Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats > Recipes

Old 11-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Cherry Tomato & Bacon Gratin

So when I saw the original tomato gratin recipe by Ina Garten, I immediately thought to myself "I can rebuild this. I have the technology. I can make it better than it was. Better...more delicious...more savory and enticing."

Bacon, melted cheese, caramelized onions... these things make everything better...

Tested out my theory yesterday at a pot luck down at the brewery, scaled it up to an 11.5" x 15" pan, this stuff just vanished.

(TSP = Teaspoon, TBS = Tablespoon, c. = cup)

Cherry Tomato & Bacon Gratin
(modified version of Provencal Cherry Tomato Gratin by Ina Garten)

2 lbs red cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
10-12 oz. yellow cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1 lb bacon (Pepper, hickory, hardwood, applewood are all great; NEVER, EVER, EVER maple bacon though)
1-1/2 TBS + 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 TSP dryed thyme
1 TSP kosher salt
1/2 TSP fresh ground black pepper
3-4 large garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 c. chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil
2-3 c. coarse bread cubes from an onion bread (ideal) country bread, or french bread baguette
1/2 c. grated cheese - any combination of parmesan or romano plus optionally mozzarella, manchego, swiss, gouda etc. works.

Preheat oven to 400F

Cook the bacon to just barely done, ie., "chewy" tenderness in a pan, remove bacon with slotted spoon, place on rack to drain. Use spatula to scrape up all the crunchy bits from the bottom of the pan, pour oil and crunchy bits through fine strainer. Reserve crunchy bits.

Halve the tomatoes, place in large bowl.

Add 1-1/2 TBS extra virgin olive oil, 1 TSP salt, 1 TSP salt, 1 TSP pepper, 1 TSP thyme, and all the bacon crunchy bits. Toss together and pour into a 9" X 13" ceramic or pyrex pan.

Chop up all the bacon and sprinkle over the top of the tomatoes.

Place the garlic, parsley and basil in a food processor and process until all is finely chopped. Add the bread cubes and process until the bread is in crumbs. Add 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil and pulse a few times to blend and coat all of the bread. Sprinkle evenly over the tomatoes & bacon.

Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the bread just turns golden brown, at which point, sprinkle the cheese over the bread, return to oven for 5-10 minutes for the cheese to melt and brown a bit.

Serve hot or warm.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cherry Tomato & Bacon Gratin

This sounds really good Adam. I may try a smaller version this weekend and use some blue cheese in it.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

That sounds scandalously good, Bob.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
iaMkcK
Feeling at Home

First Name: Jarrett
Trading: (8)
HUpmann
iaMkcK will become famous soon enough

Holy hell. I hate tomatos, but I'm trying this soon. Good looking out Adam!
iaMkcK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Made this for a side dish tonight. Man is it good. I didn't find any grape tomatoes at the market this morning, but did find some end of the season heirlooms. Rough chopped them and assembled as per the recipe. Went along well with my pork steak and I have plenty of leftovers. Thanks Adam.