Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Good Eats

Old 03-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #1701
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
cigarusmaximus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Hi folks,

I'm interested in picking up a remote temp probe for use in my bbq's. I have a natural gas grill, and a bradley smoker.

I like the idea of inserting the probe in the bbq and bringing the remote unit inside for monitoring. What make and model do you recommend?
Trying to stay under $40 if possible.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #1702
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus View Post
Hi folks,

I'm interested in picking up a remote temp probe for use in my bbq's. I have a natural gas grill, and a bradley smoker.

I like the idea of inserting the probe in the bbq and bringing the remote unit inside for monitoring. What make and model do you recommend?
Trying to stay under $40 if possible.

Thanks!
This is what I use. Works great. Has one temp probe for your smoker/pit, another for the food itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remot...1144824&sr=8-5
Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #1703
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Thanks for the suggestion!
I see a lot of mixed reviews...not only on the Mavericks, but all remote sensors. I'm a bit sceptical now. Seems like simple technology so I'm surprised they have issues.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #1704
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

I purchased a Nu-Temp about 5 years ago with two sensors and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Has good range, although I don't use if far from the smoker anyway. I can't recall the price honestly, but pretty sure it's more than the $40 target you have. I did a group buy deal on a smoking website years ago. You may check out Virtualweber dot com as they have a section on accessories like this and may get a good response. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #1705
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I've had my Maverick for about 4 years now. No real issues. The range is acceptable, but then I'm going through two walls and a distance of 30-40ft. A few times it loses the pairing, but will at times reconnect on it's own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should this one die.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #1706
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
6.5 hours in the smoker.......................getting closer!!

...I didn't quite catch your address Earl. There may be a few of us from California who will want to make an impromptu visit

Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #1707
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
I purchased a Nu-Temp about 5 years ago with two sensors and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Has good range, although I don't use if far from the smoker anyway. I can't recall the price honestly, but pretty sure it's more than the $40 target you have. I did a group buy deal on a smoking website years ago. You may check out Virtualweber dot com as they have a section on accessories like this and may get a good response. Steve
Thanks for the website Steve...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
Old 03-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #1708
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

Adam, where did you purchase your fire bricks?

Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #1709
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Adam, where did you purchase your fire bricks?

The local Ace hardware has a rock & gravel yard, cost me about $3.50 for the pair IIRC. Works quite well and very stable temps. You can use red brick if you must, but if you do, you should wrap them in many layers of aluminum foil as they can shatter.

If you're thinking about doing similar, shoot me a PM, I'll fill you in on some of the other modifications and some operating notes.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #1710
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Once the weather here in Hampton Roads decides to stay nice I'll be firing my smoker up. I'm pretty stoked this year since I'll get a full season in without having to go out to sea. Also the property I'm on has pecan, apple, and peach trees on it. Last year I trimmed them up to keep them out of the neighbors yards and have a good amount of wood to smoke this year, aside from the chunks I pick up at the local hardware store
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #1711
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The local Ace hardware has a rock & gravel yard, cost me about $3.50 for the pair IIRC. Works quite well and very stable temps. You can use red brick if you must, but if you do, you should wrap them in many layers of aluminum foil as they can shatter.

If you're thinking about doing similar, shoot me a PM, I'll fill you in on some of the other modifications and some operating notes.
Thank you Adam and a PM w/photo's sent
Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #1712
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
I've had my Maverick for about 4 years now. No real issues. The range is acceptable, but then I'm going through two walls and a distance of 30-40ft. A few times it loses the pairing, but will at times reconnect on it's own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should this one die.

I have not had any probs w/ my Mavrick either. However it does like to be closer than about 30 feet to stay connected.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #1713
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

I must say the battery life on the Maverick is pretty good. Went out Sunday to smoke some wings (Brad got me craving them). I had forgotten to turn off the remote Maverick unit from my smoke two weeks previous. Still displaying the temp inside the smoker.

Did some mesquite smoked buffalo wings on Sunday. WOW! They turned out so good. Brined them for 1.5 hours before dusting with a bit of seasoning, then into the smoker for 1.5 hours (1 hour of smoke). Threw on a hot grill for 10-15 mins to crisp the skin and finish cooking through. Then doused them in a mix of Franks hot sauce and some melted butter. Can't wait to make the next batch.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #1714
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

That sounds tasty Bob!
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #1715
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!
I see a lot of mixed reviews...not only on the Mavericks, but all remote sensors. I'm a bit sceptical now. Seems like simple technology so I'm surprised they have issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have not had any probs w/ my Mavrick either. However it does like to be closer than about 30 feet to stay connected.
There are a few write-ups on doing mods for these ET-73's on the web. Basically it boots the range greatly. There is also the new Maverick ET-732, which is said to fix all the issues that the ET-73 had (range, switch position, etc).
Old 03-29-2011, 01:01 PM   #1716
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Going to have to look into that. Thanks Wayne.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #1717
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

Great stuff guys. Has anybody ever bought any spices from this place http://texasbbqrub.com/texasbbqrub.htm
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #1718
cigarusmaximus
Still Watching My Back

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #1719
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever View Post
Alright, I'm going for it.

Cored the cabbage

cooked up bacon, onions, garlic and butter.

Filled the cabbage

gonna throw it on the smoker tomorrow for about 3-4 hours then into the oven for about 2 hours. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Here's what I'm smoking tomorrow.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #1720
tupacboy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
tupacboy is on a distinguished road

gonna turn on the bradley this weekend for some ribs... last time i did ABT with them... want to try something new this time as a appetizer... any rec?
tupacboy is offline   Reply With Quote