Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Metal Detector

Anyone have one? I want to get one for xmas in the event I someday land a job near a Civil War site and I can look for relics. I was interested in the Garret Ace 150 or 250. The 250 has a setting for relics but the 150 doesnt. Would the setting on the 150 have to be on all metals in order to find relics?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Metal Detector

apparnetly they're really easy to make! http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/clips/mak...tes-326089.php

not sure how effective tho, and definately not pretty
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trading: (0)
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Anyone have one? I want to get one for xmas in the event I someday land a job near a Civil War site and I can look for relics. I was interested in the Garret Ace 150 or 250. The 250 has a setting for relics but the 150 doesnt. Would the setting on the 150 have to be on all metals in order to find relics?
Just be careful of this. Depending on where you are, taking artifacts might be illegal. I know in any national parks, or goverment land....nothing is to leave. If you are talking old homesteads and such, great idea. We have quite a few of them here in Arkansas and you can find some very interesting stuff. I am interested as well and will be watching this thread.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
Just be careful of this. Depending on where you are, taking artifacts might be illegal. I know in any national parks, or goverment land....nothing is to leave. If you are talking old homesteads and such, great idea. We have quite a few of them here in Arkansas and you can find some very interesting stuff. I am interested as well and will be watching this thread.

Thanks for the heads up but I am well aware of the laws. I worked at a national park for two summers.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Loon
Just in from the Storm

First Name: x
Bolivar Army (Active)
Loon will become famous soon enoughLoon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up but I am well aware of the laws. I worked at a national park for two summers.
Wow!
Loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
kayak_rat
Cyclonic Bastard

First Name: Zack
Trinidad
kayak_rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's awesome. I did alot of volunteer work at the parks here. Saw quite a few guys get caught packing arrowheads and such out and the penaltys are steep. I am all about checking out old homesteas though. Did some period reconstruction which was a balst. It's amazing how much we take for granted chansaws, nails, etc.
kayak_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Fullauto

Your best bet is the Ace 250. Best machine for the money! Good Luck
Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #8
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

If you get the chance take a look at the White's detectors. I have a whites, havent really used it for quite sometime. I used it when I lived in Colorado and one of the things I liked most about it is the fact I had a chance to do a lot of research and learn a ton of history about some of the areas I wanted to detect around colorado. I think mine is the DI Pro 5800. I think it was a $600 machine and I also bought a smaller coil for it. I would also recommend a bullseye detector for it (helped out a ton and was a time saver) I should get mine out or get rid of it, just dont have much time anymore!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I have a REAL funny story about this that I'll have to post later from home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak_rat View Post
Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by livwire68 View Post
If you get the chance take a look at the White's detectors. I have a whites, havent really used it for quite sometime. I used it when I lived in Colorado and one of the things I liked most about it is the fact I had a chance to do a lot of research and learn a ton of history about some of the areas I wanted to detect around colorado. I think mine is the DI Pro 5800. I think it was a $600 machine and I also bought a smaller coil for it. I would also recommend a bullseye detector for it (helped out a ton and was a time saver) I should get mine out or get rid of it, just dont have much time anymore!

I would love a Whites, I really want the Prizm II but my parents said the max they will spend is 150 so that really limits my choices.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I have a White that tells what's under the ground. I used to do a lot of rooting.
It's been awhile since I got out looking for stuff.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I have been metal detecting for over 30 years, although, I have not gone out much over the last five years. I've had at least 15 different metal detectors, and after many trials, I have come to like Tesoro the best for use on dry land and Minelab, the best, for beach and in the water use!

Yes, the all metals mode will be best, under your circumstances, for relic hunting. However, if you have a choice in the metal detectors you can afford, go for one with the lower kHz frequency. The lower frequencies (4.0 / 7.0) work best for larger items, belt buckles, sword's, horse shoes, cannon balls, etc. The higher frequencies are best for coins, rings, charms (7.0 / 12.0), and even higher for smaller items, such as gold nuggets, chains and so on (13.0 / 19.0 +)! Metal detecting is a very contagious disease, be careful or it can consume you!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
Metal detecting is a very contagious disease, be careful or it can consume you!
I pulled an 1836 silver religious medallion out of 8 inches of dirt one time and I almost fainted.
I live about three blocks from the spot where I found my first cache.
I pulled about 30 mercury dimes out of a ditch depression in a yard and had to leave in mid dig to go to a dinner date or something.
When I went back the next day the owner's son (who's mother had given me permission) ran me off saying it "looked bad" for me to be working the yard with the metal detector while they were trying to sell it.
That was 20 years ago and I still haven't made it back there.
They're going to tear that area up to make a new road into the hospital starting this spring. I'll hit it before the opportunity expires.