Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Cain Daytona short robusto

The Cain Daytona is the newest Studio Tobac release, they just hit the stores in the US and they will hit the stores in Europe next week so I thought it was a nice opportunity to make it 'Cain Daytona week' on http://www.cigarguide.org, you can expect six reviews in the next few days. Let me kick the week off with the 4½x50 short robusto. This specific vitola isn't available on the market, it will be included in the 'free with purchase' sampler you can get at the Studio Tobac world tour. The Cain Daytona is a bit smoother than the other Cain blends due to the fact that only Jalapa valley ligero was used for the Daytona.

First thing I notice is the orange footband, I like the color orange as it is our national color. The silky wrapper is nice chocolate brown with one vein. I smell a barnyard smell with ammonia, which shows that the cigar is quite fresh. The construction feels great and the predraw is fine. I taste spicy tobacco with some pepper.

I taste a spicy and peppery herbal flavor with some sweet soil in the aftertaste. This cigar packs quite some power but not as much as the Cain F. I also taste a bit of wood. After half an inch I taste wood with herbs and a sugar sweetness. Every now and then I taste a little bit of cacao. These flavors are full and stick around till halfway.

Halfway I taste sweet wood and a little less herbs. The sweetness changed from sugar to caramel and I also taste some spices. After two thirds the sweetness gains some strength with some wood and a little bit of herbs.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and twenty minutes. The draw was great, just like the burn. I got a lot of thick smoke. The light colored ash is compact and firm. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? I wish, it's only available in the 'free with purchase' Studio Tobac event sampler

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
Old 03-17-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cain Daytona short robusto

Gonna have to give these a try soon. Geard gifted me one a few weeks ago. Nice review, us usual, Ferdie.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

I enjoyed this stick from the B&M wasn'tas tasty as a one of the other cains I have tried but it was quite enjoyable, I almost wanna say it had a fruit/citrus note to it. it was very smooth almost thinking it was medium until last third were flavors partied in my mouth
Old 03-17-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
HollywoodQue
Invictus

First Name: Howard
Trading: (46)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
HollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really niceHollywoodQue is just really nice

I guess I have to just wait til the Tour comes to michigan before I can try one of these. Thanks for the review.
HollywoodQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Great review Ferd. I had one of the petit corona's at a local B&M last week. Spot on to your review.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
I enjoyed this stick from the B&M wasn'tas tasty as a one of the other cains I have tried but it was quite enjoyable, I almost wanna say it had a fruit/citrus note to it. it was very smooth almost thinking it was medium until last third were flavors partied in my mouth
from the B&M? This particular size isn't commercially available, it's part of the Studio Tobac sampler. If your B&M has them I want their contact info and order some.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

It may of not been that size if I remember correctly it was average cigar size but was a Cain Daytona and was a few weeks ago, ah hell I'm a knoob and just smoke em I dont care if they're rare or not if they're in the humi at the B&M and wade points to the new thing and i have yet to try it I purchase it if its in my $$ range and stoke it up. I swear I make that man wade work for his boss's $$ I sometimes spend 30 minutes in the humi ask 1k questions then sometimes purchase a reg stick or new.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #8
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

could be the robusto, that is one of the 5 regular sizes.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
thecatch83

Great looking wrapper and construction. Nice review!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I was curious about these!!!

Thanks for the review!!!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Great review. im smoking the corona size as i type and im getting alot of the same flavors. really good smoke especially for the money
Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #13
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

Old 03-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #14
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Gonna have to give these a try soon. Geard gifted me one a few weeks ago. Nice review, us usual, Ferdie.
I've been called a lot of things in my life. First time for Geard.

Nice review, Ferd, my experience with the flavor profile is similar to yours, but I did pick up more citrus notes. I've only smoked the corona & PC, so perhaps those flavors are apparent in the smaller RG. Definitely my favorite Cain, I didn't find it to be that heavy in the N department, either.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

it is milder than the other Cains, due to the fact that it only has Jalapa ligero, which is the mildest of the 3 ligero's used for the normal Cains.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #16
joeobx
just playing in the storm

First Name: Joe
Trading: (4)
joeobx will become famous soon enough

Nice review. Cain's are one of my go to sticks.....can't wait to try a Daytona.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #17
TheStatsGuy
I'm a proud Masshole

First Name: Tim #4
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
TheStatsGuy will become famous soon enough

Looking forward to smoking one of this line. I'm a torpedo guy so I think I'll try that vitola first.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Joe has the torpedos--good time to try some.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
Don Fernando
Postwhore

Army (Retired)

Torpedo is my fav Cain Daytona