Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
WaxingMoon
Humidor Builder

First Name: Ed
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
WaxingMoon will become famous soon enoughWaxingMoon will become famous soon enough
Default A Different Kind of Seal Test

I am building this Quarter Sawn White Oak humidor and decided to go with fuming the oak. Fuming is when you put the piece in a sealed container with a bowl or two of ammonia inside with it.....

The ammonia vapors (fumes) cause the tanins in the wood to react....causes a sort of chemical reaction that darkens the wood, especially oak due to it's high tanin content.... Hence, the term fuming....

So... I decided to put a test piece of Quarter Sawn White Oak inside the humidor to test the seal..... if the seal was bad, the test piece would have turned as the humidor did.....

In the picture, the test piece that was inside of the humidor during the fuming is the square on the left.... the "control" piece is the longer piece to the right, which was not involved with the process at all......

First time I've this......

So... I am very pleased to see that my seals on my humidors.....do just that. Seal it!

Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: A Different Kind of Seal Test

Very cool Ed!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

Awesome idea.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
REALMCCOY
Just trying to keep up

Trading: (0)
REALMCCOY is on a distinguished road

Absolutely beautiful. My favorite species of wood. Look forward to more fantastic pieces. Your work is truly inspiring. I have a white oak humidor that is about finished. Hopefully I can post some pics. Keep up the great work.
REALMCCOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
kickerb

I don't understand how this is a accurate test. Can you elaborate on how you confirm it's a good seal?
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #6
McSmokey
Feeling at Home

First Name: Justin
Trading: (30)
LGC
McSmokey will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
I don't understand how this is a accurate test. Can you elaborate on how you confirm it's a good seal?
The test block of Wood is put inside the Humidor, which is then Closed. The closed Humidor containing the block of wood is then placed inside the fuming container with the bowls of Ammonia. If the Humidor lacked a proper seal, then the small block of wood would have the same appearance as the Humidor due to the Ammonia vapors getting inside the Humidor. However since the Humidor has a good seal the vapors could not get to the small block of wood. Therefore Topnotch Seal.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

#1) that looks like a sweet humi
#2) Great test Ed, I'm glad it worked for you, and it should prove that you are making quality humis that have a great seal. Keep up the good work!