Old 07-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #1021
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Hey Adam...if you like smoked eggs...you have got to try this recipe for smoked egg salad...it's amazing...and super simple.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_de...6&EpisodeID=35

I've done it with 6 eggs instead of 4...and 1 tsp of mayo per egg. And make sure the eggs are dry before smoking them.
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 AM   #1022
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxpuff View Post
Hey Adam...if you like smoked eggs...you have got to try this recipe for smoked egg salad...it's amazing...and super simple.

http://www.primalgrill.org/recipe_de...6&EpisodeID=35

I've done it with 6 eggs instead of 4...and 1 tsp of mayo per egg. And make sure the eggs are dry before smoking them.
Thanks Luke, I've actually thought about doing the eggs that way before, pre-boiled until they are almost fully cooked, then peeled and onto the grill to finish, but never bothered to try it.

I'm not really a big fan of egg salad or hard boiled eggs though, just once in a while.

Here's the deal behind the egg when I'm smoking peppers - it started out as a cheap, easy, foodsafe way for me to monitor how much smoke I was laying down. I needed something that would give me an indicator by changing color as I cooked and a white egg was the best thing I could think of at the time. Lots of surface area for smoke to deposit, so I could watch the color change, if it was darkening too fast and getting sticky when I put my finger on it, I was laying down too much smoke too fast, and would be at risk for very bitter peppers (plum wood can be kind of quirky). If it had runs in the deposits, then it meant things were running moist in the cook chamber and it was going to take awhile for the chilis to dry. If it split early on, I was running too hot too fast (this was before I bothered to add temp gauges to my pits). And so on... There was no worry about it contaminating the peppers or the pit since it was a piece of food that didn't splatter or drip. I used to just leave the thing in the entire cook and throw it away when I was done. Once I got the hang of it, I started pulling the thing out after about an hour and a half and using it as a snack with what was probably my fourth or fifth beer...
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #1023
tuxpuff
Feeling at Home

First Name: Luke
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
tuxpuff will become famous soon enough

Great idea
tuxpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #1024
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner123 View Post
You should smoke a butt and use the meat to make the hog apple beans. Once you have those beans, you will judge all others by them. Thanks again Brent for ruining me
I adapted this recipe to exclude the apples which I love fresh, but am not a fan of cooked.
I diced some peaches in there which I love every way you can make em. I am sure there is
no significant damage to the recipe. Put too much mustard though, and I am sure I am going to
hear about that one. I got em in the fridge waiting for Saturday.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #1025
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

As usual, I get the meat off the grill and foiled up and THEN I remember that
if I do not photo the meato, I get a rash round here. Cooked up 4 racks of spares
today, plus a large foil pan of beans placed under under the meat, cooked
along the lines of the recipe above, the apple hog. Cep'n mine was with
peaches. Beans came out great, the ribs were 4 perfect racks, but I foiled
three before I remembered to get the camera. Still, better one photo than
none. Imagine this pure perfection, x4. Everything was cooked to be frozen
for a trip to the Smokies on Sunday. Who knows what day we will eat it.

I am much happier with my smoke ring this week. I kind of dropped the ball
a few weekends ago and it took me a while to figure out what I had done wrong
Mostly just inconsistent fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meat 30july1.jpg (69.4 KB, 574 views)
File Type: jpg meaat 30 july2.jpg (95.5 KB, 556 views)

Last edited by OLS; 07-31-2010 at 12:05 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:16 PM   #1026
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Seriously good looking stuff there Brad.

Even if you really only cooked one rack of ribs.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM   #1027
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

Great lookin' ribs Brad!!!

I too like the bean recipe better with peaches and make them that way most of the time. 4 Time World MIM Whole Hog Champion Myron Mixon makes them in his restaurant using pretty much the same recipe with, of course since it is in GA, peaches. If they are good enough for Myron the are good enough for me!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:19 PM   #1028
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post

I too like the bean recipe better with peaches and make them that way most of the time. 4 Time World MIM Whole Hog Champion Myron Mixon makes them in his restaurant using pretty much the same recipe with, of course since it is in GA, peaches. If they are good enough for Myron the are good enough for me!!!
x2!
Old 07-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #1029
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:

Is THIS the recipe you guys are modifying? Or is there another one around here somewhere?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #1030
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

That be the one!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #1031
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #1032
fxpose
Park Drive Smokehouse

Trading: (0)
fxpose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
I decided to break in the new OTG over the weekend and tried making baby back ribs for the first time ever.

It was windy and took me a while to get the temp stabilized at 330* (according to the lid thermometer that came with the kettle). It was the lowest I could get it.

As far as the grill temp goes, I wanted to get it down to 250-275*, but I think the weather and the wind messed with it. Next time, I’ll try using 6 lit briquettes and a water pan over them and see if that helps.

Anyway, If I can find a way to get the temp down, I'll try a pork butt.
Mike, I think I know why you temp readings are high. The lid thermometer on your 26" OTG is mounted directly opposite the vents, on the other side of the lid, and sits almost directly above the coals. Using another thermometer through a vent hole should give you a much lower and accurate reading.
fxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #1033
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice lookin' ribs Brad.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #1034
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Partagas

I did a case (8) of butts this weekend. I was cooking 4 for a family get together and figured I would put the rest in the freezer. Dang easy cook... on at about 9 Friday night off at about 1 yesterday afternoon. Gotta love a Spicewine and a Stoker!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #1035
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxpose View Post
Mike, I think I know why you temp readings are high. The lid thermometer on your 26" OTG is mounted directly opposite the vents, on the other side of the lid, and sits almost directly above the coals. Using another thermometer through a vent hole should give you a much lower and accurate reading.
That's some good thinking George. Thanks. I'm going to order the one you suggested.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #1036
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Paella Cabra on Friday night. That's goat to the rest of us. It sad to see how young this goat was, but it was tender and novel meat for me to use in Paella.

The whole front end of a goat works well in a smoker similar to a lamb shoulder, but is smaller. The back half of the goat does not fair as well in the smoker; tends to be tough.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #1037
Scothew
CA Scott #2658

First Name: Scott
Trading: (5)
Partagas
Scothew will become famous soon enoughScothew will become famous soon enough

Cooked a couple of butts for a friends lake party. Turned out great. 11hrs on the smoker after a 24hr soak in the brine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1273.jpg (120.1 KB, 553 views)
Scothew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #1038
Stevez
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Steve
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Stevez will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scothew View Post
Cooked a couple of butts for a friends lake party. Turned out great. 11hrs on the smoker after a 24hr soak in the brine.

Scott, I've never brined pork butts because they seem to be juicy enough with all of the fat content and the low/slow method. How much of a difference have you noticed when you brine them? I did 2 butts this weekend and a brisket via the overnight method and they were a massive hit for my family reunion. BTW, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Thanks. Steve
Stevez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #1039
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevez View Post
Scott, I've never brined pork butts because they seem to be juicy enough with all of the fat content and the low/slow method. How much of a difference have you noticed when you brine them? I did 2 butts this weekend and a brisket via the overnight method and they were a massive hit for my family reunion. BTW, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. Thanks. Steve
The texture and saltiness are different from brining. You'll notice it on any meat you brine. I think it becomes "stringier" with brining.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:52 AM   #1040
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Quote:
I did a case (8) of butts this weekend. I was cooking 4 for a family get together and figured I would put the rest in the freezer. Dang easy cook... on at about 9 Friday night off at about 1 yesterday afternoon. Gotta love a Spicewine and a Stoker!!!

Wow Brent, thats a lot o Pork. Sounds fun.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote