking 10ct, 20ct or 25 count boxes? Or special releases that have an odd number like 13 or 15?

Obviously, 5000 10 ct. is more rare than 5000 20ct boxes.

I would rather look at it in terms of total cigars made. To me, that number is 50,000 and under.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
Jonathan Drew
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Jonathan Drew is on a distinguished road

This is one of the greatest Threads/polls of ALL time. Seriously curious as to how this is answered and see peoples opinions.

Best,
JD
Jonathan Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
TJtorpedo
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (4)
Cohiba
TJtorpedo is on a distinguished road

I answered 200 boxes in the poll, but that was before I read the responses, and I can see the valid points made which would probably make me answer again at 1000 boxes (assuming 20 per box). I think that makes it a nice LE stick that hangs around for a while and lets everyone try them without rushing out and having to troll the internet for them.

The immediate thing that came to mind when I first read the post was the Viaje WLPs and his various seasonals, which are almost impossible to find even at the time they are released. But I guess those would be more considered a oneoff?
TJtorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #17
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

where's the "because they said so" option?

or the "it's ridiculously good but i have trouble finding it option" which is what i would actually vote for.

seriously, i have no clue how many boxes are produced of any cigar i ever buy.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #18
44stampede
Feeling at Home

First Name: Brett
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
44stampede will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post

This is a very good summary.

Numbers wise I have to say somewhere that it is relatively difficult to get a hold of one but not impossible. What number that is I have no idea. I wouldn't even know where to start guessing how many premium cigar smoker there are out there for this kind of market.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44stampede View Post
This is a very good summary.

Numbers wise I have to say somewhere that it is relatively difficult to get a hold of one but not impossible. What number that is I have no idea. I wouldn't even know where to start guessing how many premium cigar smoker there are out there for this kind of market.
That's a big part of what I was wondering.
I'd think the industry has crunched the demographic to death and has a good idea how many smokers of premium cigars there are, and where the line is on how much to produce to create and maintain enough fervor to make stuff jump off the shelves.
Being that there's not a lot of cohesion between makers like Fuente, Pete, J. Drew, etc., those numbers are probably either sought after or highly guarded.
Pete's a master at this, and whoever makes Viaje stuff seems to be on the ball. Johnathan seems to be doing well, but that might be because he's an upstart in this niche and he's really busting his ass to put out a perfect product, slowing production. (which is awesome, Jon.)
Fuente's seemed to have a lock on this forever with Anejo and Opus, but the last year or two the shelves always seem to be full of both, and they're cranking out new vitolas to try to shore up the balance they screwed up by flooding the market.
Or else their market share is slipping a bit with so many highly regarded blends hitting the shelves the last couple years?
Those are just my thoughts on this stuff, or the feel I get from watching. That's why I like to hear what you guys think.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #20
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

I voted 2500. I think there's a difference between the 1 off
productions some cigar makers do for a specific store... 4 example Viaje just did a 1 store production of Samurai Platino for Burn Cigars here. I wouldn't count that in the limited edition category. 4 me a limited edition has a small but wide release. Your store may only be able to get 1 or 2 boxes. JD did something similar with the feral flying pigs. Obviously it's better if it's a really good cigar, but simple fact that they are relatively tough to get adds to the "specialness" of it. If I could get the FFP's all the time, everywhere, I'd probably smoke more of them but I wouldn't consider them necessarily special.

Just my 2¢