Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
kgraybill
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ken
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
kgraybill is on a distinguished road
Default Your greatest accomplishment

Tell us your greatest accomplishment.

Mine is:
I have been alcohol free for 15 years. I was drinking about a case of beer a day and whatever else was around.
I quit on wedding day in 1993. No pressure from anyone, I just knew that I had to do it. God does answer prayers. No 12 step programs needed no dt's. I have not wanted to have a real drink since.

I still like the taste of beer so I keep a six pack of Becks non alcoholic around to enjoy with my evening stogie.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
MTB996
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
Partagas
MTB996 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Your greatest accomplishment

Congrats on the sobriety accomplishment. I quit cigs cold turkey (2 packs/day) the day my wife told me she was pregnant, cause I always told her I would. Haven't had one since.

My biggest accomplishment is probably my boys- twins, almost 3 years old and pretty damn cute.
MTB996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Congrats on your accomplishment!

My greatest achievement would be completing High School and College with great grades and getting a good job.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

One of only 5 people to be selected as an intern at the Gettysburg National Military Park and then returning as a seasonal ranger.

Playing four years of college baseball and graduating on time with a 3.0
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
macms
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Trading: (56)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
macms has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgraybill View Post

Mine is:
I have been alcohol free for 15 years. I was drinking about a case of beer a day and whatever else was around.
I quit on wedding day in 1993. No pressure from anyone, I just knew that I had to do it. God does answer prayers. No 12 step programs needed no dt's. I have not wanted to have a real drink since.

I still like the taste of beer so I keep a six pack of Becks non alcoholic around to enjoy with my evening stogie.
This past June marked my 32nd year of sobriety. Unlike you, I needed a little help.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by macms View Post
This past June marked my 32nd year of sobriety. Unlike you, I needed a little help.
Congrats t you both, amazing accomplishments indeed!!! Mine are my beautiful wife and children. Need to cut back on the wine though
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
mrreindeer

Quote:
I was drinking about a case of beer a day and whatever else was around.
Uh, I'll be right back. [mrreindeer leaves room, gulps heard from kitchen, lasting a long time, where the heell is he...comes back with foam on his upper brow]. Last one I promise.

Not to make light, I'm just in a weird mood. 15 years, that's awesome. I'm a weekend warrior myself, with cigars & booze. I probably drink too much myself though.

Great idea for a thread...the one greatest thing...I really think it was marrying my wife. Sure, it could be the job which I love, however stressful, because each day is pretty exciting and always offers up new challenges, and I do find it very rewarding. But I'd say it's finding the love of my life back in 1999 at, um, a bar that you may have seen in the movie 'Swingers', The Derby out in Los Feliz (California). I was blessed that day and also the day I lost her number and found her as she said she was listed, in the phonebook.

I've been married now 6 years and honestly, it is the best thing I've ever done. I won't bore you with any more.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:

Mine is:

God was lookin out for you man, congrats.

well mine probably is quiting cigs and droping weight.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

I climbed a mountain (South Sister) and completed a 54 mile backpacking trip through the 3 Sisters wilderness area in Oregon, 5 months after being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 14 and I did it with my father beside me. Did it even though the Dr's said it couldn't be done.

I later told this story at a Gala for the JDRF in Portland as an 'inspirational speech' where it raised over 40k$ for researching a cure.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Completion of Parris Island Marine Corps Boot Camp and in a close second would be Completion of the Boston Marathon.

Congrats to all on your accomplishments.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

3 are tied. Jane, Kait, Hallie

Bunch of business stuff but it is a poor second place.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice

Made Bosun on my ship.

and as my most senior deckhand says.....didn't wake up dead!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

16 years with my wife

and a beautiful little girl
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

I just want to add my congratulations to everyone on their accomplishments. Just reminds me what a wonderful group of people have gathered here to share their passion for cigars.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #15
Cigarmark

Spent my teens and twenties chasing the Grateful Dead around. I think the only drug I never did was heroin(extreme fear of needles). Drugs were my life.
It's a miracle I never killed myself. Gave it all up on Labor Day weekend 1994 and been clean ever since. I met the best thing that ever happened to me and been married to her for 13 years. God has been great to me!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #16
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

My marriage lasting 27 years.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
nozero

Thumbs up Re: Your greatest accomplishment

My marriage to and love for the same woman since 4/25/75, our two sons 29 and 24 and my honorable discharge after three years of Fun in the Sun of Fort Hood, TX with the 545th MP Company of the 1st Cav Div.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #18
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Finding Grace.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

First Name: Tim
Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

35 years of wedded bliss to a very understanding woman (It's not in my genes...all my siblings are on numbers 2 , 3 or 4), blessing me with 2 wonderful children who in turn have blessed me with 8 grandchildren.
I'm not sure it's my accomplishment, but I'm happy to be the recipient.
14holestogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #20
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by macms View Post
On April 5th, I had 7 years. I needed lots of help. Still do every single day. Thank God all you earth people are here for me to lean on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
Finding Grace.
Me too, Vinny. Me too.
I couldn't get by for a single moment without it.