Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #41
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Is a Xikar really worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
Not true!

walk into any Palio retailer and they will swap it out with a brand new cutter on the spot.

instant gratification!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 AM   #42
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Not true!

If the blades of your Palio are not what they should be, walk into any Palio retailer and they will swap it out with a brand new cutter on the spot. Cost? $0.00

Yes. I know not every Palio owner has access to a Palio retailer and must use alternate methods (mail-in) but the cost is still the same.
You say potatoes, I say potatoes and MCS says grzobly (or something like that) but its all the same Peter. What I ment to say is that Palio stands by their product and offers the same awesome customer service as Xikar.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:06 AM   #43
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
You say potatoes, I say potatoes and MCS says grzobly (or something like that) but its all the same Peter. What I ment to say is that Palio stands by their product and offers the same awesome customer service as Xikar.
No argument with that, Ferdinand.
I just wanted to clarify that Palio does not charge and that if a retailer is nearby, one doesn't have to mail it in. I did not mean to suggest that Xikar's CS was not top notch.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #44
s15driftking
Go Browns!

First Name: Bobby
Trading: (16)
Partagas
s15driftking has a spectacular aura abouts15driftking has a spectacular aura about

The word is Gznorbit
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #45
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
Nothing wrong with either cutter...unless you have my problem...getting your thumb stuck in the Palio.

Which is why I stick with a Xikar...no fingers or thumbs getting stuck!!
Remember, Michael Jordan cut off the end of his thumb with a XiKar....so caution is important whatever cutter you choose!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #46
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Remember, Michael Jordan cut off the end of his thumb with a XiKar....
shows how razorsharp a Xikar cuts
Old 01-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #47
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
shows how razorsharp a Xikar cuts
Or what a clutz MJ was off the court.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
emtsmoker

I have to say that Xicar is hard to beat. Yes, they can be a bit more expensive than some of the others, but with their warranty, i think they are great. The warranty is untouchable. Doesn't matter what happens or how long you have had it. Send it in and they replace it. Go for it.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #49
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsmoker View Post
I have to say that Xicar is hard to beat. Yes, they can be a bit more expensive than some of the others, but with their warranty, i think they are great. The warranty is untouchable. Doesn't matter what happens or how long you have had it. Send it in and they replace it. Go for it.
Obviously, you are not familiar with Palio. Both products are good and offer outstanding CS. One thing Palio offers that Xikar doesn't is in store replacement. If you are near a Palio retailer, you don't have to mail it in.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #50
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

For all practical purposes, this is a religous issue... Both Xikar and Palio are good cutters, with good warrenties. I have been using a Xikar for years, and have been very happy with it.

I just got a Palio with an Escencia cigar sampler and am looking forward to giving it a try.

You can't have too many good cutters!
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #51
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

I have both, the Black Palio and the Xikar xi2. I think the Palio is better constructed and has a much smoother action. My Xikar sticks a bit ever after being refurbished.

That being said it's not really an apples to apples with the Xi2 since the Palio was $40 and the Xikar was like $21 or $22. If I had one of those really nice ones I might feel differently.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #52
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Remember, Michael Jordan cut off the end of his thumb with a XiKar....
Been using my

for quite a while now. I gotta wonder, with all of the different sticks i've cut with it... HOW THE **** DO YOU STICK YOUR FINGER INTO THAT CUTTER INSTEAD OF THE **** CIGAR?!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #53
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Been using my

for quite a while now. I gotta wonder, with all of the different sticks i've cut with it... HOW THE **** DO YOU STICK YOUR FINGER INTO THAT CUTTER INSTEAD OF THE **** CIGAR?!

Gives new meaning to the phrase "takin' it to the hole".
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #54
aich75013
Feeling at Home

First Name: Adrian
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
aich75013 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Been using my

for quite a while now.
I have the same cutter.

Quote:
I gotta wonder, with all of the different sticks i've cut with it... HOW THE **** DO YOU STICK YOUR FINGER INTO THAT CUTTER INSTEAD OF THE **** CIGAR?!

He must have been using his finger as a guide to where he wanted to cut his cigar.
aich75013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #55
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I have both and like them both. Most of the times I punch. If I am in my truck and cut I use the Palio 'cause that's where it stays. If I am in the Gator Cave and cut I use a Xikar 'cause that is where it stays.

The Palio does cut a tad smoother, but they both do a fine job!!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #56
druturn

Quote:
Obviously, you are not familiar with Palio. Both products are good and offer outstanding CS. One thing Palio offers that Xikar doesn't is in store replacement. If you are near a Palio retailer, you don't have to mail it in.
Not entirely true, all the B&M's around me at least offer free of charge, in-store, no questions asked replacement of Xikars. I am not sure if B&M's in other states offer this but the ones near Dallas do!
Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #57
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
Not entirely true, all the B&M's around me at least offer free of charge, in-store, no questions asked replacement of Xikars. I am not sure if B&M's in other states offer this but the ones near Dallas do!
Point taken.

Being a die-hard Palio user, I am unfamiliar with how Xikar returns are handled. I was responding to the post that mentioned a cost associated with sending it in via mail.

What I do know is that any Palio retailer anywhere will swap one out at no charge.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #58
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
All official retailers are instructed to give them a new replacement in-store as a part of the unconditional lifetime guarantee. I understand Palio does the same. So, imo, you can't go wrong with either and it will come down to personal preference. I say buy them both! And try to have a Havana cutter.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #59
TheRiddick
Non-believer

First Name: Greg
Trading: (7)
TheRiddick will become famous soon enoughTheRiddick will become famous soon enough

Palio and Xikar user since mid '90s. Last year bought Xikar Multitool, makes every other cutter obsolete, IMO, very compact, extremely sharp and cuts any RG cigar to boot. Seen them at $30 or so online.
TheRiddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #60
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

I have both a Palio and Xikar and the Palio is my everyday cutter...the Xikar I keep in my locker at my B&M...in case I forget to bring my Palio with me...

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote